ESET Smart Security 7 Beta & ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7 Beta Released – Give Feedback and win

3,308K used,lightest eset i ever used!

disregard my previous q on activation btw,got that sorted

the first scan indeed takes forever,seems to be hanging on 99%,forced reboot,scan showed as completed,lolz

maybe a little feedback-sugestion?

as many pc users dont realise how fast core temps rise when the fans and ribs get clogged up with dust,maybe as extra security there might b a core temp monitor implemented in tools?

this so that those of us with sensors there have an extra tool to check the inside?

Tried to install along side the free McAfee from my ISP.  I'm not sure if this caused the problem, but the install failed silently.  I rebooted, and retried the install, and my computer froze.  Nothing would run or load, and nothing was in use.  RAM wasn't growing.  Disk was IDLE.  CPU was IDLE.  I had to boot into rescue mode and use a restore point.  I'm willing to try again some time in the future if this becomes a known issue and a workaround or fix is published, but for now, not pleased.

Installed Beta 7 today on Vizio ultrabook.  It is running great.

It is the first time I have used Eset's function to locate a lost or stolen ultrabook.  I registered and ran the test of the program and it worked perfectly.  It is a great tool.

Five thumbs up.  (Top rating)

Tried to install along side the free McAfee from my ISP.  I'm not sure if this caused the problem, but the install failed silently.  I rebooted, and retried the install, and my computer froze.  Nothing would run or load, and nothing was in use.  RAM wasn't growing.  Disk was IDLE.  CPU was IDLE.  I had to boot into rescue mode and use a restore point.  I'm willing to try again some time in the future if this becomes a known issue and a workaround or fix is published, but for now, not pleased.

Two antivirus programs running together in the same system is something that you really shouldn't do. 

Just installed Smart Security 7 Beta, the install was done in less than a minute.  Updated definitions and version which took a few minutes and now i'm running the first "smart scan".  Seems to be running at a similar full scan speed to past Security suites I've used (Kaspersky 11, 12 and Windows Security Essentials).  It looks like there are a lot of tools to look into with this program so I will be updating or posting again after a couple days.

Does the Smart Security have ongoing object scanning, like in the background?  Kaspersky had this and I liked the fact it was always updating and scanning, never had to do much of anything after I first installed the program.  

Thanks for the opportunity to review your product, it seems great so far!

• Administrators

Which exact McAfee product do you have installed on your pc? In order to prevent issues and clashes, AV programs usually detect an existing security solution and don't allow to continue with installation until the

current AV program is uninstalled completely. This check is also performed by ESET products, including v7.

ATT Internet Security Suite Powered by McAfee

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version 11.6

Build 11.6.511

McAfee Virus Scan

Version 15.6

Build 15.6.245

For the record, I'm fairly experienced as a computer user, and mostly competent.  As such, I would never uninstall one working security product to install another unknown untested beta product on a production system, even if it is my bleeding edge desktop.  I definitely expect some performance problems running multiple security suites.  I've run as many as 3 simultaneously before without such hanging issues.

Which exact McAfee product do you have installed on your pc? In order to prevent issues and clashes, AV programs usually detect an existing security solution and don't allow to continue with installation until the

current AV program is uninstalled completely. This check is also performed by ESET products, including v7.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Unwanted.

Potentially Unwanted Applications are programs which are not necessarily malicious (although they could be included with or deployed by malware) but perform actions that someone may not want to happen on their computer, such as changing the home page or default search engine of the browser.

Potentially Unsafe Applications are programs which have legitimate uses, but may be abused for malign reasons.  Examples of this include certain types of remote control tools, password removing programs and other tools that a company might want to restrict use of to select personnel, such as IT staff.

For more information, please see the "Potentially Unwanted Applications White Paper Updated" blog post (and accompanying white paper) on ESET's We Live Security.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

You mean "Unwanted" or "Unsafe"? If not, what does Unsafe detect? Thank you.

Self-defence is efficient but I found a exploit-DisallowRun registry CAN stop ekrn and egui.exe from running on Startup and replace .dlls in the ESET folder or overwrite them. When I click to scan something nothing happends. Only exploitable vulnerability soo far. :(

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The problem with installing multiple anti-malware programs is that they may simultaneously access an object in an attempt to perform an exclusive operation on it, leading to a lock which has unpredictable behavior (e.g., a STOP error, kernel panic, GURU meditation error, and so forth). It's kind of like juggling flaming chainsaws--everything is fine and the juggler is okay right up to the point he (or she) slices his (or her) hand(s) off.

The reason that we do not recommend installing ESET Smart Security 7.0.28 on production systems is because it is beta code. It should only be installed on systems which can have some extended downtime in case troubleshooting an issue needs to be performed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

ATT Internet Security Suite Powered by McAfee

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version 11.6

Build 11.6.511

McAfee Virus Scan

Version 15.6

Build 15.6.245

For the record, I'm fairly experienced as a computer user, and mostly competent.  As such, I would never uninstall one working security product to install another unknown untested beta product on a production system, even if it is my bleeding edge desktop.  I definitely expect some performance problems running multiple security suites.  I've run as many as 3 simultaneously before without such hanging issues.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

That's a little outside of ESET's core functionality (security software) and tends to require fairly specialized access on a per-chipset basis.  It's probably better to run the software which comes with your motherboard or a dedicated temperature/fan monitoring program for this purpose.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

as many pc users dont realise how fast core temps rise when the fans and ribs get clogged up with dust,maybe as extra security there might b a core temp monitor implemented in tools?

this so that those of us with sensors there have an extra tool to check the inside?

When i install eset beta 7 i say wow .nice user interface ,low memory ram use.fast system startup,nice icon ,does not slow system,user frandly, thanks eset

Hello,

That's a little outside of ESET's core functionality (security software) and tends to require fairly specialized access on a per-chipset basis.  It's probably better to run the software which comes with your motherboard or a dedicated temperature/fan monitoring program for this purpose.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I agree with Aryeh, plus stuff like this doesn't belong in an AV. Adding things like this is what I count as bloat/bloatware/unnecessary features, wich we don't want or need. Other vendors are good at adding that though, unfortunately ;)

FYI I use Speccy for this:hxxp://www.piriform.com/speccy