ESET Smart Security 7 Beta & ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7 Beta Released – Give Feedback and win

Hi Devs,

A few words on ESS v7 beta

- the installation process (in my case - an upgrade from v6) took something like 10 minutes, on my i3 Thinkpad with 6 GB of RAM (Win7 x64), which is quite unacceptable; It should be a lot less, somewhere around 90 seconds.

On the install screens, it might worth explaining what Automatic / Interactive / Policy-based / Learning modes mean, maybe have them as radio buttons with comments

Bugs

In the Help and support section

Specialized cleaner - nothing happens when clicking on "Yes" and the link to the knowledge base (hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=3322&viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) leads to "Article not found"

In the Scan window

Percentage is not accurately computed - it remained at 99% for minutes and minutes, before it ended

In the Updates section

After resume from hibernate, it's stuck on signature updates

Cheers,

Bogdan

90 second installs? I have an MSI with an i5 & 8GB RAM, the install took about 3 minutes. Still, this is an improvement over previous versions. Plus no reboot was required. When there is improvement, no matter how slight, I'll take it. Install times also depends on the ISP speed, which if a cable one, may vary during peak times.

The "99%" complete even shows as such with the ESET Online Scanner, even though it may still scan for another 30 minutes or so, & also shows for a bit on V6. Kind of like a gas gauge on an auto, it's not an exact science. Ever notice how long it stays on Full, then once it begins to drop, it does so as a rock? That bugs me more than the "99%' complete does, as I know that I'm soon going to pay for more fuel. No one year subscriptions there.

Cat

Mine was 90 seconds or less.

Try thinking in terms of what the program is doing and how fast your components are vs what components you have.

The i3 (1.7-2.0) and i5 (1.3 /w 3.0Max) doesnt compare to an overclocked processor running at 4ghz+

Having 8GB of ram isnt going to speed up your install, but having Ram running at 1600+ or 2200+if ddr3 throughput, will show an improvement with installs.

Then, the writing the install data to program files and organizing all the files will be determined by HD speed. SSD's will show more improvement on install times.

Most people now days on average are downloading at 3-6megabits, with high performance users 20-60. Can safely say that is enough on download bandwidth.

With all this being said. Only having the up-to-date virus definitions already prior to starting the install will achieve the said install times.

What i have to agree on most is the Progress Bar coding on the scanner. Is the dev team using a Timer ? or a Loop ? It shouldnt sit at 98-99% and have Gigabytes of data left to scan through.

Good luck, and as always , Thanks ESET & Staff for one excellent AV Program.

In the IT industry myself, i know without a doubt, NOD32 engine and its addons destroy the competition !!

• ESET Insiders

...What i have to agree on most is the Progress Bar coding on the scanner. Is the dev team using a Timer ? or a Loop ? It shouldnt sit at 98-99% and have Gigabytes of data left to scan through....

I would assume they are counting the number of files, but not all files are the same size. A 500 GB archive would take longer to unpack and scan than a 1 kb text file. I'd rather it works like it does than for them to dumb it down like some vendors that just have a bar that scrolls by repeatedly and gives no real indication of progress.

Guest Soumya Sinha

There seem to be some problem with the update. Most of the time, Virus Signature update in progress is being shown at the taskbar, when there is no update available, it keeps on rotating and the message stays forever, unless an update is released and it is downloaded and installed by Smart Security, the rotation doesn't stop.

Guest István Csuti

I tried Smart Security Beta 7, on Windows XP.
Hmmmmmmmm
The firewall killed the ethernet adapter. I could not enable / disable.
I tried to uninstall. The removal was interrupted.
The program is not in the installed programs, but it is still running.

This version is in the beta? I think it is still alpha :)

My feedback on NOD32 x64 beta 7. My apologies if any of these things have already been suggested or are a result of me missing an option already available.

01) Alert popup dialogs are very aesthetically appealing and well designed. I would say that they are the most beautiful dialogs of any AV I've used before.

02) The HIPS popup dialogs are very easy to manage. I like the wildcard selections that are offered in the drop-down menu.

03) Advanced settings are very useful. I love the amount of settings available to the end-user.

04) The GUI isn't cluttered up with a bunch of marketing stuff. I could do without the Social scanner, but at least it is implemented in a non-obtrusive way.

05) I can't run this on my real system yet (noted below), but in my virtual machine it has been very light memory and I/O wise.

Dislikes:

01) Doesn't remember the size of HIPS rules window. It is tedious to have to resize this window all the time.

02) No way to make alerts open the advanced options drop-down as default. A setting for this would be nice.

03) Incompatible with Jetico Personal Firewall x64. This might be a minor issue for most users, but it is a major issue for me. An antivirus is useless if the only place you can trial it is in a virtual machine. Programs need to be compatible with other programs to have any value for the end-user.

I hope this feedback is of some use to ESET. I'm also hoping that the compatibility I mentioned will be fixed so that I can use this version on my real system. :)

EDIT: Updated to specify the x64 versions.

Edited by 0strodamus

• Administrators

03) Incompatible with Jetico Personal Firewall. This might be a minor issue for most users, but it is a major issue for me. An antivirus is useless if the only place you can trial it is in a virtual machine. Programs need to be compatible with other programs to have any value for the end-user.

I've installed JPF in tandem with EAV v7 beta fine, simply created allowing rules for all operations during installation and both apps seem to be running just fine. If you created allowing rules during installation, too and it doesn't work for you, please create a new topic where we could try to help you troubleshoot the issue. Also post some screen shots to illustrate the issue or give us more details about the issue you encountered,

I would like to say that eset should do something to improve the cpu performance

The load on my laptop was quite high during scans but it was better than eset 6

Eset 7 is way faster 

IMHO Eset should consider speeding up during scans to have a lesser system impact

I feel that the GUI is a bit outdated and if not anything atleast the Icons should be changed

Moreover the eset taskbar icon looks horrible I still prefer the icons of eset 4/5/6

Consider ...

Also the HIPS is still pretty weak and the default rules are not so strong 

and we have to make rules using the interactive mode which is tiresome and complicated for

the ordinary pc user

Additionally, the firewall should also scan outgoing traffic alongwith the inbound traffic 

Scans could be faster 

The GUI could be a lot more zippier

Also , during scans it shows that it is scanning files but the percentage bar remains at 0% and then immediately

jumps to ~50%

Weird 

Also, the percentage bar should show the progress of overall scan not of the folder it is scanning

Alerts do get annoying sometimes as in if i have excluded a file from detection , why does eset have to detect it always 

even when i have asked it not to

The popups are very good but they could be improved - like the colour scheme etc

Edited by AK_Beta_Tester

Guest nietzsche

There seem to be some problem with the update. Most of the time, Virus Signature update in progress is being shown at the taskbar, when there is no update available, it keeps on rotating and the message stays forever, unless an update is released and it is downloaded and installed by Smart Security, the rotation doesn't stop.

This just started happening to me too, very annoying, can this be fixed?

• Administrators

This just started happening to me too, very annoying, can this be fixed?

Please make a video demonstrating the issue and post the link to it here then.

Both on-access and on-demand scan detections are good; URL detection is excellent.

I submitted about a dozen files and a couple of urls, and they were quickly integrated into the signature database.

Wonderful job, ESET!

Forgot to mention: no conflict with EMET 4, COMODO Firewall, KeyScrambler or Sandboxie; all popular browsers (Chrome, Dragon, Firefox, Opera, IE) are behaving well and protected as before.

Edited by ESETNod32

WishList: Memory Flash.

Though very light even in low specification machines, ESET memory usage could further be limited by using integrated memory flashing. On experimental basis, for example, when I use CleanMem (XP SP3), erkn.exe shows an average memory usage of about 7MB, down from  90MB.

Edited by Daneel

Guest Mokona

After installing ESET Smart Security 7 Beta in Windows 8.1 Preview, BSOD came out after some time.

ESET Smart Security 6 seems to be working fine on Windows 8.1 Preview.

• Administrators

After installing ESET Smart Security 7 Beta in Windows 8.1 Preview, BSOD came out after some time.

ESET Smart Security 6 seems to be working fine on Windows 8.1 Preview.

This is a known v7 issue with Windows 8.1 which will be addressed in the next beta build.

HIPS blocking Explorer.exe?

Setting: HIPS, Self-defense and AMS enabled; HIPS set at Ineteractive Mode after training; XP SP3.

Log: Multiple events as "Get access to file", target being "egui.exe", rule "self-defense".

Edited by ESETNod32

Sometimes freeze pages  when the browser charging data when i disable proteccion the browser page charge very fast ( Im using Google Chrome  Versión 27.0.1453.116 m - OS WIN 7 ULTIMATE - Intel Core2 duo 1.8 4gb Ram)

Regards

03) Incompatible with Jetico Personal Firewall. This might be a minor issue for most users, but it is a major issue for me. An antivirus is useless if the only place you can trial it is in a virtual machine. Programs need to be compatible with other programs to have any value for the end-user.

I've installed JPF in tandem with EAV v7 beta fine, simply created allowing rules for all operations during installation and both apps seem to be running just fine. If you created allowing rules during installation, too and it doesn't work for you, please create a new topic where we could try to help you troubleshoot the issue. Also post some screen shots to illustrate the issue or give us more details about the issue you encountered,

Marcos, did you use the x64 versions? I should have specified that in my original post, which I have updated. The x86 versions do not conflict, only the x64 versions. I just tried again and the conflict remains. I did create a topic located here. I'm not sure how you created allowing rules during installation. NOD32 doesn't prompt for any rules during install. Jetico Personal Firewall only prompts for trusted and blocked network IP addresses. The application rules it creates during install are via the template wizard and I did allow all of the rules it created. I have also completely bypassed all rules in the firewall without success. Unfortunately, the issue goes deeper than a simple misconfiguration of the rules by the end user. Thanks for the reply.

I have NOD32 on my 3 Windows 7 computers and don't want to disturb them so I am trying the beta on my laptop which has Vista 32 bit.

I'll be back. :)

I was surprised to see the message to uninstall anti-spyware and firewall programs as I was about it install the beta. Was there a warning somewhere else? I guess I missed it. :(

Hi

I would like ESET to have a powerfull antispam addon for latest thunderbird, maybe clouded. A better way to go to the advanced tool settings. Another UI color.

Edited by Buddaz

Guest bryan
eset corp eset 7 have a error in the submit sample for anlalisys to laboratory for example if eset detect 5 virus and you whant to send it say error cant sumit so when you are going to sumit 5 file that have detect it dont let you send it all please fix that lol
Like · 

Guest bryan

eset corp you need to make the eset scan more faster eset 7 do not detect back door or some malware on the page  that enter silent but malware bites  detect it what going on en you when you as page or in the pc . eset is making the pc slower and freeze fix that and make it more faster and 

light and make the firewall more storng  that detectthis  Block Fragmented IP Packets     

IP fragment overlapped IP fragmentation buffer full IP fragment overrun  IP fragment overwrite IP fragment too many datagrams IP fragment incomplete datagram IP fragment too small  DNS Port scan and dns port scan atack  Port Scan Detection  IP Flood Detection  Sniffer Attack Application-Layer Attack  Compromised-Key Attack  Man-in-the-Middle Attack  Password-Based Attacks Identity Spoofing (IP Address Spoofing)  Eavesdrop  The following is a partial short list of attacks:  this maibe use by the goverment 

DNS poisoning   Teardrop   Ping broadcast     Fraggle Attack   Application Flood SYN Flood  Replay Attack  Polymorphic Viruses Stealth Virus  Retrovirus and more etc

• ESET Insiders

Win7Pro, SP1, 64bit, ENG

NOD32 v6 ENG (up-to-date!)

Upgrade to ESS7Beta results with protection disabled

Restart solves the problem

BUT - ESS message only *suggests* restart, it's not an obligation, and I believe it should be

Best regards

Tomo

• ESET Insiders

Win7Pro, SP1, 64bit, ENG

WinXP, SP3, 32bit, ENG

ESS7Beta, ENG

Enable Tools -> Alerts and notifications -> Send event notifications by mail

(set on diagnostic)

Mail is being sent; Subject "ESET Smart Security: Warning", but Body is empty

(looks like it's empty both for notifications and virus alerts; but, cannot be sure, because - it's empty :-) )

Best regards

Tomo

P.S. I just noticed same problem on ESS v4 Business edition..

Endpoint Security 5 HRV looks like it's working fine:

"...

1.7.2013. 16:54:02 – tijekom izvršavanja programa Aktualizacija na računalu COMPUTERNAME pojavilo se sljedeće upozorenje: Updater: retval = 0x0000, failures: 0

..."

Edited by PodrskaNORT

v7.0.28.0

firefox 22 + flash plugin = hangs/no responding/crash, slow startup

firefox 22 wo flash plugin = normal

v6.0.0.316.0

firefox 22 + flash plugin = normal

tested site: youtu.be

w7SP1x64