Outlook really slow to open with ESET Endpoint Antivirus 9.1.2051.0

Outlook connecting to O365

With Outlook Integration enabled Outlook opens to a blank inbox and status of updating folder and after about 10-15 seconds displays inbox and status of Connected to Microsoft Exchange. Alternate symptom is Outlook splash screen sits for about 10-15 seconds with status of processing before Outlook opens to inbox.

With Outlook Integration disabled Outlook opens to inbox within 3 seconds with status of Connected to Microsoft Exchange then shows updating folder.

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. Close MS Outlook.
  2. Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  3. Reproduce the issue
  4. Stop logging
  5. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector.
  6. Open a support ticket and provide the generated archive.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Martin Peacock said:

I can confirm we are getting outlook crashing \ slowness etc across many of out clients

Please follow the instructions in my post above. It is necessary to get the logs in order to investigate what's going on on your machines, otherwise the issue cannot be identified and fixed.

• Administrators

Customer care should provide you with instructions how to upload bigger files. For instance, you can upload the generated archive with logs to a file sharing service and drop me a personal message with a download link.

Also have this issue since updating to 9.1.2051, attaching emails is painfully slow, outlook is laggy and buggy as hell, type away and nothing appears almost like cpu is at 100% when it isnt. Moving emails to another folder - forget it.

365 versions of Outlook sit on the splash screen on "Processing" for an age

Pro Plus VL versions seem to open speed wise fine, but then sit on a blank inbox screen for ages and then as reported takes 20-30 secs to connect to exchange.

Support witnessed the 365 version issue, and can also too replicate "fixing it" by disabling the Outlook integration, or rolling back to 9.0.2046 which makes Outlook a happy bunny again

Opened case with support and uploaded logs - Case 00396052

Edited by FTL

I got this response from support

image.png.78e19f51c3f14246111f29269ef20e4a.png

Can you please disable scanning modified emails and let us know, if the issue is still present or gone? 

Good afternoon all,

To fellow IT personnel fighters out there, 

Confirming it started with one of our office users severe impacting his laptop at 13th July, most of the users received the update yesterday and massively compalined. Launching Outlook in Safe mode seemed to fix the issue. A colleague of mine came upon this topic thankfully for me saving hours of further troubleshooting with MS.

As per above dont think its a good idea to disable any of the EMAIL to SCAN , but nevertheless proceed with disabling the Advanced email client processing , as it has a relative self-explanatory and further monitor. 

To Eset support,

The detection of the exact cause is a matter of hours. Please coordinate with your dev teams and check the change log of the latest update pushed to ESET clients and if feasible clarify to us an estimated date rolling out another update to fix this, as for us to know how to handle this and if below switch  found in ESET AV -> Advanced Setup -> Advanced email client processing , does the trick . 

image.png.8a8b9195690170d737b167244063193d.png

We are hurt but still love you ❤️

Regards,

V.T

• Administrators

We plan to release a hotfix with scanning the Junk folder by antispam disabled which should resolve this kind of issues. Later we'll add settings to gui that will enable you to choose folders to scan by antispam along with an option to not scan the Junk folder on shared mailboxes at all.

Turning any or all of these settings off have not resolved it for me.

Still only way to get Outlook behaving again is to turn off Outlook integration (which im not doing) or rolling back to v9.0.2046

Im getting constantly moaned at, so please ESET give us a fix for this

Ive not had any update at all to my case raised.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, FTL said:

Turning any or all of these settings off have not resolved it for me.

Do you mean that turning off email client antispam protection didn't make any difference either? In such case, emails would not be modified by ESET under any circumstances with Endpoint 9.1+.

image.png

30 minutes ago, FTL said:

Still only way to get Outlook behaving again is to turn off Outlook integration (which im not doing) or rolling back to v9.0.2046

The legacy Outlook plug-in had been causing infamous sync issues for years. Now we have a solution that doesn't modify email messages at all except Antispam that may write into them under specific circumstances. However, the forthcoming version of Endpoint 9.1 will not do it any more so no modifications to messages will occur at all. We believe the forthcoming service build of Endpoint 9.1 could be available in less than a month.

Turning off these options doesnt make a difference to the issue

Screenshot 2022-07-21 122216.png

Screenshot 2022-07-21 122254.png

Turning this one off makes Outlook happy again

Screenshot 2022-07-21 122235.png

I cant see the antispam setting you have posted?

Edited by FTL

• Administrators

If disabling integration with MS Outlook doesn't make any difference, then ESET does not modify emails at all unless a threat is detected at which point it would be cleaned by the POP3(S) or IMAP(S) scanner, whichever protocol you use to fetch email from the mail server. I'd recommend opening a support ticket for further troubleshooting then.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

If disabling integration with MS Outlook doesn't make any difference, then ESET does not modify emails at all unless a threat is detected at which point it would be cleaned by the POP3(S) or IMAP(S) scanner, whichever protocol you use to fetch email from the mail server. I'd recommend opening a support ticket for further troubleshooting then.

Disabling MS Outlook Integration does resolve the issue. But im not going to disable that for obviosu reasons.

Outlook connected to o365 for email

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, FTL said:

Disabling MS Outlook Integration does resolve the issue. But im not going to disable that for obviosu reasons.

Apologize for that, I misread your reply.

Please wait for the forthcoming service build of Endpoint v9.1 (should be available soon) which will have scanning of messaged in the Junk folder disabled. Then under no circumstances ESET will write to received messages which should prevent this kind of issues. Alternatively you could contact technical support via a ticket, asking for the very latest version of the Outlook plug-in for testing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 11:08 PM, Marcos said:

A new service release of Endpoint 9.1 should be available soon.

we are currently using 9.0.2046.0. will Eset auto-update skip 9.1.2051.0?  I am afraid that the clients maybe auto upgrade to this version some day.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, tbsky said:

we are currently using 9.0.2046.0. will Eset auto-update skip 9.1.2051.0?  I am afraid that the clients maybe auto upgrade to this version some day.

Yes but not to v9.1.2051 but to a newer one, depending on the feedback on the upcoming service release of Endpoint 9.1.

9 hours ago, Marcos said:

Yes but not to v9.1.2051 but to a newer one, depending on the feedback on the upcoming service release of Endpoint 9.1.

that sounds great.  would you consider make announcement about these kind of event? I had subscribe "ESET Knowledgebase Support News". so every time when there is new software release I will get email. but as an administrator, there is more important things I want to know: "when will something happen to my user?". 

like endpoint 8.0 suddenly alarm user "product end of life" by module, or client auto-upgrade to some version. I want to know these before the event happened. it's not good to be noticed by user and find out what happened.

Hi Marcos

Do you have an estimated release date for the hotfix? We're facing the same issue with our customers on several hundreds of computer. Many thanks for your feedback.

Best regards

bix

to date we have had to deactivate all outlook plug-ins for over 50 customers.

outlook slow / crashes .

Customer very dissatisfied!