Connection issues with ESET Smart Security 8 firewall

• Administrators

You can enable logging of blocked connections in the IDS setup and reproduce the block. Then check the firewall log to find out what communication was blocked. Please paste the complete records here. Also you can right-click the record to create a rule allowing this communication in the future.

If I switch my network from public to private the problem is gone, so it's only happening under public. My settings for home network was always public(without problem) because that is safer, but now I can't able to work under public because of this connection issue.

Your local network should be in the trusted zone otherwise you can expect problems with communicating with other devices in the network as crucial services are allowed only in the trusted zone. If it used to work before with your local subnet not being in the TZ (public network), it could be that a bug was fixed in a recent firewall module update and it didn't work correctly before.

Ok thanks to help to understand the situation!

Other questions related your reply:

1. How I put my local network into Trusted Zone? (step-by-step)

2. If I put the local network into Truste Zone can I switch to Public Network? (without errors and connection losts)

Last one, is it really safer to work under Public Network than Home network? (If it's the same the above 2 question are irrelevant)

thanks Marcos

Edited by esetreg

1. & 2.
Usually you can switch the network mode here:
post-3952-0-23183100-1416392631_thumb.png

And of course you can also switch freely between the modes.

Normally zones with the "privilege" as a trusted zone should be created automatically (they are shown as "automatically authenticated" in the rules and zones editor)
If this isn't the case then you can add it manually by adding this IP to your trusted zone:
post-3952-0-54318700-1419267762_thumb.png

This will add the complete LAN to the trusted zone.

Theoretically the public network mode is safer than the home network mode. E.g. if you're in a public WLAN (e.g. in a café or similar) then the public network mode is the one you should use (otherwise you would leave your device at risk).

If you're in your home LAN then it's usually not important for your security which mode you choose. As long as you are behind a router then you can choose the home mode without any risk. But if you don't need features like remote desktop or file sharing, which are run from another device in your network, then you can also set it to public mode without any disadvantage.

Edited by rugk

I am on the public profile and my Internet connection is just fine. I am connected to my router via a D-Link USB WAP; ID of which is what is penciled out in the screen shot.

post-6784-0-25442900-1429474799_thumb.png