Later activation of installation options

Go to solution Solved by foneil,

I have recently installed ESET smart security as a trial to try replacing my current anti virus after reading a lot of very positive things about the product.

Upon installation I declined to activate two optional components, one to including myself in a real time network for monitoring ongoing security activity and the other to have ESET scan programs as they install.

Is it possible for me to add these pieces of functionality later? I would like to try them out as well, but simply wanted to go somewhat minimal on initial installation.

• ESET Moderators
  • Solution

yes, you can certainly choose which components to use. I think that the following ESET Knowledgebase article would be beneficial to you regarding the "real time network for monitoring ongoing security activity", which is referring to ESET Live Grid. 

Advanced scanning options in ESET NOD32 Antivirus and ESET Smart Security

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2909

Also, see the ESET Technology description for ESET LiveGrid for more information about how ESET Smart Security uses it. 

The other component I think you're specifically referring to is PUA detection:

How do I configure my Windows ESET product to detect or ignore unwanted, unsafe and suspicious applications?

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3204

one to including myself in a real time network for monitoring ongoing security activity

Not sure why you chosed that but ok, yes you can enable everything you declined during install afterwards in the setup tree. 

and the other to have ESET scan programs as they install.

There is no option to disable real-time protection during install only a question whether you want to enable/disable detection of potentially unwanted applications. So ESET will still scan programs as they install and everything else in real-time unless you have disabled that as well. Wich I hope you haven't.

Is it possible for me to add these pieces of functionality later? I would like to try them out as well, but simply wanted to go somewhat minimal on initial installation.

yes there is a enable/disable setting for everything you see during the install, and more.

Is there a reason why decided to opt-out of Live Grid during install?  

It's not a good idea to disable anything at all unless you know how it affects the product's protection & detection capabilities. The defaults is the recommended settings for most people, and later on if you don't remember what was default or not you can always revert back the settings to the defaults at any time with a click on a button.

Also be sure to check out foneils links above!  :)

Edited by SweX