The V7 icon is so ugly..

Hello,

In my opinion, the interface of the product has reached a certain "maturity", I do not think it is important to retouched.

Regards,

Vigen.

But there is a new GUI in the works just so you know  :D

• 1 month later...

For some people who don't know about which icons is talked here some small pictures:

Icon of ESET 6 versions - "Eye-Icon":

post-3952-0-60430200-1401562113_thumb.png

Source: hxxp://hikeman.deviantart.com/art/ESET-6-Icon-302835799

Icon  of ESET 7 versions - "e-Icon":

post-3952-0-65915700-1401562115_thumb.png

Source: Icon from ESET Smart Security 7 - egui.exe

Edited by rugk

I prefer the eye icon but the e icon is also ok.

I really don't mind what the tray icon looks like for an AV, protection is the main issue.

I can't believe people are complaining about the new icon (which I like).

I wish that was all I had to complain about. :)

I prefer the eye icon but the e icon is also ok.

I really don't mind what the tray icon looks like for an AV, protection is the main issue.

for me the previous icon like eyes and feels like eagle eyes
now with new icon hmmm really eset eyes it is :D

• Most Valued Members

The new icon works well for brand recognition on devices. You see the ESET icon, representing their brand, on their own security products. It's useful to promote ESET in general, like when someone views a device on a projector or at a friends house and you see the 'e' icon and they either ask what it is (for you to talk about ESET), or recognise that you are using an ESET product.

If there was anything to consider, maybe trying to adapt the icon to match with the system you're using it on. One example is ESET Mobile Security for Android, which already uses an unique icon which blends well.

post-3006-0-66540600-1401847805_thumb.jpg

Mac OS X with Cyber Security - OS X already uses a grey menubar with dark, transparent icons, so you could make the 'e' icon without the white background for that as well, or even black to match: (Yosemite now suits ESET's icon perfectly!)

For Windows, you could also match with system icons - but the icon at the moment does seem okay. Either way, a quick visual concept:

post-3006-0-88772600-1401847814.jpg

Edited by planet

The new icon works well for brand recognition on devices. You see the ESET icon, representing their brand, on their own security products. It's useful to promote ESET in general, like when someone views a device on a projector or at a friends house and you see the 'e' icon and they either ask what it is (for you to talk about ESET), or recognise that you are using an ESET product.

If there was anything to consider, maybe trying to adapt the icon to match with the system you're using it on. One example is ESET Mobile Security for Android, which already uses an unique icon which blends well.

attachicon.gifandicon.jpg

Mac OS X with Cyber Security - OS X already uses a grey menubar with dark, transparent icons, so you could make the 'e' icon without the white background for that as well, or even black to match:

For Windows, you could also match with system icons - but the icon at the moment does seem okay. Either way, a quick visual concept:

attachicon.gifwinicon.jpg

At the very least, it would be great to see this flexibility implemented in the Advanced > User interface > Graphics area :

Color Scheme for icons

1. Default

2. System match

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

To get back onto the original subject... If you actually are having trouble with the icon for an ESET program being displayed on your desktop, by all means, let us know, and we'll look into fixing it.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that ESET is company which makes security software, and graphics, while an important part of programs' attractiveness, is going to take a back row to other considerations. Adding custom icons to ensure compatibility with third-party custom skins, non-standard PPI scaling, etc. all takes up space in a program, and I think that most (some? many? all?) of ESET's customers would rather have a program that uses less memory than more, even if it's only a few tens or hundreds of kilobytes for graphics.

I appreciate all the feedback everyone's shared so far in this thread, as well as the interesting ideas about how ESET's programs might look in the future. Hmm... perhaps we should start a new thread, just on that subject.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that ESET is company which makes security software, and graphics, while an important part of programs' attractiveness, is going to take a back row to other considerations. Adding custom icons to ensure compatibility with third-party custom skins, non-standard PPI scaling, etc. all takes up space in a program, and I think that most (some? many? all?) of ESET's customers would rather have a program that uses less memory than more, even if it's only a few tens or hundreds of kilobytes for graphics.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi Aryeh,

I just wanted to say thank you for this comment, I know you've said something similar before but it's worth to mention again I think. It gives a good feeling. Every "bit" counts  ;)

Edited by SweX