ESET against Google Drive spam

Kristal

• Most Valued Members
53 minutes ago, Kristal said:

I get these stuff(see screenshots) regularly. How to fight against them?

1662813499317.jpg

1662813499308.jpg

1662813499303.jpg

1662813499298.jpg

1662813499292.jpg

1662813499287.jpg

What is it actually saying in the messages?

3 minutes ago, peteyt said:

What is it actually saying in the messages?

That I won a lot of money and I should to send to them my payment data to get these money.

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, Kristal said:

That I won a lot of money and I should to send to them my payment data to get these money.

Definitely a scam then. Does eset detect anything?

• Administrators

Since the scam doesn't seem to open in a supported browser, there's probably nothing you could do to block or remove it. Just be vigilant and pay attention to what you tap.

On 9/10/2022 at 7:32 PM, Marcos said:

Since the scam doesn't seem to open in a supported browser, there's probably nothing you could do to block or remove it. Just be vigilant and pay attention to what you tap.

I downloaded all these files and scanned them via ESET product. And it didn't detect any threats. Why?

• Administrators

Since I have no clue what files you downloaded, please upload them to a safe location and drop me a personal message with a download link. Note that ESET Mobile Security for Android can detect only threats in Android applications.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, Kristal said:

I downloaded all these files and scanned them via ESET product. And it didn't detect any threats. Why?

Just out of curiosity - are you using your phone to test malware?

• Administrators

Those are Office documents and jpg images. As I wrote, on Android only Android applications are scanned due to limitations of the operating system and hardware too.

27 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Just out of curiosity - are you using your phone to test malware?

I use desktop for that.

21 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Those are Office documents and jpg images. As I wrote, on Android only Android applications are scanned due to limitations of the operating system and hardware too.

I scanned these files via ESET Windows product, not Android. And jpg files are created via Google Drawings, so they have malicious links. Obviously you can't see that, but on my Google Drive I can see that. For example. Now the link on this picture is dead, but when I got this spam file on my Google Drive it was alive.

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, Kristal said:

I use desktop for that.

I scanned these files via ESET Windows product, not Android. And jpg files are created via Google Drawings, so they have malicious links. Obviously you can't see that, but on my Google Drive I can see that. For example. Now the link on this picture is dead, but when I got this spam file on my Google Drive it was alive.

The link warns me on my phone via eset

7 hours ago, peteyt said:

The link warns me on my phone via eset

This yes, but any other from my list which I sent to Macros in private massage no. See that:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

Example 6

And several others with restricted access, so I can't give links on them.

4 hours ago, Kristal said:

Why can't ESET Windows product detect these threats?

Think a bit on what you are requesting.

Eset detects spam/malware in e-mail via a plug-in scanner for any of the e-mail client software Eset supports. This is possible because the e-mail is being scanned while it is being downloaded to the receiving device.

Google Drive is cloud based storage. Eset has no way to determine what is or isn't spam/malware on that storage medium. I assume that if a Google Drive file was actually downloaded and malicious, Eset would detect it.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, Kristal said:

@Marcos Why can't ESET Windows product detect these threats?

I'd also add I'm a little bit confused as you say eset windows but show a screenshot of your mobile

12 hours ago, itman said:

Think a bit on what you are requesting.

Eset detects spam/malware in e-mail via a plug-in scanner for any of the e-mail client software Eset supports. This is possible because the e-mail is being scanned while it is being downloaded to the receiving device.

Google Drive is cloud based storage. Eset has no way to determine what is or isn't spam/malware on that storage medium. I assume that if a Google Drive file was actually downloaded and malicious, Eset would detect it.

As I said before, I downloaded them and scanned them via on-demand scan of Windows product. My above posts are still actual.

11 hours ago, peteyt said:

I'd also add I'm a little bit confused as you say eset windows but show a screenshot of your mobile

These screenshots just show threats, not result of ESET scan.

On 9/12/2022 at 7:41 PM, peteyt said:

I scanned these files via ESET Windows product, not Android. And jpg files are created via Google Drawings, so they have malicious links.

I downloaded the Example 1 link you posted as a .jpeg file. I submitted it to VirusTotal and there were zero detection's for it.

If these files contain malicious links as you claim, then no other AV solution can detect them.

1 hour ago, itman said:

I downloaded the Example 1 link you posted as a .jpeg file. I submitted it to VirusTotal and there were zero detection's for it.

If these files contain malicious links as you claim, then no other AV solution can detect them.

If most AVs are week, then it's a reason why ESET should be week also. Where is a logic?

• Administrators

Jpg files with some scam text in the images are not subject to detection. While some of the other Office files contained Russian scam links, they pointed to non-existing urls. Again, just scam, no real threats.

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

Jpg files with some scam text in the images are not subject to detection. While some of the other Office files contained Russian scam links, they pointed to non-existing urls. Again, just scam, no real threats.

But scam are always spam, right? Scam files can't be not spam. ESET products protect against spam, so they shout detect them.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Kristal said:

But scam are always spam, right? Scam files can't be not spam. ESET products protect against spam, so they shout detect them.

if the links no longer work then surely it does not matter?