Outlook and ESET Outlook Add-in Sync Issues/Conflicts

Matschek

Hi,

the problem with the Outlook Add-in which generates confilicts and email duplicates was reported several times in the last years (see threads below) and promised to be fixed in version 7.x, then in 8x., but is is still existent in version 9.

What is the plan to fix it?

KR,

Matschek

• Administrators

With v9 only antispam can generate sync issues and only under very specific circumstances, e.g. if an email was manually reclassified, if the email was initially evaluated as spam and later the classification changed (e.g. in case of FP) and the email was moved from Junk to Inbox or if the email was evaluated based on an address list but Antispam evaluated it differently.

We plan to stop scanning the Junk folder by antispam which should eventually stop sync issues even under the above mentioned circumstances.

Same issue after last update. On shared inbox with other users. Spam-Mail goes to SPAM folder, and each outlook replication multiplies it. Mail is being returned to inbox and returns to spam as a copy. After a couple of minutes we can find 1200 copies of the same mail (similar to copy paste). Each mail’s subject is SPAM prefixed. The only way is to close outlook at all  users and delete copied mails directly on server (thru web access). Then all users must open outlook again and constantly “empty” spam folder. Then it is the fire extinguished… until the next spam arrives. It is disaster. All updates installed, ESET endpoint the last version as well as web console (9.1) took place last week. we are exhausted and consider changing the antivirus program

web and mail option -> scan modified mails option is switched off

On 7/12/2022 at 5:47 PM, Matschek said:

Hi,

the problem with the Outlook Add-in which generates confilicts and email duplicates was reported several times in the last years (see threads below) and promised to be fixed in version 7.x, then in 8x., but is is still existent in version 9.

What is the plan to fix it?

KR,

Matschek

Same issue after last update. On shared inbox with other users. Spam-Mail goes to SPAM folder, and each outlook replication multiplies it. Mail is being returned to inbox and returns to spam as a copy. After a couple of minutes we can find 1200 copies of the same mail (similar to copy paste). Each mail’s subject is SPAM prefixed. The only way is to close outlook at all  users and delete copied mails directly on server (thru web access). Then all users must open outlook again and constantly “empty” spam folder. Then it is the fire extinguished… until the next spam arrives. It is disaster. All updates installed, ESET endpoint the last version as well as web console (9.1) took place last week. we are exhausted and consider changing the antivirus program

web and mail option -> scan modified mails option is switched off

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. Close Outlook
  2. Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  3. Reproduce the issue
  4. Stop logging
  5. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector, open a support ticket and provide the logs when asked by technical support.

Does temporarily disabling antispam make a difference? Do you receive email on multiple devices at a time?

Antyspam is temporarily disabled and everything is fixed. Endpoint changed to antivirus…. Problem is by ESET side after last update. Ticket summited  NUMER#01088701

ESET must check what destroyed 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, root said:

Antyspam is temporarily disabled and everything is fixed. Endpoint changed to antivirus…. Problem is by ESET side after last update. Ticket summited  NUMER#01088701

ESET must check what destroyed 

Please make sure that you have all endpoints updated to v9.1.2041 or newer. The problem is caused by having an older v9.1 in the network that scans the email.

All endpoints were 2051. Updates were made centrally from console. Problem was Kia’s after updates clients to 2051….. until update was fine

Hi,

Is there any news on a fix for this as we have a client that is having the exact issue as above.

They are running Endpoint Security V 9.1.2051.0 with outlook version 365.

Emails that are already classified as spam buy Microsoft and or the users block list are being moved from the junk email folder and put back in the inbox, they are then sometimes duplicated in the inbox up to 4 times and then but not always eventually moved back to junk. This is obviously a huge security risk especially if the user has blocked the sender.

In testing it is 100% the anti spam feature in V 9.1.2051.0 because  if you turn it off the issue goes away.

Many thanks

I thik, that security risk will be huge, especially when tha email, moving form SPAM to Inbox back and forth is really virus carrier or ransomwere (not plain sapm). It will be unthinkable when ESET antispam scanner will be duplicating that email (with real virus or ransomware)in thousends..... Thus hope eset will fix this issue urgently (!). Now we have this option (see attached files) off and everything is ok, but we have ENDPOINT ver (with antispam) not ANTIVIRUS (without spam), therefore having premium version with main option off is nonsense....

Problem was only on shared inboxes, i e when one email address was (is) shared with many users, on client's Outlooks (the same mail for example contact@abc.com)

In minutes we had over thousands emails multiplied (initially one mail was moved to SPAM, afert a minute was moved to Inbox, and afterwards two emails were moved to SPAM, then Outlooks at other users stated to replicate, and in the minutese one email was changed to 1300 copies....

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Administrators

There is no big danger in moving email from Junk to Inbox. This can fix false positives of the native Outlook antispam. As for malicious attachments, those are rather subject to detection by virus scanners which are not affected by moving messages between folders.

We are preparing a hotfix that will temporarily disable scanning of the Junk folder.

In the near future you will be able to specify what folders you want to scan by antispam.

Dear Marcos, I would rather suggest to return to the ver solution before 2051 rather then omit some folders. Please note we also use mobile ver of Outlook or Mail app (Apple) on iOS or Android with attached the same email account IMAP, for example on my iPhone there is no ESET..... What if I manually move mail from my mobile from Inbox  to SPAM folder which will be "omitted" in ESET on our PCs ? For instance on Sunday evening when all PCss are off.... Moreover, on web app junk folder is really used as JUNK (name of the folder), whilst on PC is SPAM folder (both are visible, but on web Junk is used, on PCs SPAM is used automatically). Note before ver 2051 all was fine. To consider...

• Administrators

As I wrote, there will be a setting in gui which will enable you to specify if and where the Junk folder will be scanned by antispam. Writing to messages in the Junk folder causes issues with shared mailboxes.

14 hours ago, Marcos said:

There is no big danger in moving email from Junk to Inbox. This can fix false positives of the native Outlook antispam. As for malicious attachments, those are rather subject to detection by virus scanners which are not affected by moving messages between folders.

We are preparing a hotfix that will temporarily disable scanning of the Junk folder.

In the near future you will be able to specify what folders you want to scan by antispam.

Hi Marcos, Sorry to disagree but moving emails from the Junk Email folder back into the inbox and in plain view of the client is a big danger in my eyes, especially when in my instance Microsofts 365 Cloud service has already marked these emails as suspicious and put them in the junk folder for that reason. And in another example the client has for a whatever reason blocked certain senders and your plugin is taking those blocked emails and putting then back in the inbox. So I would see this as a big danger and i am quite surprised that for a company who's whole product base is about security and making customers more secure cant see that also. Again just my thoughts and I hope to see the fix soon as at the moment we have what I think is a major component of Endpoint Security disabled.

one more note.  after updating to 2051, i.e. since the problems occurred, we noticed that when attaching any mailbox in outlook, the folder structure is different.  the spam folder still exists as IMAP but additionally a folder called "junk mail - this computer only" was created.  the spam folder did not have an "empty folder" feature, while this feature was active in the "junk mail - this computer only" folder.  this change applied to all mailboxes, ie individual and shared mailboxes.  after disabling the integration option with outlook and other options indicated on the print screens mentioned in the entries above, the folder structure in outlook, when connecting the account, it creates properly as before the update, i.e. the spam folder has the "empty folder" function active and the "junk mail - only this computer" folder  it does not form at all.  therefore, instead of creating the function of excluding folders from scanning that was proposed in the hotfix, eset should immediately check what it broke in the update and should immediately restore the previous functionality

before the update to 2051, such a structure was created with the outlook integration option turned on

One of our users is having the same issue, junk emails are moved to the junk folder, then return and are downloaded again. Running v9.1.2051.0. 

Been having the same issue with Spam email being returned to the Inbox since updating to 9.1.2051.0. I'm a bit concerned over the lack of interest from ESET in fixing it.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, S t e v e said:

Been having the same issue with Spam email being returned to the Inbox since updating to 9.1.2051.0. I'm a bit concerned over the lack of interest from ESET in fixing it.

This will be fixed in the forthcoming service release of Endpoint v9.1 which should be available soon.

dear Marcos from eset
Perhaps the simplest way would be simply revert to previous version instead of wading into defected solution implemented in version 2051 ? Pls note we are facing this problem for 2 months and must have antyspam off so far but in endpoint version we pay for it. We are not test users but we are customers. Does ESET consider to compensate our wasted time and break in using feature we pay for but we don’t have?

Any concrete idea when this will be available to us? I hear terms like 'Soon' and 'Next Week' but, this has been an ongoing problem for almost a month.... We don't want to roll back and we really don't want to just en masse disable the anti-spam portion of ESET, because why have your product at that point? Any old AV would do, right?

This seems like a terribly big miss, but no one is in a hurry to actually fix it? :( 

Certainly doesn't fill me with the warm fuzzies for ESET. Maybe it's time to look elsewhere for something better suited to my organization?

This is beyond disappointing that the above is deemed an actual and acceptable response.... I can't in good conscience anymore, recommend ESET in a professional or personal scenario.

• Administrators

A new service release of Endpoint (v9.1.2057) is scheduled for tomorrow. The whole release process takes several weeks, it's not that all issues are fixed and the product in about 40 languages tested on all platforms in 2 or 3 days.