Any plan to make HIPS compatible with Windows 10 Tech Preview?

Duluc
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I would like to have compatibility to this new version of Windows. I understand that it is pre-release software, but maybe delivering it through pre-release updates, like in past times? If not, how secure is my system without HIPS working and should I disable it completely in settings if it's gonna be this way?

Thank you.

HIPS is a behavioral analysis extension. It watches applications, the registry, memory, and is part of self-defense for malware that tries to disable security services, objects or drivers etc.

If you were referring to the enterprise version of windows 10, that's nothing new, group policy has been providing those same type of rules for years and years on domains and networks.

• Administrators
  • Solution

I'll try to find out if there are plans to make HIPS compatible with Windows 10 TP. The thing is it is not a final version of the OS and many things can change before the final version of Windows 10 is ready which means that all our efforts put into making it compatible could be spoiled.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine why everytime  a new OS is beta'd/previewed and introduced and all these people download it and expect all their software to work.I have seen this in each and every forum I participate in(no need to mention names).It's not the devs job to get their software working with preview/beta software.It's only their obligation to get it working with final code.Code can change immensely and frequently during a development cycle.To expect a development team to participate in such a rollercoaster is unrealistic and unwarranted.When you run preview/beta software,you do so understanding that there are limitations and that some things most likely will NOT work.It's like playing Russian roulette.It's something you have to learn to deal with if you want to be the first one to run something.I would certainly hope this does not turn into a flood like I have seen elsewhere.It's a preview.I am 1000% sure that ESET,and others, will be compatible when code is final.No point in doing it before then as it is huge waste of development resources.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine why everytime  a new OS is beta'd/previewed and introduced and all these people download it and expect all their software to work.I have seen this in each and every forum I participate in(no need to mention names).It's not the devs job to get their software working with preview/beta software.It's only their obligation to get it working with final code.Code can change immensely and frequently during a development cycle.To expect a development team to participate in such a rollercoaster is unrealistic and unwarranted.When you run preview/beta software,you do so understanding that there are limitations and that some things most likely will NOT work.It's like playing Russian roulette.It's something you have to learn to deal with if you want to be the first one to run something.I would certainly hope this does not turn into a flood like I have seen elsewhere.It's a preview.I am 1000% sure that ESET,and others, will be compatible when code is final.No point in doing it before then as it is huge waste of development resources.

He just wanted to know if it was safe to run the preview without HIPS. If not, it's best to remove NOD and hope Defender does the job.

Exactly! But I've learn that in official forums all you can hope to get are generic answers. I'm just using Defender, btw.

I have not tried the TP but I assume Defender in the Win 10 TP has no HIPS right? So even if NOD32's HIPS is not 100% compatible you'd be better of with it.

If it works fine then continue with the HIPS enabled.

If you get problems then just disable the HIPS and see how it goes.

Edited by SweX

I have not tried the TP but I assume Defender in the Win 10 TP has no HIPS right? So even if NOD32's HIPS is not 100% compatible you'd be better of with it.

If it works fine then continue with the HIPS enabled.

If you get problems then just disable the HIPS and see how it goes.

The problem is hips doesn't work at all :(.

I'll try to find out if there are plans to make HIPS compatible with Windows 10 TP. The thing is it is not a final version of the OS and many things can change before the final version of Windows 10 is ready which means that all our efforts put into making it compatible could be spoiled.

Thanks Marcos. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I read somewhere else here in the forums that HIPS worked in the new version which I guess is .304, but it does not work for me.

Edited by gitrman

• Administrators

Yeah, I read somewhere else here in the forums that HIPS worked in the new version which I guess is .304, but it does not work for me.

Do you have pre-release updates enabled?

https://forum.eset.com/topic/3457-eset-smart-security-8-on-windows-10-cant-activate-nor-make-any-changes-to-the-app-itself/?p=20536

• 8 months later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

please find more info on the ESET Windows 10 landing page 

The upgrade process for both home and business users is also well described in the How do I upgrade to Windows 10 with my ESET product installed KB article

Regards,

P.R.

Hello,

please find more info on the ESET Windows 10 landing page

The upgrade process for both home and business users is also well described in the How do I upgrade to Windows 10 with my ESET product installed KB article

Regards,

P.R.

You shouldn't link to that. I just got told by your support that the article in question isn't "in effect" until July 29th. Despite saying nothing of the sort and even saying that we can upgrade now.

hxxp://i.imgur.com/sT8ry0J.png

• 4 weeks later...

Well, new preview is out, build 10525, AFAIK HIPS worked with the windows 10 release, however with this new TP build, it keeps on getting notification about 'unable to communicate with hardware' or some sort, and HIPS stays disabled no matter what I do.

• Administrators

Well, new preview is out, build 10525, AFAIK HIPS worked with the windows 10 release, however with this new TP build, it keeps on getting notification about 'unable to communicate with hardware' or some sort, and HIPS stays disabled no matter what I do.

This has been discussed and answered in 2 other topics at least. Build 10525 available on fast ring won't be supported unless Microsoft provides symbols to vendors.

This has been discussed and answered in 2 other topics at least. Build 10525 available on fast ring won't be supported unless Microsoft provides symbols to vendors.

Marcos, are you saying that Microsoft don't send your devs new symbols when they release a new build?

I would have thought it would have been an essential thing for them to do and also for them to realise that not everyone wants to use Defender.

Still broken 22 August 2015 @11:30 am Pacific Daylight Time

• Administrators

I'm sorry but I don't get your post. It's been explained why build 10525 cannot be supported. If there's some news from Microsoft, we'll add support for this build too.

How do I check if HIPS is working or not?