Secure browser (banking protection) has completely stopped working

My main 2 sites, Westpac bank and PayPal, ESET would always ask when I entered them. For my bank I chose to permanently stay in secure browser, for PayPal I said ask. Those settings are reflected in the site settings as I just checked it. I have touched nothing other than answering those prompts, and secure browsing is absolutely enabled.

I can't get it to work at all anymore! I wondered what was happening the last couple of days when the prompts for paypal stopped, and I noticed when I was entering my banking website it didn't switch browsers.

So I went and I saw that banking.westpac.com.au was the site added in secure browser, so I manually added westpac.com.au in case it was that.

I also set it to ask, therefore hoping I'd "reset" or "fix" it so to speak once I put it back to always secure mode.

Nope, no prompts, and secure browser never auto opens anymore. Ever.

If I open the secure browser manually I can use it that way, but that's not the point. I want it to be seamless for chosen sites, which is a feature of the software.

Any ideas?

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. Quit browsers.
  2. Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  3. Launch a browser and rReproduce the issue
  4. Stop logging
  5. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

well that was stupid - I opened secure browser settings and hit default, I thought resetting it might work.

But it has reset my GLOBAL settings. How silly is that when I was in the banking and payment protection section?

I have now lost all my custom firewall rules, great!

In any case, secure browser now prompts me for paypal.com

But not for Westpac, I guess it doesn't see it as a bank anymore, and adding it manually still doesn't work. Whether ask or use secure always is selected.

Re Firewall:

There are certain older games that crash (for example need for speed the run) when they try connect to the net, known issue, same with Gal Gun 2, so I had enabled interactive mode JUST when I launched those games so I could set a rule to block them permanently which fixed all crashing, then I set the firewall back to auto mode.

But the alerts I got was insane for the 60 seconds I had interactive mode disabled. I had to get through about 30 alerts before I got to the relevant one. Even Edge, the built in default browser needs permission.

This is really poor form ESET, like little snitch on mac, you guys should have a basic set of rules that knows what essential system processes are allowed connection. And this is the first time I will say something negative about ESET. or at least an option for a set of "recommended factory rules" for example.

I mean I have no idea for 95% of those things whether to allow or deny.. so I will try add the game manually this time but even creating a rule is complicated. I just want to create a "deny" rule for a certain app.. so much more complicated than windows firewall.

Edited by TTOZ

11 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please carry on as follows:

1. Quit browsers.
  2. Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  3. Launch a browser and rReproduce the issue
  4. Stop logging
  5. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

Ok I will do this, sorry for delay I was trying to get back my other settings, like disabling notification about windows updates, setting ESET definition update check to 30 minutes instead of one hour, and setting my home network to the trusted network (I presume I should do this for my password protected personal home router)??

it took that long to find those three settings, I have never known such a complicated program, it's starting to frustrate me.

BRB

Ok I did it, but it gets weirder..

When I enabled logging and re opened my browser and went to westpac and hit "sign in", eset popped up like normal again

so I chose "secure browser always" like before

and this happened

The secured browser could not be started
Associated error code: 0x847695d7

I have absolutely no idea what is happening. I restarted the computer and now it is opening the secure browser every time I visit the bank, as per normal and with a green tick that secure browser is on.

Also, I have done a FULL scan yesterday with both ESET and Emergency Kit scanner cause I was a little concerned cause it seemed something attempted a browser hijack to a legit address and ESET flashed up with red warnings and such and said it had deleted an infection and I was safe.

I found the infection in quarantine

It was some site called adforprocessor dot com

no idea how my browser went there

I guess I *may* have misspelt a letter when I manually typed the web address I *wanted* to go to, but I remember when it happened I thought it was weird.

Anyway I guess it is working for now.

!!

I need some advice on how to create a deny rule for an app

Do I start a new topic for this? I realise I just add manually but then the choices when they come up seem OTT 

I just want to browse for an app and choose deny net connection