Eset doesn't block EICAR testfile.

Hello,

For a few months now, my ESET product doesn't block the EICAR testfile, I use firefox and after around 10 seconds, my browser says that the connection has timed out. What should I do for ESET to block again the EICAR testfile?

I use Windows 11.

Thank you in advance.

• Administrators

Could you post a screenshot? It looks like a connection with the web server has never been established and thus eicar could not be downloaded and blocked.

Also, I forgot to mention that, a few months ago that ESET has blocked the EICAR file but it appeared only in the log files and not in the browser. The same thing happens with normal viruses, the screen doesn't show anything but in the logs it clearly says that ESET has blocked the virus, unfortunately this is not the case with EICAR, it doesn't appear anywhere anymore in the logs.

For things that eset has blocked, it just states in the screen that the connection has timed out.

Edited by Ioannis 35535

• Administrators

You should see a "Secure connection failed" error in the browser:

image.png

Does temporarily uninstalling ESET or disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup allow you to download eicar?

• Administrators
Just now, Ioannis 35535 said:

It appeared the same thing, that the connection has timed out.

That means it's not related to ESET, or at least not to protocol filtering. Does temporarily pausing the firewall make a difference? If not, then there's something wrong with the communication and the error should occur even with ESET uninstalled.

• Most Valued Members

Only thing I can recommend is uninstalling eset and reinstalling. I'd recommend doing so with the uninstall tool in safe mode via the link bellow.

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool

It seems like eset is doing its job but just not alerting you. Not sure why but if it's something corrupt a reinstall should fix this

1 hour ago, Ioannis 35535 said:

I don't understand why I cant do it in safe mode.

You must be logging on and running under a standard user account. This account does not have admin privileges.

By default when Win 10/11 is installed, a default limited admin account is created. Using this account, you run normally under standard user account privileges but have the ability to switch to using full admin privileges via UAC prompt or context menu option.

6 hours ago, Ioannis 35535 said:

For a few months now, my ESET product doesn't block the EICAR testfile, I use firefox and after around 10 seconds, my browser says that the connection has timed out. What should I do for ESET to block again the EICAR testfile?

I use Windows 11.

Go here: https://www.amtso.org/security-features-check/ and perform the two malware download tests. These tests actual download the eicar test file.

Do you receive an Eset desktop pop up detection alert for these tests?