What is the Difference Between BIOS Virus and Bootkit Virus?

just

I have already updated the BIOS. But they said that in some places it may not go.

I don't quite understand the beginning, but are you trying to say:

By type, did you mean that malware can access your data without installing it? @Nightowl

• Most Valued Members

I will add that a virus has to be found for protection to be added.

It's not impossible that a virus is out there that has been out for years and never detected. But as people have said these viruses are probably used on a select number of computers as the more computers used the more likely someone will detect something.

Some vulnerabilities can exist for years without being detected. I'm sure the Intel spectre one did. The NSA and other government companies actually look for vulnerabilities and keep them to their selves so they have stuff they can use, rather than reporting them and getting them fixed 

Ok, but that's not the problem right now. my problem:

Can these BIOS viruses access anything from my computer and my other device that connects to my infected computer? that's my problem right now. @peteyt @Nightowl

• Most Valued Members
12 minutes ago, Yusuf Alp said:

Ok, but that's not the problem right now. my problem:

Can these BIOS viruses access anything from my computer and my other device that connects to my infected computer? that's my problem right now. @peteyt @Nightowl

Possibly if you are infected. But if you think you are just flash your bios

I don't quite understand though? What does it mean if you flash the BIOS? And can uefi-mbr-bootkit virus access anything from my computer and my other device connected to my infected computer, or can other types of BIOS viruses also access it? @peteyt

On 10/23/2022 at 12:43 PM, peteyt said:

identifying possible malware by looking for suspicious activity.

I have been using ESET for a number of years... 

I never got a pop-up from HIPS , about a "suspicious activity". When I say "never" , I mean "absolutely never" in 7-8 years.

Did you?

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, Yusuf Alp said:

I don't quite understand though? What does it mean if you flash the BIOS? And can uefi-mbr-bootkit virus access anything from my computer and my other device connected to my infected computer, or can other types of BIOS viruses also access it? @peteyt

I'm confused about your post.

Do you think you are infected or is this theoretical? Any type of malware could be designed to steal stuff.

I'm no expert but if your safe e.g. avoid dangerous websites you should be okay. 

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, rotaru said:

I have been using ESET for a number of years... 

I never got a pop-up from HIPS , about a "suspicious activity". When I say "never" , I mean "absolutely never" in 7-8 years.

Did you?

I don't really use hips it's set to automatic. There's probably AVs that work better at identifying suspicious stuff but they probably also find a lot more false positives

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, Yusuf Alp said:

I tried to say, I'm asking if all types of BIOS viruses can steal my stuff or just bootkit viruses? @peteyt

Any malware could potentially steal stuff

Ok but as far as I know the boot virus called bootkit-uefi and mbr virus can steal things and break into disks etc. can skip. But other types of BIOS viruses can be found on disks etc. I know it can't jump and steal data @peteyt

• Most Valued Members
Just now, Yusuf Alp said:

Ok but as far as I know the boot virus called bootkit-uefi and mbr virus can steal things and break into disks etc. can skip. But other types of BIOS viruses can be found on disks etc. I know it can't jump and steal data @peteyt

I don't really know much but all malware has the potential to steal data, cause damage etc. Just avoid dodgy websites, keep windows, software, AVs etc. Up to date

• Most Valued Members
3 minutes ago, Yusuf Alp said:

It's already up to date.

So, is it possible that what I'm saying is true? I asked someone I thought was knowledgeable. @peteyt

I and others have answered it multiple times. Any malware has the potential to steal data. If you are not infected you are safe.

Ok thanks.

Well, if this virus stole something from me, it would be obvious, wouldn't it?

Also, can these BIOS viruses infect disks, usb or anywhere else they can?

Can the BIOS virus infect the BIOS directly? @peteyt

• Most Valued Members
23 minutes ago, Yusuf Alp said:

Ok thanks.

Well, if this virus stole something from me, it would be obvious, wouldn't it?

Also, can these BIOS viruses infect disks, usb or anywhere else they can?

Can the BIOS virus infect the BIOS directly? @peteyt

As I mentioned malware can infect multiple places. You keep asking the same question when it's already been answered.

Just have safe practises and you'll be fine. That's the only advice I can give 

Ok thanks.

Alright:

I was making the taskbar transparent with translucent tb to customize the taskbar and using the start from the settings to bring the applications to the middle. (I think it was there when I right clicked on the taskbar and looked at the tools) However, when I turned on the computer a few days ago, the applications did not appear in the Taskbar, the Taskbar was pitch black and the programs that should normally be opened at startup did not open, including antivirus. I opened it with my own hand, the program did not open normally. @peteyt