Question for Eset Security 16.0.22

I know all secure browser is on by default.  But can I disable that or do I leave that on.  Just wondering when I'm watching Netflix or any other streaming channel in a browser like Firefox should secure all browsers be on?

• Administrators

Currently it's possible to choose between securing all browsers and redirecting to a secure browser. In the future it will be only possible to enable to disable Banking and payment protection since redirection to a secure browser will be removed completely.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Currently it's possible to choose between securing all browsers and redirecting to a secure browser. In the future it will be only possible to enable to disable Banking and payment protection since redirection to a secure browser will be removed completely.

Question: currently in EIS, when disabling Banking and Payment Protection, it warns the user that protection is downgraded, pretty much requiring that it be left enabled even thought the user might not want it.

image.thumb.png.cfeb87c0e72df9322ccf54316904d09a.png

If someone does not want to enable the Secure all Browsers feature in future updates, and disabling Baking and Payment Protection will be the only way to avoid it, will EIS continue nag the user that it should be enabled to achieve full protection?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Purpleroses said:

So it is alright to watch streaming sites and do searches in the secured browser?

I think so since there are no special recommendations for using the secured browser.

46 minutes ago, Marcos said:

If you disable BPP is the advanced setup, you won't get a notification that it's paused:

image.png

Thanks, I wasn't aware the behavior was different depending on where the option was set.

Thank you Marco.  I noticed something.  When I click on Eset Icon on my task bar and then close after looking at something.  I noticed in my task manager that is Eset Main Gui I running .  I thought once you closed the interface that would stop until you opened it again.  I noticed it happened a couple of times where it was still running in task manager.

59 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

When I click on Eset Icon on my task bar and then close after looking at something.  I noticed in my task manager that is Eset Main Gui I running .  I thought once you closed the interface that would stop until you opened it again.  I noticed it happened a couple of times where it was still running in task manager.

I believe you are referring to eguiProxy.exe. It is a helper process used to load the Eset GUI interface. 

In prior Eset versions, it would eventually disappear after Eset GUI was closed. Appears with ver. 16, Eset just kept in running.

30 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The Egui.exe process should terminate automatically if gui is not open for 20-30s.

It's not terminating in ver. 16. Also odd is it's running as a stand alone process versus as a child process of ekrn.exe.

Eset_GUI.thumb.png.22e25355112061e4f56506288cc23319.png

Edited by itman

53 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

The Eset Main GUI process should only be running when the Eset GUI interface has been accessed. It should auto close itself in a short time after exit from the Eset GUI interface. If its constantly running on your ver. 16 installation, you might have to uninstall/reinstall Eset to straighten things out.

• ESET Insiders
10 hours ago, Purpleroses said:

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about.  I circled it

Eset.PNG

+1

If doing a long scan, Eset main Gui not auto-closing. Wainting 10 minutes and still present.

1.png.9fe84b2568e15c4a2b2680c7602d0a76.png

• ESET Insiders
58 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Don't run a scan but keep GUI idle and check again.

I think, I will create a ticket about it, the same was in version 15.

16 hours ago, Marcos said:

No problems here with auto-closing egui.exe on Windows 10 nor Windows 11 22H2:

Today after a Win 10 22H2 startup, the issue is no longer present.

Either Eset pushed a fix for it, or we have an intermittent issue here. In the case of the later, it will be difficult to diagnose the source.

@Marcos, I found the source that keeps Eset Main GUI process running. It's Win 10 standby mode which was my initial suspect.

Upon resume from standby, open Eset GUI. Upon close of Eset GUI, Eset Main GUI process keeps running. Specifically, Win 10 sign off first. Then, PC entering sleep mode while signed off.

Given all the past issues I have had with Eset networking upon resume from standby mode, add this one to the list.

Edited by itman

I was able to terminate Eset Main GUI process by killing TpReleaseCleanupGroupMembers thread via Process Explorer. This in itself was interesting. Thereafter, Eset Main GUI process starts upon access to Eset GUI and stops upon close of Eset Main GUI process.

-EDIT- It gets weirder. After terminating that thread, the issue of Eset Main GUI process staying running after return from standby no longer exists! Me thinks perhaps a rogue ntdll.dll:

Faulting application name: egui.exe, version: 10.30.8.0, time stamp: 0x634ebbab
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2130, time stamp: 0xb5ced1c6
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000052d08
Faulting process id: 0x7a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8ec8ce6951c5f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\egui.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 144718a8-688d-446f-b258-951d7fb063b1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings after a cold system startup.

Edited by itman