ESET Smart Security 8 memory leak

Go to solution Solved by SweX,

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

the Devs analyzed the dump but we weren't able to find the culprit for sure, but the Protocol filtering seems to be the one causing this.

Can you please try to disable Protocol filtering, restart the PC and try to reproduce the issue?

Do not forget to re-enable it after the test.

How quickly is the memory leaking?

In case you would like to send us some dumps you can use ftp.nod.sk/support/    you have to use unique file name, than just send me a PM with it's name.

Thank you.

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

the Devs analyzed the dump but we weren't able to find the culprit for sure, but the Protocol filtering seems to be the one causing this.

Can you please try to disable Protocol filtering, restart the PC and try to reproduce the issue?

In case you would like to send us some dumps you can use ftp.nod.sk/support/    you have to use unique file name, than just send me a PM with it's name.

Thank you.

sometimes it takes a few hours to be 180MB and sometimes more, i will disable Protocol filtering and will wait until it become 180MB or more and take a memory dump again

• ESET Insiders

it's been 12h now the ram goes up to 120MB but now 109MB i think problem solved when i disable Protocol filtering

I also encountered this problem and uploaded a memory dump to the ftp (with PM to Peter Randziak).

As a side note, ekrn memory consumption jumped from 102MB (just before) to over 183MB after I performed an update (!) - no other things were done on the PC before, during or after the update. Maybe that's also a hint for something?

P.S. It happened again: On my machine, from what I experienced so far, memory consumption shoots over 180MB only AFTER the first successful signature / component update (after reboot) was performed. (with protocol scanning = on)

Can anyone in here confirm this?

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

Thank you.

now it's 1d 7h and ekrn.exe ram 107MB, it's working great with Protocol filtering disabled

you want me to take memory dump now?

after 1d 9h it grows up from 107MB to 179MB with Protocol filtering disabled i will see if it will go down again

Edited by BALTAGY

• Administrators

Please enable generation of complete application memory dumps in Tools -> Diagnostics. When the issue occurs, check the C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Diagnostics folder and let us know if dumps have been created.

• ESET Insiders

Please enable generation of complete application memory dumps in Tools -> Diagnostics. When the issue occurs, check the C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Diagnostics folder and let us know if dumps have been created.

i did that there's only Modules folder and it's empty

i uploaded a memory dump to the ftp and send pm to with the file name "peter randziak" i did it with Procdump

Edited by BALTAGY

• ESET Insiders

It's an odd bug because I've seen memory usage as low as 65MB and as high as 230MB. As of right now, version 8 remains around the 90MB - 100MB for the vast majority of time.

I just enabled so top memory usage is shown for the processes in task manager. And at som point ekrn.exe was up at 212mb, but sits at 108mb at the moment.

I just enabled so top memory usage is shown for the processes in task manager. And at som point ekrn.exe was up at 212mb, but sits at 108mb at the moment.

To answer myself, it is under the VSD updates that ekrn.exe peaks at 200-220mb for me, and after that it drops down to the normal amount of around 100mb. 

To answer myself, it is under the VSD updates that ekrn.exe peaks at 200-220mb for me, and after that it drops down to the normal amount of around 100mb. 

OK, just tried to reproduce the problem. I rolled my updates back and updated the two missing updates after that. And yes - this is the first time I saw that ekrn.exe really got over 200 MB.

post-3952-0-81148400-1413315521_thumb.png

But this were only 1-3 or 4 seconds. Then it fast got back to ~120 MB and stayed there.

Edited by rugk

Thanks. :)  Yes exactly, only a few seconds or so while the update runs. But that does not explain the constant high ram usage that other users are seeing from ekrn.exe after a few hours or sometimes days of uptime.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

thank you for the dumps, some Devs were able to reproduce the leaks so the issue is currently under investigation.

We will keep you posted.

Thank you for your support.

P.R.

Yeah, thanks to you Peter. I can only agree with SweX.

And @SweX yes you're right this doesn't explain the relatively constantly high RAM usage of some other users. But I feel this issues have the same reason. ;)

Hmmmm.....ekrn.exe ram usage right now is 214mb, it seems that it does not only happen on Win 8 systems after all. Ah well they should have enough dumps about this sent in already.

Anyone tried the updated version yet? 8.0.304 from 301. Not sure if the mem leak was already addressed but I am still getting 262mb from ekrn.exe.

• ESET Insiders

Anyone tried the updated version yet? 8.0.304 from 301. Not sure if the mem leak was already addressed but I am still getting 262mb from ekrn.exe.

they didn't fix it yet, i don't know why they released 8.0.304 before fix a problem like this!!

• Administrators
they didn't fix it yet, i don't know why they released 8.0.304 before fix a problem like this!!

This is not a problem of 8.0.304 as such. Make sure you have Internet protection module 1156B installed. A computer restart will be required to fix existing leaks.

• ESET Insiders

This is not a problem of 8.0.304 as such. Make sure you have Internet protection module 1156B installed. A computer restart will be required to fix existing leaks.

mine are 1154B

• Administrators
mine are 1154B

Please enable pre-release updates, run update manually and finally restart the computer. Then see if you can reproduce the issue.

• Solution

@everyone that currently have or have seen an unusual high memory usage by ekrn.exe at some point.

(if you don't want to wait until Internet protection module 1156B is put on the standard update servers continue as follows)....

Enable pre-release updates like described here: hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3415&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1414360539153

Once the updates have been dowloaded, check the "about" window to confirm you now have Internet protection module 1156B. After that restart the computer and use it like normal.

FWIW, I have had IPM module 1156B for 3 days and so far so good. So I am quite confident to say it has been solved.  

Of course if I see that the mem usage goes up again I will report in right away. But as I said so far so good.... :)

Edited by SweX