Endpoint Encryption and BitLocker

RCD_Matt

Hi All,

I'm trying to install ESET Encryption on a laptop that has never had any encryption on it before. The installation fails saying that bitlocker is protecting the drive.

If I go into Manage Bitlocker in control panel it says Turn BitLocker On (which makes me assume that bitlocker has never been activated on this device).

If I run manage-bde -status though it says percentage encrypted 100%

If I run manage-bde -off C : in an elevated command prompt I get ERROR: An error occurred (code 0x80070001)

The only other time I have had this was on a brand new laptop and in the end I wiped it and started again. This isn't a brand new laptop though and wiping it would be a pain for the user and for me, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

Matt

• ESET Staff

Hi @RCD_Matt,

I have one idea, I cannot be sure this will work as it is a Microsoft product and if it doesn't I will have to recommend you contact Microsoft to attempt to solve this as Bitlocker is not our product nor expertise.

Now after researching this a little it is possible they are not able to decrypt this due to Bitlocker waiting for them to add Key Protectors, so it is basically in a suspended state. 

To solve this, go to Bitlocker Drive Encryption in Control Panel and simply turn it ON and go through all the steps to save the recovery keys etc. and attempt to decrypt it after they have done this.

Thank you,

Kieran

On 9/5/2022 at 11:51 AM, Kstainton said:

Hi @RCD_Matt,

I have one idea, I cannot be sure this will work as it is a Microsoft product and if it doesn't I will have to recommend you contact Microsoft to attempt to solve this as Bitlocker is not our product nor expertise.

Now after researching this a little it is possible they are not able to decrypt this due to Bitlocker waiting for them to add Key Protectors, so it is basically in a suspended state. 

To solve this, go to Bitlocker Drive Encryption in Control Panel and simply turn it ON and go through all the steps to save the recovery keys etc. and attempt to decrypt it after they have done this. 

Thank you,

Kieran

This happens all the time with me with laptops that have secure boot enable bitlocker encryption the drive int he background but doesnt full turn it on. Once I have turn it on, save the key then remove the encryption it fixes the issue and you can use ESET Encryption. 

• ESET Staff
21 hours ago, NobelDwarf said:

This happens all the time with me with laptops that have secure boot enable bitlocker encryption the drive int he background but doesnt full turn it on. Once I have turn it on, save the key then remove the encryption it fixes the issue and you can use ESET Encryption. 

Thank you @NobelDwarf 

Thanks both, yes that has sorted it. I was a little hesitant about applying BitLocker but it only took about 30 minutes total to apply it and then turn it off (and decrypt the drive) again.

Thanks for your help.