mirror location compatibility and parameter

tbsky
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hi:

recently endpoint 9.1 seems mature, so I begin the upgrade procedure. but  I found there is a long term confusion about the mirror server.

currently the server mirrors product "ep7,ep8,ep9". but in history every time when new endpoint product releases, the mirror tool won't catch up. so early ep8 product need to specify mirror location to "ep7" and early ep9 product need to specify mirror location to "ep8".  what's the logic behind the scene? is ep7/ep8/ep9 mirror location some how compatible?

I also need to specify endpoint mirror location "customer server" policy like "hxxp://nod32.example.com/nod32-update/eset_upd/ep8".  is there a way to specify the location automatically by product version? something like "hxxp://nod32.example.com/nod32-update/eset_upd/ep${version}  so ep7/ep8/ep9 will find their way home.

• Administrators

While dll modules are shared across products, different versions may be available for specific product versions at times (e.g. we may release a module update only for v9 products and for older versions with a delay). Even if a new version of the mirror tool was not available on the day of release of a new major version, you could temporarily use the latest available. Of course, we'll do our best to make an updated version of the tool available on the day of release of new major product versions.

20 minutes ago, Marcos said:

While dll modules are shared across products, different versions may be available for specific product versions at times (e.g. we may release a module update only for v9 products and for older versions with a delay). Even if a new version of the mirror tool was not available on the day of release of a new major version, you could temporarily use the latest available. Of course, we'll do our best to make an updated version of the tool available on the day of release of new major product versions.

thank a lot for quick reply. in my current situation, we are using ep8 and want to upgrade to ep9. so there will be some time that the environment will have two versions co-exist. should I set the "custom server" policy to "hxxp://xxxx/ep8" and then switch to "hxxp://xxxx/ep9" after all the clients have upgrade to ep9. or I can set the policy to "hxxp://xxxx/ep9" directly even if some pending-upgrade clients are still using ep8?

• Administrators
  • Solution

Since we don't expect any difference between v8 and v9 modules, it doesn't matter which version/folder you choose to mirror.

12 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Since we don't expect any difference between v8 and v9 modules, it doesn't matter which version/folder you choose to mirror.

thanks a lot for the information! then I can change the path policy to final "ep9" directory.