Run task at first connection?

Hello All,

Me and my team have a very specific use-case we need to accomplish, and after the initial progress we've made we ran out of ideas and I wanted to check whether we are missing something obvious, or if this is not possible at all.

We have a third party application that we are deploying via ESET Protect. We need to deploy this application to systems that become managed, but not to run it against systems which already have it (newly managed systems won't have it for sure). So we managed to create a dynamic group which filters devices that don't have the application installed and then we assigned the task using the 'Joined dynamic group' trigger and this works like a charm. The problem we have is with our Linux devices. Since you don't have software inventory for Linux systems this whole automation is not working. We know that we can't achieve it this way, but is there a way to configure some sort of task based on system's first connection? It is possible to create an automatic notification and report for newly connected systems, however the filter is not there for dynamic group templates, therefore we cannot translate it to automation. Can you think of a way this can be achieved?

Apologies for the long post, and thank you.

• ESET Staff
On 5/18/2022 at 4:58 PM, Ufoto said:

Hello All,

Me and my team have a very specific use-case we need to accomplish, and after the initial progress we've made we ran out of ideas and I wanted to check whether we are missing something obvious, or if this is not possible at all.

We have a third party application that we are deploying via ESET Protect. We need to deploy this application to systems that become managed, but not to run it against systems which already have it (newly managed systems won't have it for sure). So we managed to create a dynamic group which filters devices that don't have the application installed and then we assigned the task using the 'Joined dynamic group' trigger and this works like a charm. The problem we have is with our Linux devices. Since you don't have software inventory for Linux systems this whole automation is not working. We know that we can't achieve it this way, but is there a way to configure some sort of task based on system's first connection? It is possible to create an automatic notification and report for newly connected systems, however the filter is not there for dynamic group templates, therefore we cannot translate it to automation. Can you think of a way this can be achieved?

Apologies for the long post, and thank you.

Maybe not helpful in this case, but when you create ASAP task on some parent/All group, and configure it in a way it has no expiration, it should executed this task only once, when such device is created in this group - so technically it should cover this case. It won't omit devices where this application is already installed in a moment of first connection to console, but my understanding is that it is acceptable for those systems.