Is there any way to reliably get windows system restore working with eset installed?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

With mawarebytes it was so easy, cause malwarebytes has an exit mode and a disable startup with windows mode which completely disables it and actually refers protection back to windows defender. In this mode it's as if MWB is not installed at all and not interfering with the system in any way, i.e. there are no MWB processes running, the app is completely and truly closed.

Do the restore, re enable start with windows for MWB. That's it.

I tend to need system restore as I beta test a lot of products for the audio community and I also muck about with certain registry tweaks and like to be able to go back to the system as it was if I need to.

How can I do it with Eset installed?

Thanks in advance!!

• Administrators

Please try temporarily disabling Self-defense in the advanced setup -> HIPS and reboot the machine prior to performing a system restore.

Posted (edited)

Ok I will try, do I need to use the windows recovery tools or safe mode or can I just do it from the system restore panel in normal boot mode?

Also, I presume I should disable my wireless connection when I do this so nothing malicious can download to my PC?

When you say pause, do you just mean to right click on the icon in the system tray and choose "pause protection" then choose pause until reboot?

Also whilst I have got your attention I would really like a simple gamer mode toggle in the system tray icon options.. to have to open the program and navigate to it every time is really annoying if I am to be honest!

Thanks!

Edited by TTOZ
spelling

• Administrators
  • Solution

I mean to temporarily disable Self-defense and reboot the machine:

image.png

The machine will continue to be protected from threats.

Lucky LOL!

I have to be honest, I am really confused, as I went to disable  protection and a red thing came up and said "a threat was found and blocked a short time ago, disabling protection now will damage your computer"

Where can I see what Eset blocked or quarantined.. I am finding this part (very) unintuitive :(

The only block I remember it doing was when I was browsing in google and Eset said it blocked threats from one of the search result links.. thing is, I had not clicked on ANY search result link yet.. so I presumed Eset was that proactive it was blocking it before I could even go there LOL.. seriously it was bizarre.

I'll do a scan and wait for the reply on how to view threat history and quarantine, then I have to do a restore for the first time in a few days....

Thanks as always for excellent fast support replies. Colour me impressed!

• Administrators

You can access logs via a right-click on the ESET icon:

image.png

Or via Tools -> More tools -> Log files in the main gui.

Thanks but I just wanted a nice simple history somewhere in the main display like say BitDefender that just tells you "threats caught" kind of thing. Not a complex log.

That said, system restore worked perfectly and I am in shock, as I have NEVER been able to do a successful restore with any other AV running, ever. Only with MWB when it was closed completely. It always failed with BD and Kaspersky, so I am really happy it worked with ESET.

Anyway, I found the quarantine folder and I still don't understand what it quarantined when all I did was a google search and it quarantined something from the search result on the google page, it was the top result, but I never clicked on it, not even close! I mean I can not understand how it is removing files from links in search results that are never even pressed. I submitted it in case it was a false positive.

I highlighted all files in quarantine and right clicked and removed them, and I hope that means I permanently deleted them (they were all just web links).

According to Emsisoft emergency kit scanner (full scan) and ESET (full scan done after restore) my computer is clean so that's good enough for me. The only other thing I changed was to update every 30 minutes instead of hourly. I was somehow abkle to find that setting LOL.

The GUI of ESET is really good, colours wise, and it's very pleasant to look at all in all. However it's a very, very complex piece of software with endless sub menus, so even that great GUI can't organise it to be really comfortable for anyone but the AV power user.

So I am just going to leave everything at 99.5% default settings as I have been, and it has not changed performance in my games (in fact my timespy score for this legion 7i/3070 was 100 points higher with ESET instead of defender, 11,200 vs 11,100), so everything is basically working fine.. I tried some triple A gaming finally today, using a lot of CPU and 100% of the GPU at 140w, and there were no stutters, everything performed great. That was the final big test for me.

I have decided to definitely keep it as I don't have to worry about AV for 3 years now and it has been mostly unobtrusive.

Cheers and please consider that game mode toggle in taskbar menu when right clicking on ESET icon:)

I very rarely game in full screen so it would be extremely handy.

• Administrators

You don't have to delete quarantined files unless you want to free a little space on the disk. In quarantine files are stored in an encrypted form so they don't pose any risk. In case of a false positive, it enables you to restore the affected files.

ESET products are install and forget. You don't have to open the advanced setup and go through all the options that are there mainly for advanced users.

If you want to get a quick overview / stats, go to Tools -> More tools -> Security report.

image.png

As for the Gaming mode, do you see any difference while playing games when active and inactive?

Posted (edited)

Hi I haven't seen a difference because there have been no infections. I presume gaming mode just supresses notifications and intrusion if something attempts to infect the system? (I mean no infections whilst gaming thus far).

Edited by TTOZ
added final sentence about game mode