Eset Smart Security 8 is freezing Firefox

• ESET Insiders

I'm using Eset Smart Security 8 with Windows 7X64 Ultimate. I have been having a problem with Firefox Web Browser freezing for about a week now. If I have several tabs opens then the browser will freeze when trying to navigate between tabs. The browser usually begins to respond again after about 5 seconds, but sometimes it takes a little longer.  Also, it takes forever for the content of some web pages to load. Facebook is the worse. When I open the Web developer component from within Firefox to see what is having trouble loading it is usually an image file, but I do not remember which type of image it is. I suspected it was Eset Smart Security 8 that was causing the problem so I waited until Firefox was freezing badly to disable ESS's AV Protection by right clicking on the tray icon and, choosing temporarily disable protection. FF was freezing anytime I tried to navigate between tabs, and my browser was loading web pages extremely slow. After I disabled ESS AV protection the problem went away. I used Firefox for about 20 minutes with the AV disabled, and I did not have any of the problems I was experiencing. Firefox no longer was freezing, and the content of web pages was loading quit fast. Also all the web pages I surfed during that time finished loading.  I installed Pre released updates to see if that would fix the problem, but it did not have any affect from what I can tell. Something to note about the installation of the pre release update was that I got an error after the update installed. It said something about an undocumented error. I got the same error during the beta test period as well so I was not concerned about the error since Eset never replied back to me when I reported it on the forum. I figured it must not be a big deal. What do you need from me in order to pinpoint the problem? I will have to go back to using Eset Smart Security 7, or NOD 32 7 with Online Armor if I can not get this problem resolved.

One thing to note is that web pages loading very slowly, and not fully loading the content has been a problem for weeks now. The problem with Firefox freezing, and becoming unresponsive only began to occur in the last few days.

Edited by cutting_edgetech

imo not a eset issue. does the same with avira, webroot, and norton installed. i see the same issue. i actually reportd this to another av company thinking it was them until i saw the issue with all of the above mentioned as well as eset. i have also seen the slow loading as well and the freezing for me started back further than you are saying but i run the beat firefox so maybe the issue was there from the beat and moved down to the stable (not knowing which channel you are on with firefox)

Edited by zfactor

Facebook is the worse.

There you are correct! :D

No seriously...

So you have two issues:

1. Firefox is slowing down.
  2. Pre-release updates aren't worked.

About 1.

Can you narrow that down to specific websites?

Does the slow down goes away if you add exclude Firefox from protocol filtering?

post-3952-0-03387900-1412441622_thumb.png

Do you have SSL scanning enabled?

About 2.

At first, just as a confirmation: Normal stable updates are working fine?

Clear your update cache like described here and try it again.

If it is still not working create a Wireshark log during you are trying to update your VSD with re-released updates and sent it to a moderator.

• ESET Insiders

imo not a eset issue. does the same with avira, webroot, and norton installed. i see the same issue. i actually reportd this to another av company thinking it was them until i saw the issue with all of the above mentioned as well as eset. i have also seen the slow loading as well and the freezing for me started back further than you are saying but i run the beat firefox so maybe the issue was there from the beat and moved down to the stable (not knowing which channel you are on with firefox)

I'm not so sure about that. The problem I have been experiencing went away after disabling ESS AV protection. Maybe it was just coincidence. I should know soon. I'm going to roll my computer back to a time before installing ESS 8 tomorrow.

• ESET Insiders

Facebook is the worse.

There you are correct! :D

No seriously...

So you have two issues:

1. Firefox is slowing down.
  2. Pre-release updates aren't worked.

About 1.

Can you narrow that down to specific websites?

Does the slow down goes away if you add exclude Firefox from protocol filtering?

Do you have SSL scanning enabled?

About 2.

At first, just as a confirmation: Normal stable updates are working fine?

Clear your update cache like described here and try it again.

If it is still not working create a Wireshark log during you are trying to update your VSD with re-released updates and sent it to a moderator.

Is there any difference in excluding FireFox from protocol filtering, and just disabling the AV protection? Does excluding the FireFox from protocol filtering disable the AV, and Firewall or just the AV? I'm likely going to have to roll my computer back tomorrow, and start using NOD 32 V7 again to see if I still have the problem then.

• Administrators

Is there any difference in excluding FireFox from protocol filtering, and just disabling the AV protection? Does excluding the FireFox from protocol filtering disable the AV, and Firewall or just the AV? I'm likely going to have to roll my computer back tomorrow, and start using NOD 32 V7 again to see if I still have the problem then.

That's not safe at all. If you exclude a browser from protocol filtering, access to websites with dangerous content won't be blocked, files downloaded via http/https won't be scanned and cloud block won't work either. Does disabling only web protection make the issue go away? What are the hardware specifications of your computer?

That's not safe at all. If you exclude a browser from protocol filtering, access to websites with dangerous content won't be blocked, files downloaded via http/https won't be scanned and cloud block won't work either. Does disabling only web protection make the issue go away? What are the hardware specifications of your computer?

Yes, my question was only to troubleshoot the problem.

Of course you have to include your browser into protocol filtering after it.

• ESET Insiders

I have been using Kaspersky Security Suite for a a few days now, and my browsing speed has greatly increased. Pages load much faster, and I have not come across any web pages that fail to finish loading. Firefox still does occasionally freeze when switching between tabs so that particular problem seems to be a bug with Firefox. The slow loading of web pages, and failure of web pages to finish loading seems to have been caused by Eset Smart Security 8.

• ESET Insiders

Yes, disabling web protection fixed the problem. My hardware is the following: Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz, 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz, 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (ATI), 300 GB Velociraptor 10,000 rpm.  Windows 7X64 Ultimate.

I'm going to use Kaspersky for a while since it is working so well for me at the moment. I have a lot of work I need to get done, and ESS 8 slows my productivity down to a crawl. I will switch back to Eset Smart Security 8 when I get caught up, and have more time to trouble shoot the problem. It will probably come down to me reporting multiple web pages that load very slowly, or fail to finish loading. Then with a little luck Eset will be able to reproduce the problem.