Edevmon (.sys) blocks the driver installation of my USB device since windows considers it as a driver

I'm currently trying to reuse an old steering wheel ( Wingman Formula Force ) on Windows 10.

I found some drivers that are supposed work and I wanted to try them before dumping the wheel. Those aren't signed so I have to install them manually.

My device isn't recognized at all by windows and so I have an error code 43 "Windows stopped this device since it presents some problems".

So when I try to install my driver manually windows says "the best driver is already installed" and when I go into driver details I find edevmon.sys.

I found no ways to bypass the "the best driver is already installed" even with uninstalling the driver edevmon stays active.

I also tried to enable the device control making a rule which allows every single device but nothing changed.

I'm currently on Eset 15.2.11.0 and Windows 10 family. I saw a couple of persons having the same issue but they just uptaded their ESET and it was a few years ago and I'm currently up to date.

I'm stuck with this installation and I don't know what to do if someone can help me.

On 8/1/2022 at 6:40 PM, Marcos said:

Why do you think that edevmon.sys is the culprit? Windows 10 do not allow loading of unsigned drivers.

Because I have seen people doing it (with the same device but they probably didn't have ESET), there is a way to avoid that, you can boot windows in order not to verify the digital signature ( Shift+reboot button, then and when it reboots you choose something like "disable the verification of signed driver").

I don't know if I can unlink edevmon.sys and my driver thanks to windows settings or with ESET.

• Administrators

My understanding is that edevmon.sys should have no effect on this.

As per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/installing-an-unsigned-driver-during-development-and-test:

Windows Vista and later versions of Windows support the F8 Advanced Boot Option -- "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" -- that disables load-time signature enforcement for a kernel-mode driver only for the current system session. This setting does not persist across system restarts.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

My understanding is that edevmon.sys should have no effect on this.

As per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/installing-an-unsigned-driver-during-development-and-test:

Windows Vista and later versions of Windows support the F8 Advanced Boot Option -- "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" -- that disables load-time signature enforcement for a kernel-mode driver only for the current system session. This setting does not persist across system restarts.

Okay I understand but it's not how it is shown in the instruction I have been following until now, you can see it on the screenshot I put here.image.png

But here I don't have any signature problem, it just says that the best driver is already installed and edevmon is not the adequate driver for my device.

I'm supposed to boot without verification of signature install the driver and then it's done.

But do you know what is edevmon.sys supposed to do ?

Edited by flys08

If you think ESET is causing the issue, temporarily uninstall it and then try to install your driver. If it still gives an error, ESET is not the problem. If it does complete the install, then reinstall ESET and see what happens.

20 minutes ago, LesRMed said:

If you think ESET is causing the issue, temporarily uninstall it and then try to install your driver. If it still gives an error, ESET is not the problem. If it does complete the install, then reinstall ESET and see what happens.

Since it's an ESET file, I don't really know if the problem comes from ESET or Windows, if I don't have other options I will uninstall it. Is there a way to save my firewall rules so I won't have to redo them all ?