ESETS Endpoint Mac writing excessive data to hard drive on M1 Mac

rch

Hi, endpoint security v6 on an M1 Mac running Big Sur 11.6.7 - recently, swap seems to be getting more usage than usual, and memory pressure keeps going into yellow with system freezes occurring... esets_daemon occasionally has high memory use - right now it is using 1.06 GB... but when I look at Bytes written to disk it is by far the highest... it has written 46GB to disk since last restart and 10GB in the last day. What is going on? Is this amount written to disk related to the swap usage? Is this a normal amount for esets_daemon to be writing to disk?

I have almost the same issues with v7, ticket 00388035. I asked user to get log collector's logs, but log collector hanged during it.

Yesterday's screenshots:

1.png

2.png

• Administrators

How long does it take after a system restart for memory consumption to grow to 1 GB and then to 10 GB or more?

Do you perform any network-intensive operations during that period?

Users starting to complain in 2-3 hours after install. I'm not macOS user, cannot say more precise. Also they confirming that reboot doesn't help. Reinstall helps in 100% cases, but several days later it is appearing again 

@Marcos: I opened ticket about issue with macOS version (ticket #00388035), added 2 different LogCollector logs and many screenshots. They answered a couple of e-mails after you moved ticket to HQ and after that - nothing. My boss saying that he don't want to prolong 1000+ licenses of ESET with such support, we need solution for macOS.

Also, I opened ticket #00395330 about new ESET Protect 9.1. 4 days gone, nobody answered. No need anymore, I reinstalled server completely.

Where I can look tickets and manage them? I receiving only emails. Is it anywhere client-accessible portal with tickets?

• Administrators

@mrac, we have escalated the ticket and provided DE support with the very latest version of ESET Endpoint for MacOS. This version addresses issues that might resolve also yours, however, since it was tested only briefly and it has not yet undergone pre-release QA tests, we recommend installing it only on one machine so far to find out if it helps in your case. We expect DE support to contact you very soon.

it's possible latest update ESET Endpoint has fixed this for me - bytes written does not seem to be growing any more by the esets_daemon

@Marcos: We deployed 7.2-test version on computers with issues (7.0, 7.1 installed), on 22 computers. All users for ~1 week testing are saying that CPU\RAM\Disk overload gone and this version is fine for them. One user complained that after this version install, macOS failed to install system updates (download fine, applying update failed several times). After uninstall of ESET, macOS updated without issues. Other users has no issues with macOS updates. Will wait for release of 7.2

• 5 weeks later...

I'm getting a lot of the same issue on our new M1 Max MacBook Pro's. my developers are complaining that its slowing down their builds to much. 

did you every find a solution?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, TylerM said:

I'm getting a lot of the same issue on our new M1 Max MacBook Pro's. my developers are complaining that its slowing down their builds to much.

If the issue occurs with the latest version of ESET Endpoint Antivirus 7.0.7300, please collect logs as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404, open a ticket with your local ESET distributor and supply them with the generated archive.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again, I'm noticing this problem seems to have returned on my M1 Mac Mini... esets_daemon again is writing enormous amounts to disk - currently at 37.54 GB in 4.5 days... the only item higher is kernel_task at 41.40 GB but it seems to increase in step with esets_daemon

When this happens, system memory pressure goes into yellow, increased swap is used and system starts to slow down to a crawl...

Big Sur 11.7, with ESET Endpoint Security 6.11.202

After restart, esets_daemon has written 3.25 GB to disk in about 18 hrs... and now esets_daemon is constantly using 100.3% of CPU....

Big Sur 11.7, with ESET Endpoint Security 6.11.202