Email Scan Messing Up Emails

Today I set ESET 8 to auto-clean while scanning.

It found and deleted three Emails from one of my accounts in Thunderbird.

The Inbox for that account was now scrambled, as described earlier in this thread.

I copied the entire folder from the corrupted account to a second location and then started deleting personal Emails from the original folder so that I could send it in for inspection by Marcos.

After deleting a ton of personal Emails, but leaving the scrambled ones intact, I closed and restarted Thunderbird. All of the corrupted Emails were now fixed!

I am assuming that Thunderbird somehow knows how to re-index the folder after those Emails were deleted by ESET 8.

I never bothered to try this, to my recollection, because my computer is in Sleep mode when not in use and I rarely restart Thunderbird.

The only thing different now than earlier when I started this thread is that I upgraded from ESET 7 to 8.

Maybe this is a fluke, but I will try this method again if a folder gets corrupted in a subsequent scan.

You might try a reboot, and wait 15min before doing your daily on-demand scan- This allows windows to release all files...

This cuts several minutes off my on-demand scan times.

I also do a no-activity reboot at the end of the day, and wait 45min before shutdown.

My system comes up Much faster after cold startup, but sometimes I have to reboot after waiting 35min   before browsers... work correctly?

This isn't just with my ESS v8, but also with my old KIS2014- I feel it may have something to do with Trusting changes...?

My system is set to come out of Sleep mode at 12:30 AM. ESET is set to start its scan at 12:35 AM.

There was a time where if I set ESET to scan at 12:31 AM it would never start. For whatever reason, it needs that idle time before it will automatically start its daily scan.

The Emails only get messed up if ESET deletes one of them during the scan; otherwise, Emails never get messed up.

I found that turning Thunderbird off and then back on after an Email is deleted by ESET seems to force it to re-index everything. It worked once and I will wait until it messes things up again and see if it works the second time.

I'd suggest disabling email files in the scanner setup to prevent mailboxes on a disk from being scanned internally.

Then I won't have any scanning of Emails at all.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned POP3S being used with yahoo mail and Thunderbird, but it didn't seem like anyone wanted me to use protocol scanning either.

Please see earlier posts in this thread, if you have the time.

Thanks!

Well you can enable the protocol scanner, but then your issue seems to happen...
Or was it while scanning with the disk?

(I don't know this anymore and I didn't want to read the whole topic again...)

But I think Marcos suggestion earlier was quite good:

As a preventive measure, I'd recommend disabling scanning of email files (which is by default). The best would be if you could provide me with good inbox and inbox.msf files that allegedly get corrupt after being scanned by ESET. I understand that they may contain personal information and therefore you might need to create a test account to reproduce it without any personal messages.

• Administrators

Cleaning of mailboxes has never been supported. If a particular message was identified as infected by the on-demand scanner, it was always necessary to look up the message in the email client and delete it manually.

Not sure if you merely excluded Thunderbird from protocol filtering and left SSL scanning enabled or you disabled protocol filtering completely. The latter is not recommended as it would also disable http filtering which is a strong protection layer. Try enabling SSL scanning as well as pre-release updates to make sure that you test it with the most current modules.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaning of mailboxes has never been supported. If a particular message was identified as infected by the on-demand scanner, it was always necessary to look up the message in the email client and delete it manually.

Not sure if you merely excluded Thunderbird from protocol filtering and left SSL scanning enabled or you disabled protocol filtering completely. The latter is not recommended as it would also disable http filtering which is a strong protection layer. Try enabling SSL scanning as well as pre-release updates to make sure that you test it with the most current modules.

When I perform an on-demand scan and a suspicious Email is found in my Email dir, ESET deletes said Email from the hard drive. That was where the indexing issues arose and messed up Emails with one subject, but the body of another message, etc.

If I quit Thunderbird and restart it, the indexing seems to be fine again and the Emails look OK.

Thunderbird accesses my Email this way:

==========

Thunderbird accesses Yahoo mail via a POP server:

plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 995

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication: Normal Password

==========

I have not excluded Thunderbird from protocol scanning.

I am using these settings within ESET:

Enable IMAP checking

Enable POP3 checking (which includes the ghosted POP3S protocol checking for selected ports (995))

Enable IMAP checking

Enable POP3 checking (which includes the ghosted POP3S protocol checking for selected ports (995))

If you want that the emails (which are accessed via SSL/TLS) will be scanned then you have to enable the SSL/TLS scanning in ESS.

post-3952-0-56474900-1413815483_thumb.png

Enable IMAP checking

If you want that the emails (which are accessed via SSL/TLS) will be scanned then you have to enable the SSL/TLS scanning in ESS.

Yes, I had that enabled in the past, but Thunderbird kept repeatedly asking me to accept the certificate from Yahoo's Mail Plus system.

I just enabled it again and, so far, it hasn't asked me to accept the certificate multiple times as it did before.