ESET Smart Security 8 VSD update failed

Go to solution Solved by itman,

Hello, yesterday at 28th of September my ESS 8.0.319.0 started giving me errors on both manual and automatic updates.

The message I get is "Virus signature database update ended with an error" in red letters and a red exclamation mark which points out to me that "Maximum protection is not ensured".

I did no changes in my system that should cause something like this, but just to be safe, I used Macrium Reflect to restore a full system backup I had done on 21st of September. On that day and up until the 28th, ESET was updating itself automatically just fine, as always.

Frustrated, I then restored to an even earlier backup, on September 8th. Same issue.

I also tried what the troubleshooting guide tells me:

I checked my username and password, they are correct, I cleared the update cache from the Advanced Setup (F5), I made sure that the "Do not use proxy server" option is selected.

Some more things I tried:

- I checked my internet and it is fine, I checked my modem/router settings and they're fine, I even tried disabling my router's Firewall, I changed my DNS server settings to Google, then Cloudflare, and then back to my ISP's

- I checked all startup services and apps from MSCONFIG (no issues there)

- I downloaded the ESET Online Scanner to check for malware/viruses on my system and I KNOW that one is fully updated with the latest virus sig database because I saw it download them

- Tried uninstalling it, and downloading the latest version, but for some reason, ESSP 15.2 slowed down my browsing speed to a crawl, and there were some websites it wouldnt let me visit even with all protection features temporarily disabled! I uninstalled it because it was a nightmare, frankly.

- Some more stuff I cant even remember atm.

Finally, I gave up and restored my system back to my September 21st backup.

I am on Windows 7 (64 bit), and as far as I know, my license is valid and active, and ESET supports Windows 7.

Maybe support has been dropped? 

I would really appreciate some help, as I dont know what else to do.

Thanks

ESET-Upd-Fail.JPG

ESET-Upd-Fail3.JPG

ESET-Upd-Fail2.JPG

32 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You are using a legacy version of ESET. Please uninstall it, reboot the machine and install the latest version of ESET Internet Security v15.2.17.

Like I said in the OP, ESSP v15.2.17 made my browsing extremely slow, and I was denied access to certain websites that I know are safe.

I really dont want to downgrade my PC like that.

• Administrators

With v15.2.17 installed, please carry on as follows:

1. Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  2. Launch a browser and reproduce the issue
  3. Stop logging
  4. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

Also provide a list of some of the blocked websites which you think are safe.  It could be that there was malware in the past which has been removed since. Also it could be that legitimate websites were compromised and contain a threat.

11 hours ago, Marcos said:

With v15.2.17 installed, please carry on as follows:

1. Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  2. Launch a browser and reproduce the issue
  3. Stop logging
  4. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

Also provide a list of some of the blocked websites which you think are safe.  It could be that there was malware in the past which has been removed since. Also it could be that legitimate websites were compromised and contain a threat.

Wow, so you just ignore what I said earlier AND in the OP, and proceed to assume I will downgrade to v15.2.17.

I was being nice earlier, because there was nothing I truly liked about that version. The UI is atrocious, it is fully packed with useless features, and it also caused my PC to have an inactive internet connection for 2-3 minutes after booting. 

As soon as I removed it, everything went back to normal again.

The fact of the matter is, I dont want v15.2.17, ever. Why is ESET trying to force me to downgrade?

v8.0 is lightweight, fast, with an easy to use UI, and just the features I need in my system.

Please stop trying to get me to downgrade my ESET Smart Security, it is pretty rude. If I want to, I'll do it.

In the meantime, I just want my ESS to go back to normal again.

• Administrators

We would like you to upgrade, not downgrade. Since you were having issues with v15.2, I offered you help with troubleshooting the issue. V9 and older have been terminated since they reached EOL a long time ago and no longer receive updates.

Newer versions contain features like Ransomware shield, Advanced Memory Scanner, Deep Behavior Inspection, Exploit Blocker, frequent pico updates, Network protection, LiveGuard (ESSP only) etc. that substantially improve protection against current threats that older versions could not protect from, all that without a noticeable effect on performance. Quite the contrary, the memory footprint was lowered by using a different format of modules than v8 and older versions used. Of course, we understand that on specific system configuration and under specific circumstances issues may occur like with any software. However, in such event we are here to help you with troubleshooting and resolving the issue.

1 hour ago, itman said:

FYI:

Eset_Terminated.thumb.png.f8228ca19ca6be2d3cf791b1e2fe87be.png

Thank you for this clear and straightfoward answer. I did a couple of google searches prior to posting on this forum, and for some reason I didnt get any results for EOL on version 9 and below, like the screenshot and the live page I just found.

In any case, I am marking this as a solution, since I didnt know who to trust online, but now that I saw it, its clear as day.

I just want to say to @Marcos I am sorry I was rude earlier, you were actually correct about everything you said.

v15.2.17.0 is actually fast and has a lot of useful features. 

My system was corrupt earlier, I dont really know what happened. This time I simply removed ESS v8.0 and just installed v15.2. It worked immediately without me needing to do anything else.

When my system got corrupt I had used the ESET uninstaller that is provided here. I also manually deleted some registry entries by ESET. I dont know why those actions corrupted my system, but now everything is really smooth, including browsing :)

Thank you, and I am sorry.