ESET Smart Security 8 memory leak

Go to solution Solved by SweX,

"Of course if I see that the mem usage goes up again I will report in right away".....

I don't like to share bad news, but it has to be done.  :D

I yesterday saw I had received IPM module 1158B and right before I was going to shutdown I checked the ekrn.exe ram usage just to see if things still were normal and it was using no less than 318mb.

Edited by SweX

Okay, I again tested it while updating the VSD. And yes this maybe something different than the constant high RAM usage of some other users here.

ESS 8.0.304

IPM 1158B

At first I reactivated pre-release updates. Already here the RAM usage got up to 200 MB.

But not while downloading the updates, but at installing them.

post-3952-0-85167300-1414665859_thumb.png

Then I did a rollback and the RAM usage gets up again.

And again while updating the pre-release updates (or better while installing them) the memory usage goes up.

post-3952-0-45154600-1414665860_thumb.png

Edited by rugk

Yeah the ram usage during the updates has more or less always jumped up a bit like that, and then it goes down to normal.

But I checked the ekrn.exe ram usage just before I was going to shutdown the PC, after using the PC browsing around etc.. That's when it was using the 318mb. 

ekrn.exe "top" usage today is 216mb (during update) and it now sits at 109mb. 

• ESET Insiders

Yeah the ram usage during the updates has more or less always jumped up a bit like that, and then it goes down to normal.

But I checked the ekrn.exe ram usage just before I was going to shutdown the PC, after using the PC browsing around etc.. That's when it was using the 318mb. 

ekrn.exe "top" usage today is 216mb (during update) and it now sits at 109mb. 

if you can get memory dump and send it to them it well be cool, maybe something else casing this memory leak

for me now 2d 18h ekrn.exe 124mb

Yes of course, but I can't just make it happen though ;)

Yeah maybe it is different I'm not sure, but as I said it was totally normal with IPM 1156B that I had for few days until IPM 1158B was released and it was after that I went up again. We'll see how it goes....

• 2 weeks later...

To sum this up a little bit.

1. I used IPM 1156B for around 3 days and the mem usage was normal.

2. I used IPM 1158B for 2-3 days and everyday when I checked it before shutting down the mem usage was 200mb+ 

3. I have now used IPM 1159B for 9 days and the mem usage has been normal everyday.

• ESET Insiders

To sum this up a little bit.

1. I used IPM 1156B for around 3 days and the mem usage was normal.

2. I used IPM 1158B for 2-3 days and everyday when I checked it before shutting down the mem usage was 200mb+ 

3. I have now used IPM 1159B for 9 days and the mem usage has been normal everyday.

It's working fine with me too after IPM 1159B 13 days now and mem 123mb

• 4 months later...
  • ESET Insiders

After Internet protection module: 1173B.3 (20150324) memory leak back again, my system up time 1d 20h and ekrn 187mb memory

• ESET Moderators

Hello Baltagy,

can you please wait until the memory consumption is over 400-500 MB and than create a memory dump via Procdump utility (this is important especially on x64 systems), pack the dump with SysInspector log and send it to me via private message?

Thank you.

P.R.

• ESET Insiders

Hello Baltagy,

can you please wait until the memory consumption is over 400-500 MB and than create a memory dump via Procdump utility (this is important especially on x64 systems), pack the dump with SysInspector log and send it to me via private message?

Thank you.

P.R.

I restarted to see if the problem will come again, anytime i see memory leak i will create a memory dump with SysInspector and send it to you for sure :)

• ESET Moderators

O.K., thank you.

Please let it leak for a while, it is much more easy to find what is leaking when the leaked allocated memory is really over standard size.

P.R.

• ESET Insiders

O.K., thank you.

Please let it leak for a while, it is much more easy to find what is leaking when the leaked allocated memory is really over standard size.

P.R.

When i replayed to you it was 122mb but now it's 193mb, i will try to wait until 250+ and take a memory dump

I have a power problem in my country so the power may go off 1 or 2 times sometimes so i will take a memory dump as soon as i can in case my power go down

with the newest eset i got an kernel memory leak

i start a computer scan and after that my memory usage went high

• Administrators

with the newest eset i got an kernel memory leak

i start a computer scan and after that my memory usage went high

How much memory do you mean by "high"?

hm didnt upload

after scan (after a restart and only a computer scan started and finished):

post-7000-0-40720100-1428595935_thumb.pngpost-7000-0-91792000-1428595943_thumb.png

after restart:

post-7000-0-76720900-1428595974_thumb.png

• ESET Insiders

hm didnt upload

attachicon.gifafter scan.pngattachicon.gifafter scan2.png

after restart:

attachicon.gifrestart.png

112mb is not high, until 150mb it's good

I'm uploading memory dump while ekrn is 207mb, when i can get another one 250+ i will upload it too

hm didnt upload

attachicon.gifafter scan.pngattachicon.gifafter scan2.png

after restart:

attachicon.gifrestart.png

112mb is not high, until 150mb it's good

I'm uploading memory dump while ekrn is 207mb, when i can get another one 250+ i will upload it too

sure xD

but the windows kernel usage went high and didnt free up

i did a deep scan

Edited by timse201

• ESET Insiders

O.K., thank you.

P.R.

Memory dump and log sent when ekrn was 208mb i will try to get another when when ekrn reach 250+ if i can

Update:

Another memory dump sent when ekrn 256mb

Edited by BALTAGY

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

@Baltagy, thank you for the dumps a created a ticket for the Devs to check it.

@timse201 Please download Poolmon utility and run it with this command: "poolmon.exe -u -e -r –n", it will create poolsnap.log, which is required for analysis so please send it to me with output from ESET log collector via private message.

Thank you.

P.R.

Hello,

@Baltagy, thank you for the dumps a created a ticket for the Devs to check it.

@timse201 Please download Poolmon utility and run it with this command: "poolmon.exe -u -e -r –n", it will create poolsnap.log, which is required for analysis so please send it to me with output from ESET log collector via private message.

Thank you.

P.R.

mail sent ;)

will be the cached memory data also be less when this leak is fixed? because it also increases when im scanning

Edited by timse201

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

@timse201 the increased memory pool consumption is not caused by our product, not directly for sure as there are not any huge allocations made by our components.

It is probably result of Windows caching, the same allocations would be probably caused by going through all files on the disk and by reading them.

P.R.

• 11 months later...