Microsoft Defender service keeps running on Windows 11 22H2

• Most Valued Members
25 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

Yes I see ESET staff ask to do that , it is because the regular update is thought to be causing an problem with 'X'

What eset developers do is revert back their changes or fix the possible bug in a Pre-Release update, and then they ask the affected user to go to Pre-Release so he could get the changes that the developers has done , and they would see if that fixed the issue for the user , after that they can confirm that the bug fix really work in Pre-Release , they can send it to Normal-Release then.

Details

Pre-release updates are updates that have been thoroughly tested and will be released soon. Enabling pre-release updates gives access to the most recent detection methods and fixes; however, pre-release updates might not be stable enough at all times, so you should always revert to using normal updates once an issue is resolved.

The confusing thing is as far as I can remember @Marcosand other Eset mods recommend most people to have pre release always enabled but the website says the opposite.

3 minutes ago, peteyt said:

The confusing thing is as far as I can remember @Marcosand other Eset mods recommend most people to have pre release always enabled but the website says the opposite.

That's what I don't understand, because the moderators ask to have activated the pre-launch if the product itself has not been set as default since it's one less problem to solve!

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

That's what I don't understand, because the moderators ask to have activated the pre-launch if the product itself has not been set as default since it's one less problem to solve!

Yeah.

From what I can gather it is the recommended thing but if your using it in a business environment it could cause potential issues.

From what I can remember, eset uses the pre release to fix issues but they need people to use it to see if it works but also if there are any issues. If people don't use it, I gather they could potentially release something stable that could be buggy

7 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Yeah.

From what I can gather it is the recommended thing but if your using it in a business environment it could cause potential issues.

From what I can remember, eset uses the pre release to fix issues but they need people to use it to see if it works but also if there are any issues. If people don't use it, I gather they could potentially release something stable that could be buggy

But eset cannot be dependent on users, it has to test this option, it tests on several virtual machines or provides free antivirus for telemetry to check what is happening with antivirus on users' machines.

After further testing, it seems it's not a bug. Microsoft Defender service stays dormant when third party AV is installed with no CPU or disk usage. After system boot up almost all AV products takes a few minutes to register into Windows Security as the main AV. It seems Microsoft Defender acts as the main AV for those couple of minutes and even updates signatures when it can. When third party AV like ESET is registered into Windows Security, it automatically turns into a suspended state with low amount of ram and no CPU and disk usage.

Maybe it's by design. Malware often tries to disable Microsoft Defender to get past its protection. So maybe Microsoft has made it hard to stop its services. Maybe now the service is designed to never shut off completely and instead becomes dormant when third party products are installed. Even tools like Defender Control can't shut it off for long. The service returns. Looks like that's how it's going to be from now on.

Of course, I could be wrong. This is just my assumption based on my couple of days of experiments.

• Most Valued Members
6 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

But eset cannot be dependent on users, it has to test this option, it tests on several virtual machines or provides free antivirus for telemetry to check what is happening with antivirus on users' machines.

The problem is that they could try on many computers and this is still not enough.

When you consider how many different combinations of software and hardware exist it isn't hard to understand why some issues get missed 

9 minutes ago, peteyt said:

The problem is that they could try on many computers and this is still not enough.

When you consider how many different combinations of software and hardware exist it isn't hard to understand why some issues get missed 

but if ESET reports that it protects more than 400K business customers and 110K protected by eset technology. as it is difficult as it can have a problem that already has a large base, I know it is not bigger than KASPERSKY, but it is already possible to do something about this subject. I think there is a lack of more marketing effort from eset for your product, because every youtube I see always talks about kaspersky with that her product becomes better known, what I want is for ese to be bigger.