Smart Security Not Updating Virus Signatures

Somehow for some reason my Smart Security is not updating the virus signatures database. I am stuck at 10432.

I tried manual updating several times, nothing.

Can somebody tell me if there is something wrong with the update servers, or is experiencing this problem too?

I am using Windows 7 64-bit. Smart Security version 6.0.316.1.

My laptop also does not update. It is stuck at 10435. ESET same version, Windows 8 32-bit.

Can somebody please get back to me on this, so I know for sure what's causing this?

I already was hacked twice quite some time ago and ever since I just want my virus scanner to be up-to-date.

I am running ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus (not Smart Security) version 7.0.317.4. Same issue on two computers running Win7x64 SP1 Ultimate.

The solution -- although not a good one, is to keep hitting the "update now" button in the settings "update tab." I have had to hit the button upwards of 10 times in order to trigger an update (and not get the "you are already up to date" message).

Given that I am also having the issue -- and on two different systems, my guess is that something is timing out at ESET's update server end. The fact that I occasionally get through manually, provides some anecdotal evidence of that. Hopefully it will be corrected soon.

When booting up this morning, I believe I was on 10434. I was able to get it up to 10437 using the "method" described above. When I noticed just a few minutes ago that the signature was up to 10439, I went through the manual click fest again, and both computers are now up to date. Of course, having to watch hxxp://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info is not a good solution. ;-)

To ESET folks out there: Yes, on one system, I cleared the update cache. That did *not* resolve the issue. The only thing that works is repeatedly hitting "update now" until the connection takes.

Edited by howardagoldberg

• Former ESET Employees

Please refer to this thread: https://forum.eset.com/topic/3259-nod32-not-updating-signature-database/

Per Marcos:

Update servers may be temporarily overloaded due to a larger update that has been released. You can attempt to update ESET manually or simply wait until it updates automatically.

Please refer to this thread: https://forum.eset.com/topic/3259-nod32-not-updating-signature-database/

Per Marcos:

Update servers may be temporarily overloaded due to a larger update that has been released. You can attempt to update ESET manually or simply wait until it updates automatically.

What larger update? Sorry, but this has been going on for at least 10 hours now. If I had not noticed the issue, my signatures would have been way out of date. Can we have a more detailed explanation?

Yes, the same here in the UK today. After many tries have now done a manual update from 10435 to 10439 the latest signature file.Let us hope that by tomorrow this will be sorted.

• ESET Insiders

In Berlin in me the same problem, the last signature update I got yesterday at 23.45 clock namely v10434, since I get all day not a single update and also the validity of the license by when it will Expires today since not more Showing what's the matter with them? When updating the signatures is the finally?

• Administrators

In Berlin in me the same problem, the last signature update I got yesterday at 23.45 clock namely v10434, since I get all day not a single update and also the validity of the license by when it will Expires today since not more Showing what's the matter with them? When updating the signatures is the finally?

If you're unable to update, it means that the update servers are still busy due to the large update released earlier today. The traffic is still above 3 GB/s so you may not be able to update on the first attempt.

• Administrators

And why is my license since Showing no longer the maturity?

Retrieving license information shouldn't be affected by the large update as it's provided by different servers. Please pm me your username so that I can test it myself.

• Administrators

What are changes or updates in larger files download? Any info to share? Thanks

The reason was an internal reorganization of the engine which should result in slightly smaller updates, memory consumption and slightly increased performance.

As of 6:00 a.m. Eastern time (U.S.), the issue remains. On all my Windows systems running NOD32 (Anti-Virus) ... had to click manually "update now" about a dozen times. Auto update still not "working." When can we expect the issue to resolve to I can stop checking for updates every 2 hours?

• ESET Insiders

It is always spoken of a major update, but they mean not the ridiculous 11 MB, if they already have problems with such a ridiculous size, because so slowly Makes me wonder nothing more! When did the problem finally under control? For the last 2 days I now pay for already a power which they do not provide it and not to mention, you have no fresh signature updates also not the best most possible protection, for which I also Pay! When I tell them these are also affected by the license information, then they can send me the faith, but I like to send my license data, you can send but not until tonight around 19 clock when I get home from work!

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

the situation is getting better over time, it should get back to normal during the weekend.

In case you are not able to update you may try hitting "update now" button few times, that should help.

The situation is not getting better from this user's perspective. 10:30 a.m. (East coast, U.S.), and the issue remains. Would someone please explain what kind of update is causing this? For security software (which I mostly love), it is not acceptable that the user should need to remember to manually update 4-6 times a day. I think we are in need of a bit more information as to why this happened.

Edited by howardagoldberg

Hello,

the situation is getting better over time, it should get back to normal during the weekend.

In case you are not able to update you may try hitting "update now" button few times, that should help.

Thanks Peter-question, I received a Undocumented Serious Error 0x1106 when trying to update-so I followed KB Solution ID: SOLN537- (1) cleared my cache and (2) clicked the HTTP Proxy tab, select Do not use proxy server and then click OK. Rebooted and finally was able to update. My question is was step 2 (no proxy server) necessary? :unsure: