Smart Security Not Updating Virus Signatures

• Administrators

@Metalalbert,

me is since the update problem does not Showing up when my license is valid!

Retrieving license information has no correlation to update servers. Please pm me your username so that I can check it out.

I spoke this morning to the UK based ESET customer service. At first I was told that the problem must be with me as up until that time they had heard nothing from other customers about this update problem. After I pointed to these posts in the forum he said to hole while he looked into this. On return I was told that yes there is a problem because of a large update. He also said that it WAS NOT GOOD PRACTICE to enforce an update by keeping pressing the manual update button until it happened. This would just make things worse with the server getting even more busy. After I said that I would not be happy about falling behind with the sugniture files he said that IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE LATEST SIGNITURES. ALL WILL BE WELL and things will get back to normal over the next few days.

I must say that this all seems rather off hand from a top paid for protection company. Just a thought though, in this case could it be that even if the signitures are not up to date, as long as you are online, will the cloud have all the latest protection anyway?

Hello,

the situation is getting better over time, it should get back to normal during the weekend.

In case you are not able to update you may try hitting "update now" button few times, that should help.

I did this. Sometimes you need to hit it few times ( in my case i hit it more than 20 times ).

• ESET Insiders

I am beginning to feel ridiculed by them, because the virus signature update still does not go, now parts Please us finally with when they finally get their number on the update server problem to resolve, because so hard can not be but, Eset's what they always further from the mountain!

Unfortunately this happens every time when there is a very big virus or module update: see this thread.

Most updates are about between 10 and 100 KB, so I think the update servers and bandwith are dimensioned for updates of about 100 KB (maybe a bit more) within the regular 1 hour update interval.

So if there are updates of several MB (in this case over 10 MB) there are not enough servers and bandwith on ESET's side to handle these 10 MB updates within the 1 hour interval for all users and it takes 1 or 2 days before all update requests can be served.

Edited by User

• ESET Insiders

I find it really sad by a company as ESET because only such 0815 server you that ESET has still not heard from load balancing. I can only say, ESET so really imagine you call indictment out!

Well, I can now update with just one click on the manual update button, but automatic updates after my computer has booted up are still a no-go. I also noticed hourly updates do not work, I still have to manually check for updates.

Hopefully this will resolve itself soon.

Edited by metalalbert

My last automatic update was yesterday at 3:55pm, and when I click Update Now it says your signatures are up to date (2 computers)?

This has been a problem for some time, and it's set to check hourly?

What's up?

I guess what's up is that there is still a high load on the update servers, due to the large 30mb update. It will ease up eventually.

The large size of this update (about 30MB as compared to typical updates which are smaller than 1MB) is due to significant product module changes that are being distributed. These updates change the way that ESET processes files on your system, and help to ensure that ESET continues to offer the highest level of security.

The latest database version is VSD 10444. So if that's what you got then you are up to date.

Edit: Yes the product will check for new VSD updates hourly, but VSD's are not released on an hourly basis so the product may not always download a new VSD on each "ping" to the update servers.

Edited by SweX

I guess what's up is that there is still a high load on the update servers, due to the large 30mb update. It will ease up eventually.

The large size of this update (about 30MB as compared to typical updates which are smaller than 1MB) is due to significant product module changes that are being distributed. These updates change the way that ESET processes files on your system, and help to ensure that ESET continues to offer the highest level of security.

The latest database version is VSD 10444. So if that's what you got then you are up to date.

Edit: Yes the product will check for new VSD updates hourly, but VSD's are not released on an hourly basis so the product may not always download a new VSD on each "ping" to the update servers.

My VSD is 20140919, and that was 20hrs ago!

Consumer Reports gave ESS Top Ratings on everything, but Responding to new Threats!

20hrs is ridiculous!

@SweX

Is there a site to view VSD releases ?

Thanks

Hello,

Yes there is two places...

hxxp://www.eset.com/us/threat-center/threatsense-updates/

hxxp://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info/

FYI, it happens that they are not always in sync with each other so one of them may show the previous VSD as the latest before it catch up and both show the same VSD information. 

My VSD is 20140919, and that was 20hrs ago!

Consumer Reports gave ESS Top Ratings on everything, but Responding to new Threats!

20hrs is ridiculous!

You always have Live Grid working for you. Live Grid can detect and block threats before a sig is pushed out to all users via the VSD updates. 

There was 4 VSD releases on 09/19 and the very latest one is VSD 10444.

The very latest is now VSD 10445!

And it was downloaded by one of the automatic hourly checks. So for me it works as usual again.

Edited by SweX

The very latest is now VSD 10445!

And it was downloaded by one of the automatic hourly checks. So for me it works as usual again.

I had to manually update to 10445 (From update links, I see dozens of signatures!)-  1 update in 21hrs is NOT acceptable to me, and I don't like to rely on iffy heuristics to maybe protect me!

It would appear that ESS is slowing their regular updates, because of their big module update!?

Other foreign AV's I've had got servers in the USA to solve slow update issues...

If ESS doesn't come up to speed..., I'll dump them!

I had to manually update to 10445 (From update links, I see dozens of signatures!)-  1 update in 21hrs is NOT acceptable to me, and I don't like to rely on iffy heuristics to maybe protect me!   It would appear that ESS is slowing their regular updates, because of their big module update!? Other foreign AV's I've had got servers in the USA to solve slow update issues... If ESS doesn't come up to speed..., I'll dump them!.

I can assure you that the updates has not slown down. And Live Grid does not work based on some "iffy heuristics".

Yes of course, ESET does have servers in the U.S., the ESET North America HQ is located in San Diego. 

The current update situations is quite "unique" and its not something that happens every year, a bit of patience and everything will go back to business as usual for All users as soon as possible. We are all in the same boat together :)

Edited by SweX

I did manual update and got VSD update (10445) finally.
This is not good.  Users keep clicking "Update now" button and check/make sure Up-to-date protection level.
Interesting thing is that ESET releases only one VSD(10445: Sept 20) today. (usually 3 VSD updates a day in weekend)

Edited by sky7

I just saw that VSD 10446 was available.

So, I wanted to do a manual update this time to see how many times I would need to press the button.

One click on the button was all that was needed and it came down very fast. So it would have updated automatically just fine if I would have waited for the scheduled update check to kick in.

I just saw that VSD 10446 was available.

So, I wanted to do a manual update this time to see how many times I would need to press the button.

One click on the button was all that was needed and it came down very fast. So it would have updated automatically just fine if I would have waited for the scheduled update check to kick in.

That is good to hear. Now I also tested it with EMS and it updated fine.

I just checked if ESET updates automatically when booting up and the answer is no. I again had to manually update.

I don't know what you guys did but that new update screwed up the automatic update for me. It won't update when I boot up my computer, and it will not update during an hourly update if there is a new VSD available.

This used to be much better really. Maybe you should check if that new system actually works properly? Because I find it very annoying I have to click that update button when I see there is a new update available.

I am a very patient man, but this has been going on for days now and all I hear is it should improve over the weekend. Well, it did not.

Edited by metalalbert