Will an ESET Internet Security license also support a virtual machine on the same computer?

Go to solution Solved by Nightowl,

I know that ESET sells licenses for cases where multiple virtual machines are being used as actual separate functioning machines (e.g. server farm).

However, for the case where a non-business user has a single virtual machine on the same computer ESET is installed on, where the VM is simply used for occasional testing, can the same ESET license work on that virtual machine?

Or does ESET force you to buy another license for that use case?

• Most Valued Members
  • Solution

Yes the virtual machine would be seen as separate license seat , because it just acts like a normal computer and it's using a seat/place from the license that you have.

Where ever you will install ESET with your license whether it was virtual or physical , it will count as a Seat/Place in the license size.

For example you had a license for 5 devices

You install ESET in Physical and then after you install ESET in Virtual Machine

Your usage is 2/5

Edited by Nightowl

I understand, but that's unfortunate, as the two use cases are very different.

I guess I will have to find a different solution than using ESET.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, Nightowl said:

because it just acts like a normal computer

Only "acts" like a normal computer but it is not.

In the end of the day is only ONE physical machine.

31 minutes ago, rotaru said:

And that was my thought exactly.

It seems wrong to charge for two machines in this context.

• Most Valued Members
7 hours ago, rotaru said:

Yet you have another system installed in that physical machine which is virtual and have ESET and using a license key from the license

Some people will bring a physical PC and make 10 virtual machines inside and will have to install an AV , so imagine if it doesn't count , it would be loss for sales to the company.

15 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

Yet you have another system installed in that physical machine which is virtual and have ESET and using a license key from the license

Some people will bring a physical PC and make 10 virtual machines inside and will have to install an AV , so imagine if it doesn't count , it would be loss for sales to the company.

If they are being used for personal use and not business, then it shouldn't matter.  One license should cover all VMs on the same machine as a licensed host computer.

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, AMbit said:

If they are being used for personal use and not business, then it shouldn't matter.  One license should cover all VMs on the same machine as a licensed host computer.

Sadly I presume most AVs if not all would work the same way for paid products because while it's virtual it basically is seen as another machine. You could contact East and possibly get something sorted or discount but I don't think they'd let you install eset twice without additional costs