Update not digitally signed?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Windows 7 64X HP, ESS 7.0.317.4.

Through either auto-update or manual I'm getting a Windows pop-up that states :

This virus signature update file has not been digitally signed! Do you wish to apply this update anyway?

Do you want to use this update anyway?

I chose no.

Prior to today, since installing ESS (aprox. 4 mos), I've not received a message of this sort.

Does someone have an explanation for this pop-up?

• Administrators

This would happen if you connect via a proxy server. If the proxy somehow modifies update files, the digital signature will become invalid and the message will appear. Even if you don't use any proxy server personally, your ISP may. To confirm or deny my assumption, you should create a Wireshark log from an attempt to update and deliver it to Customer care for analysis.

Thank you, Marcos.

I don't use a proxy server and this is a first time occurrence (with no discernible changes to either my machine or @ my ISP) . I don't have the time to learn about Wireshark right now but I do appreciate your offer towards understanding the whys of this pop-up.

For now, I accepted the unsigned update. If it becomes a continuous or continual issue, I'll have to set aside time to learn about and apply your suggestion.

Yeah I got this message today as well, first time since I started to use ESET. And I don't use a proxy either.

But the last time this was reported by some users on the forum a couple months ago I did not see this message, but this time I did.

Though I don't have time to troubleshoot this now as it's more important I try out a fix for v8...wich is what I will do now.  And now that is done, so far so good :)

Edited by SweX

• Administrators
  • Solution

Ok, it seems there's actually a problem with one of the update files that is downloaded when you have a signature database older by 5 versions. It should be fixed soon.

Thank you for the heads-up and reporting the issue.

eshrugged, you're welcome. :)

And thanks for the update Marcos. ;)

I just remembered that the last time this happened it was also first thought to be related to some proxy usage, but it was confirmed it was connected to the updates: https://forum.eset.com/topic/3026-eset-nod32-av-update-not-digitally-signed/?p=17520

Edited by SweX