ESET Failed to start 9.1.1295.0

Hi
Not sure what to do with that info. 
basically the tried to update ESET from the console. It failed to stop the server (ESET PROTECT Server) 
I forced stop it and restarted it again
Ran the update again, this time it seemed to have been able to stop it. 
However it never was able to finish the installation properly. 
I am stuck with this error message when trying to open the console:
image.png.24081ca60f8b26a905e4a23702f66b78.png

I tried to check logs, but couldn't find anything. 
Any idea where to look for, how can I start diagnosing it? 

Thanks

• Administrators

I would recommend opening a support ticket and providing at least trace.log created after restarting the VA or the ESET PROTECT service.

Just wondering @Marcos
Have you ever ran into this issue? 
Error: Service [Thread 1a9c]: Service run-time failed with: Incompatible data types in stream operation (32000)

• ESET Staff
8 hours ago, avielc said:

Just wondering @Marcos
Have you ever ran into this issue? 
Error: Service [Thread 1a9c]: Service run-time failed with: Incompatible data types in stream operation (32000)

Could you please provide us more details (trace logs from ESET PROTECT) via private message? It might indicate some database-related issue, possibly triggered by upgrade.

11 hours ago, mrac said:

This error in most cases equals to not started\broken "Apache Tomcat" service. And Apache Tomcat often not starting because of wrong path to JRE/JDK, can be fixed by editing in tomcat7w.exe, like described here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb7088-install-esmc-web-console-using-jdk

Thanks mate for the idea. 
I have JDK 8 installed and ESET was running before, after the update it failed. (I did try to upgrade to JDK11 too, didn't help) 
I assume it's related to Martin's info about database related issue. 

Thanks again!

Bottom line for now, I barely managed to roll back to 9.0, so for now it's stable again. 
That was a good test to my backup. seems to be almost perfect, (now it should be perfect) 

Looking forward to hear results regarding that database. issue
Thanks

I also encountered the same authorization error after upgrading to ESET PROTECT 9.1. Restarting the Tomcat9 and EraServerSvc services helped me. After restarting the services, I waited for some time, because the task manager showed that the database service was loaded at that moment. Then I tried to connect via the web interface, and everything went well.

5 minutes ago, labynko said:

I also encountered the same authorization error after upgrading to ESET PROTECT 9.1. Restarting the Tomcat9 and EraServerSvc services helped me. After restarting the services, I waited for some time, because the task manager showed that the database service was loaded at that moment. Then I tried to connect via the web interface, and everything went well.

Are you saying the database might have had an upgrade process going on in the background and because of that it crashed the ESET service instead of continuing to work \ producing some notification message telling you to stand by until it's done migrating the db? 

avielc, it looks like it.
I have a fast drive and the database update may have gone quickly.
Is your current version of the database application on the list of supported by ESET PROTECT 9.1?

That makes sense.

However in my case, the ESET Service fails on its own, so it's not a question of if I try to login or not, it just stops on itself. 
as for current version of db - since this goes back all the way to v6,so I had an old db server, but recently I had it updated to a later version. so it should be good. 
However disk wise it might be a slow one.

I had same problem. Same error after upgrade. Tried to restart services but that didn't help me.

At the end i restore earlier backup to version 9.0. I just now looked here and found that few more people had similar problem.

As @labynko said, maybe i should wait a little longer after restarting Tomcat and EraServerSvc services. But i will wait more after i try to upgrade again.

Edited by Dusan

• Administrators

Please always open a support ticket to troubleshoot issues like this since further logs and diagnostics will be needed.

6 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please always open a support ticket to troubleshoot issues like this since further logs and diagnostics will be needed.

As mentioned before Marcos

My ticket was closed with "wait for a week until ESET global will fix this" 
basically the support just blew my request for assistance away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
2 minutes ago, Byron Alvarez said:

I tried all suggestions off the post. But i continue having the same problem.

Do you have any solution ?

I believe that there is a problem with the database,

Please open a support ticket for further assistance with troubleshooting the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

@Byron Alvarez - in my case the issue was with sysinspector logs that I was running from the web console. 
apparently ESET Database reached a size of 7.7gb (using mssql) 
while trying to upgrade the database grew to 10gb (assuming some internal queries to run on the tables) and hit a lock. which is why the system can't recover and start the eset server.

This is true to my case - I suggest you check what's the status of your database if it's that big or not. 

and also check the ESET PROTECT logs they might provide you more info. 

in my case, I eventually truncated the sysinspector tables (tbid and tbif so it'll clean up nicely in the console)