Strawberry perl being blocked

Okay, I’ve got a strange one here, hopefully I can get some help.  This may or not be actually related to Eset, although indications are it is.  Bear with me, this will take a little explaining.

Background information:

Windows 11,  Version 22H2 (OS Build 22621.105)

Eset Internet Security, fully updated, 15.1.12.0

Strawberry Perl, latest version, v5.32.1

A few weeks back, I was running Windows Defender and MalwareBytes (paid, latest version).  Strawberry Perl lost the ability to execute system commands.  Either through “qx” or backticks or “open with pipe”, any attempt to execute any system command with Strawberry Perl would just silently fail.  With Cygwin64 Perl, the exact same code would work.    After trying many different things, I uninstalled MalwareBytes (just leaving Windows Defender) and the problem went away.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I decided to install Eset Internet Security, and the problem with Strawberry Perl has resurfaced.  No warnings, no errors, just a silent fail.  And Cygwin64 Perl will still execute the exact same code with no problem.  I tried disabling Eset, which didn’t help.  To be more precise, I disabled “Real-time file system protection”.  I have not yet tried disabling “HIPS”.

Any ideas or suggestions?

• Administrators

Does temporarily disabling HIPS and rebooting the machine make a difference? If so, I'd recommend to carry on as follows:

1. Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  2. Reproduce the issue
  3. Stop logging
  4. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here. Create also a support ticket with your local ESET distributor so that the case is properly tracked.

• Administrators

I'd recommend opening a support ticket then since it will be necessary either to reproduce the issue at ESET or at least narrow it down, e.g. by renaming ESET drivers and / or kernel*.dlls, one by one.

I found a thread on Github pertaining to this:

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/19826

It appears this may be more related to recent versions of WIndows than to Eset or MalwareBytes.  I was able to get my perl script working again  by changing:

@lines=qx(fsutil reparsepoint query $fn);

to 

@lines=qx(c:\\windows\\system32\\fsutil reparsepoint query $fn);

The first example above worked fine, and then it didn't work.  "C:\Windows\System32" is most definitely in the path.  It still works under Cygwin64 perl, but not under Strawberry.  Go figure.