The V7 icon is so ugly..

Guest zfactor

personally i miss the old eye from the old nod days.. maybe just me though. i actually prefer the e to the current eye myself. the eye was not at all bad though. i think the e fits better with win 8 (but know i dont use win 8 and may never will....). otherwise i LOVE the simplified looking gui... PLEASE do not go and chang it to be all crazy and flashy colorful and just ridiculous like most av's are going towards today. i love the gui its just so clean and simple one of the best today!!

• ESET Insiders

The new icon is fine. If we were going to go backwards I would like to see something that looks more like the good old 2.x days.

To be honest, I think the "eye" icon was changed to the "e" because of remote support. It's kind of hard to tell a new user to click on the "eye" icon and they will say "I don't see an 'i' icon"

I miss the eye icon, but the e icon isn't so bad. I'm happy the animations are still in place. For me, they are what's most helpful as far as the tray icon is concerned.

Agree, the 1st thing I seen was the new icon in tray and its looks out of place with the other icons I have in Win 8.

I think its a touch smaller than before but something just does not look right.

I agree, the new icon is horrible! Having that eye in the systray is very reassuring and familiar.

New icon does not say "Eset" to me, its branding is all wrong! I very much want the eye back and want it to blink when it's scanning or wants your attention, with a on/off switch obviously, not to everyone's taste I'm sure. 

Eye icon needs to come back, re-branding for no reason is a stupid waste of time, money and can loose customers. Did anyone ask for a new icon? I have never seen that asked for anywhere on any forum about Eset ever!

What did the frustrated graphic artist use to qualify for the job, a crayon and a piece of paper? ;0)

I never thought I would ever need to say this, but, "give me my eye back"!

Guest DaZa9

Personally I see the new icon is good. 

another thing to ESET please add Gamer mode and Update to tray menu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Please bring back the eye icon or at least make it an option.  I liked the icon for version 4 the best.  The new icon is uninspired and sticks out like a sore thumb.

I would like to echo what the Malwarebytes CEO just said when someone disliked the new MBAM GUI..

He said "Can't please everyone"  I said very true.

And IMO having an option to switch between systray icons is to say the least a bit extreme. That it sticks out is only good wich means it's easy for customers to locate in amongst the other icons when needed. You will start to like it more and more over time don't worry.

Edited by SweX

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

Is the Displaying Scaling of the monitor you are viewing the icon on set to something other than 100%? 

In some respects, anti-malware software falls under the heading of systems/utility software, and there's going to be a limit on how far the user interface elements can be customized.  It can become pretty complicated to determine what's running on a computer at a glance if all the system tray notification area icons were open to all sorts of customizations.  For that matter, what would happen if a malicious program "customized" the icon to show it as solid green when it should be flashing with some kind of alert?

The thing to keep in mind is that most customers never give the UI another thought after they've installed the software, unless they are renewing, or they get a report of malware being blocked on their system.  The anti-malware software usually get's touched a lot less by them compared to their applications software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

The icon is not even the same quality as before or my other icons in the tray looks funny.

Choice is good and many Apps give users the choice of style/colour or tray icons even free Apps.

Scaling is 100% on a Sony FW900 (small round pixels so should look better than blocky LCD) but same on my LCD's it was reported by many Beta testers but as usual fell on deaf ears.

It looks cheap esp. the edges as if I drew it in paint.

Its not a deal breaker but still mentioned enough by forum members and no clue how you can say nobody bothers with GUI once installed, its a icon I see in my Notification Area permanently, I use it to open GUI and ideally Update if you added that back in same as older versions (again suggested by many).

When is this site going to support IE11 fully as its been out long enough?

Edited by Temp Member

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The only times I have seen the new icon look blocky are when Display Scaling was set to something other than 100%, a non-native screen resolution was being used, or the taskbar at the bottom of the screen was changed in some fashion (skinning utility, user changed screen layout in display properties, etc.).

There are a couple of interesting discussions here and here regarding how icons are sized for the system notification area. It looks like there might be some things which can be done, but I'm unclear as to the what sort of impact these kinds of things will have on system memory.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Its the only icons that looks ###### and past ESS ones were fine, nothing is modded on my PC and its looked as bad in Vista as it does is Win8/8.1

Again not a deal breaker and I thought this section was closed till I seen the post but its still a niggle and was brought up and nothing done about it.

Thanks for your time but next beta test get ESET to listen to testers even for little things like cosmetics.

Edited by Temp Member

Its the only icons that looks ###### and past ESS ones were fine, nothing is modded on my PC and its looked as bad in Vista as it does is Win8/8.1

I hate to say it but the icon looks great here in good ole' Win XP  :D

And indeed it's just an icon  B)