Email plugin crashing Outlook

Hi I have a problem with microsoft outlook eset plugin/addin

problem started about 1-2 weeks ago. Plugin for outlook 2016 causes outlook to crash so i removed it so i can use outlook normally

any ideas/fix?

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

• quit MS Outlook
  • enable email client advanced logging
  • launch MS Outlook
  • reproduce the issue
  • STOP logging
  • collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide the generated archive.

• Marcos changed the title to Email plugin crashing Outlook
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, khaled22 said:

where do i find step2 option to enable?

In the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics. Alternatively you can enable advanced logging in the main gui -> Help and support -> Technical support.

Hey,

I have the same problem. Multiple Users report that their Outlook is crashing randomly.

Sometimes it crashes while moving calendar entries other times nothing is even touched; there is no real pattern.

Is there a way to send the log in private since there is a lot of company and user identifying information in there? (This is for a bussines, I just didn't want to open another topic since it seems to be the same module)

Edited by Tolik

• Administrators

You can enable advanced logging under Help and Support -> Technical support or just advanced email client logging in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics.

Before you do that, close MS Outlook. Also don't forget to disable logging prior to collecting logs with ESET Log Collector so that the data from memory is saved to the disk.

As for uploading ELC logs, you can upload them here; only the ESET staff has permissions to access attachments.

file is about 400mb in size is this normal? is there any "email" log that i can provide only?

Edited by khaled22

Hello, we are experiencing this issue across the business too. Today I disabled the Outlook add in for ESET via Setup > Advanced Set up > Web and email > email client protection > email clients > Turning off "Enable email protection by client plugins". After doing this a restart of Outlook is required. Since doing this the user has reported no crashes.

I will start taking ESET logs now using the instructions above, thank you.

• Administrators

As for Outlook crashes, we'd need an application dump from the crash. Since we have already received some dumps for perusal, we don't need any more at this point.

I also have some users reporting intermittent Outlook crashes.

Disabling Outlook Integration or rolling back to Endpoint Security 9.0.2046.0 have both worked as temporary mitigations for me while I was trying to trace/prove the bug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
18 minutes ago, khaled22 said:

any update on this matter? anyone knows how long will take to be fixed?

Do you have Outlook 2003?

• Administrators
On 8/1/2022 at 8:55 AM, Enrico said:

Not crashing but it generates a "Edit <0w>" locked folder inside archives, meanwhile I'll keep client plugins disabled.

It appears that we're getting a weird folder from MAPI:

[Store#2] Outbox=MAPI$0.627D7DFDB46E014A8218472332BDAFE0.82800000, folderPath="\\Archives\Edit <0w>"   
[Store#3] SentItems=MAPI$0.14F594CA36B29D409A3B06F987709550.A2800000, folderPath="\\Archives\Edit <0w>"

Will get developers check the logs and update you then.

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, khaled22 said:

no 2016

Please carry on as follows:
  1. Download Procdump and extract it to a disk.
  2. Quit MS Outlook.
  3. Run as an administrator (copy & paste the following one-liner into a command-line window):
    procdump.exe -n 5 -ma -e 1 -w -g -fx 00000006,000006BA,000006F4,000006F7,0000071A,04242420,0EEDFADE,40080201,40080202,406D1388,80010002,80010108,8001010D,8001010E,80040155,8009002a,C004F011,C004F012,E0000001,E0000002,E0434352,E0434F4D,E06D7363 outlook.exe
  4. Launch MS Outlook and reproduce the crash.
  5. Provide the generated dump as well as logs collected with ESET Log Collector.

In case you have "Kutools for Outlook 15.0" installed, upgrading it to the latest version 16 would resolve the crash.

• Administrators

Does the crash stop after temporarily uninstalling Kutools? A dump we received from a user pointed to Kutools as the cause of the crash.

As to your question, I meant to run cmd as an administrator and then run procdump with the above mentioned parameters.

image.png

didnt check but if i disable kutools from addins, it still crashes with eset enable

EDIT: uninstalled kutools and still crashing. I dont think is kutools since it was working fine before.

Edited by khaled22

• Administrators

Please compress the dumps, upload the archive to a safe location (OneDrive, DropBox, etc.) and drop me a message with a download link.

• Administrators
On 8/1/2022 at 8:55 AM, Enrico said:

Not crashing but it generates a "Edit <0w>" locked folder inside archives, meanwhile I'll keep client plugins disabled.

It seems to be a bug in MS Outlook related to using the function Store.GetDefaultFolde discussed at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/81f29259-4010-453b-8cd7-0ec336764ae1/storegetdefaultfolder-is-trying-to-create-folders-in-a-pst-if-they-dont-exist-instead-of?forum=outlookdev

Please make sure that you have all available updates for MS Outlook installed.