Eset Will not Allow me to disable Auto-Renewal again!

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

• ESET Insiders

Eset will not allow me to disable auto-renewal for my license. When I attempt to disable auto-renewal it says, "Only certain license actions are available as you logged in. Verify with your email to reach full access."  That's a bad English translation, in case you want to correct that on your site, but that's a little off topic. I have already verified my email address; the last time I verified it was about a year ago. If I click on the link for Eset to send me a verification email, Eset fails to send the email. I have tried multiple times over the past 24 hours.  Eset will not send the verification email.

Also, issues with disabling auto-renewal has been a problem for at least a few years now . There is a thread from me on the forum from last year when Eset would not allow me to disable auto-renewal. Last year Eset did not even inform that I was enrolled in auto-renewal at the time of purchase. I always purchase my license directly from Eset. This year Eset informed me about the auto-renewal, but I have no way of disabling it again. What will I have to do to get auto-renewal disabled? I'm logged into buy.eset.com

Edited by cutting_edgetech

• Most Valued Members
19 minutes ago, cutting_edgetech said:

Eset will not allow me to disable auto-renewal for my license. When I attempt to disable auto-renewal it says, "Only certain license actions are available as you logged in. Verify with your email to reach full access."  That's a bad English translation, in case you want to correct that on your site, but that's a little off topic. I have already verified my email address; the last time I verified it was about a year ago. If I click on the link for Eset to send me a verification email, Eset fails to send the email. I have tried multiple times over the past 24 hours.  Eset will not send the verification email.

Also, issues with disabling auto-renewal has been a problem for at least a few years now . There is a thread from me on the forum from last year when Eset would not allow me to disable auto-renewal. Last year Eset did not even inform that I was enrolled in auto-renewal at the time of purchase. I always purchase my license directly from Eset. This year Eset informed me about the auto-renewal, but I have no way of disabling it again. What will I have to do to get auto-renewal disabled? I'm logged into buy.eset.com

Auto-renewal should be possible to be disabled somehow , maybe it's a bug?

Remove your payment method , so it won't be able to renew.

• ESET Insiders

Thank for the response Nightowl! Come to think of it, I removed my payment info the last several years in a row after having the same or similar problems with the auto-renewal. I just got done chatting with Eset support at buy.eset.com first, and they had me send an email to some other support department. Also, I don't understand why I need to verify my email address so many times. Good grief, I keep having to deal with the same purchasing problems every year. I will go ahead and remove my card info, thank for reminding me!

• ESET Insiders

I'm not being given any option to remove my card info. I'm being redirected from buy.eset.com to home.eset.com now. It wasn't doing that before. I don't even see my card info listed anywhere, but I know it must be listed on my account somewhere. I don't understand why I am being redirected from buy.eset.com to home.eset.com now.  It wasn't doing that before. My card info is nowhere to be found, so I can't remove it.

Well, I have to go, I have already spent 2 hours on this tonight, and that's not including the time I spent trying to rectify this yesterday. I will check back tomorrow.

• Most Valued Members

Let's wait for an ESET Staff , I am sure they can help you with turning off auto-renewal or atleast remove the payment method to prevent auto-renewal.

• Administrators

Please start off by providing your public license ID the form of XXX-XXX-XXX. As I've been told, auto-renewal can be turned off after verifying your email for security reasons. We need to find out if the verification email was delivered to your email address, hence we need info about your license.

• Most Valued Members

I said this last time when this came up - there's been a few posts about this so to me it would make sense to have auto renewal as an opt in rather than an opt out.

You could even include a are you you don't want to enable this warning before the purchase is complete, informing the user the advantages etc.

7 hours ago, cutting_edgetech said:

If I click on the link for Eset to send me a verification email, Eset fails to send the email. I have tried multiple times over the past 24 hours.  Eset will not send the verification email.

Sounds like the nightmare I went through last year to get auto-renewal disabled. Only when I escalated the issue to Eset did I finally get the issue resolved.

I just checked the whole ungodly Eset procedure on my end and it appears to work OK and auto-renewal is still disabled on my Eset eStore account:

Eset_Auto.thumb.png.e7fbed3a52060fae9e3c8f9522c5d3cf.png

If you are not receiving the Eset verification e-mail, I suspect either the e-mail is being detected as spam/Junk; check those e-mail folders, or the e-mail address for your Eset eStore account is incorrect. From this web site: https://www.eset.com/us/existing-customers/ , select "Update my billing information." When that screen is displayed, you can update your e-mail address w/o the need for the Eset verification e-mail. Then repeat the verification e-mail process and hopefully, you will receive the verification e-mail.

BTW - I could not reach the above posted screen showing auto-renewal status until I had completed the e-mail verification process. Since you are able to do so, your situation appears to be the same as my original situation last year. I do wish you luck in straightening out this Eset auto-renewal fiasco status.

• ESET Insiders

It was also a nightmare last year when I had to renew my license, worse than it was this year. I received an email from Eset support saying they removed me from auto-renewal.  I checked my spam folder many times after not receiving the verification email; my spam folder has been empty the entire time. 

My account still says my email address needs to be verified, but I'm still not receiving the verification email. I checked the email associated with my account, and it is the correct email address.  I was able to receive an email from Eset support to the same email address. I still need to verify my email address so I can remove my card info from my account. I never save my card info on any of my accounts, in case they ever get hacked, I want have to worry about my card info being compromised.

• ESET Insiders
21 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please start off by providing your public license ID the form of XXX-XXX-XXX. As I've been told, auto-renewal can be turned off after verifying your email for security reasons. We need to find out if the verification email was delivered to your email address, hence we need info about your license.

Is that license ID safe to post on this forum, or did you mean to send it by pm?  Also, I don't understand why Eset makes me verify my email address each time I renew my license. I verify my email address once a year, and it's always a major pain to deal with.

• Administrators
  • Solution

Public license ID is called public because it's not secret and can be posted publicly to identify user's license.

2FA (via email verification) is required to enable or disable auto-renewal for security reasons. Entering just the license key would not be enough because in case of a leak other people could activate auto-renewal without your knowledge.

First we'll need to check if the verification email was actually sent to your email address, hence we need your public license ID (PLID).

• ESET Insiders
4 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Public license ID is called public because it's not secret and can be posted publicly to identify user's license.

2FA (via email verification) is required to enable or disable auto-renewal for security reasons. Entering just the license key would not be enough because in case of a leak other people could activate auto-renewal without your knowledge.

First we'll need to check if the verification email was actually sent to your email address, hence we need your public license ID (PLID).

My public license ID is 3AJ-P9V-9HP

• ESET Insiders

Marcos has resolved the problem where I was unable to verify my email address. It seems Eset's email system was truncating an "e" from my email address.  All issues have been resolved now. Thank you to everyone that offered feedback!

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, cutting_edgetech said:

It seems Eset's email system was truncating an "e" from my email address.

You enter the email address in the Contact info form when purchasing a renewal:

image.png

I've contacted a colleague from the US and suggested improvements in the form that would prevent users from making a typo.

• ESET Insiders

If they are going to verify the user's email address, then they should verify the email address the user has listed for their account. I checked my current email address for my account, and it has no typos in it. It seems to me to only make sense to verify the email address the user has listed for their account. The email address listed in my account is correct as you could see from the screen shot I sent you. Maybe you could suggest to Eset that they should verify the email address the user has listed for their account.

• Administrators

The email address with the typo was entered in the above form. Anyways, we have already fixed the typo and the license email address is valid now, hence you received the verification email and could perform 2FA verification. Note that this email address is for your ESET HOME account which can be different than your license email addresses entered during purchase:

image.png

@Marcos, I noticed a problem with the 2FA license verification for eStore account data.

Once, the e-mail verification is performed and thereafter, you can access your eStore account information by simply entering your Eset public license ID. Since it is standard procedure in forum postings to ask for the Eset public license ID, this can be used to access account info by anyone. Below is a screen shot of @cutting_edgetech account data:

Eset_License.thumb.png.77d656f0b337bab670cd0004fdeda9bc.png

• Administrators

But entering the public license ID will not allow you to order a license or enable/disable auto-renewal without 2FA. You can see the license time, the number of units as well as the expiration date but you cannot perform any action nor can you see complete user's email address.

Eset never ceases to flabbergast me on the way they do things. I am not "going to mince any words here."

What Eset is doing in regards accessing Eset eStore account data is not two factor authorization. 2FA requires two distinct authorization methods are performed prior to any account information is displayed. Entering publicly available data, displaying partial account data, and then performing a second authorization method from the partial account data screen is not an authorization method.

Refer to how major banks perform 2FA.

1. You access their public web site.

2. You enter the first authorization method on that web site. This is usually a user id and password.

3, Once the first authorization method has been verified, the second verification method is initiated. This may be the sending of a numeric code to a previous setup up phone number stored in existing user account data. Once that code is received, it is entered into the existing logon screen and account data access is granted.

Likewise, when e-mail link authorization is used which BTW is insecure, it would be initiated only after user id password authorization verification was completed.

There "must be something in the drinking water" there in Slovakia ..........................

Edited by itman