Why is there no dark mode in ESET for desktop?

Hello everyone, until today I don't know why ESET doesn't provide a dark mode for Eset for computer, almost all companies have already made their antivirus, ESET is the only one that doesn't have it, I've looked here on the forum and there are a lot of requests about that, it's time to look carefully at the users' request.

Could you please answer us if one day we will see a dark mode in ESET, Marcos?

• Administrators

The GUI of antivirus program is not as important as the detection and protection capabilities under the hood. Normally one should not notice antivirus running unless a threat is detected or an action must be selected by the user. Nevertheless, it's possible that dark mode will be supported in future versions of ESET desktop products.

8 hours ago, mariihnves said:

Hello everyone, until today I don't know why ESET doesn't provide a dark mode for Eset for computer, almost all companies have already made their antivirus, ESET is the only one that doesn't have it, I've looked here on the forum and there are a lot of requests about that, it's time to look carefully at the users' request.

Could you please answer us if one day we will see a dark mode in ESET, Marcos?

I've been waiting for years, about the dark mode for the eset. As you said, most companies already have dark mode in their security products. What we have to answer is without the same thing that an antivirus does not need to be used directly, the user should not notice the antivirus etc...
But they forgot that there are many people who spend time configuring the antivirus on clients' computers, especially the pc technicians who are supporting the clients. should look more into this. It would be much easier and more satisfying for the customers you have today.

I'm another one who wants dark mode in ESET's consumer products.

7 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

But they forgot that there are many people who spend time configuring the antivirus on clients' computers, especially the pc technicians who are supporting the clients. should look more into this. It would be much easier and more satisfying for the customers you have today.

There may be many people that do that but the percentage for that figure is going to be tiny in comparison to regular users that install once and then never look at the GUI again. It's understandable why they haven't allocated any resources to it. But PC techs will be happy that the GUI remains fairly consistent year on year. Unlike other software companies that insist on changing their GUI every year to make it look like there have been improvements. 

IMO: It would be good if the notifications can be tweaked - preferably with a font size that is a bit larger and have a solid white style notification without the transparency thingy. 

I'm also always opening and looking at the program's settings, some people don't, but I and a lot like to open the interface almost every day, adding a dark mode would please both sides, the ones that don't mess and the ones that open the program, it's a simple thing, put the button, who likes the dark mode just select it, who doesn't like it, leave it as is. 😉

10 hours ago, Marcos said:

The GUI of antivirus program is not as important as the detection and protection capabilities under the hood. Normally one should not notice antivirus running unless a threat is detected or an action must be selected by the user. Nevertheless, it's possible that dark mode will be supported in future versions of ESET desktop products.

Great to hear that, Marcos! We will be waiting for the long-awaited dark mode, thank you very much for your attention.

Edited by mariihnves

3 hours ago, mariihnves said:

Great to hear that, Marcos! We will be waiting for the long-awaited dark mode, thank you very much for your attention.

The staff clamor for a button to activate the dark mode, those who don't want it don't click on the button.

4 hours ago, mariihnves said:

I'm sure Marcos and the whole team are looking at this with affection and will soon give us good news 🥰

My friend I don't think so. because there are comments and requests on the forum, about the dark mode that so far has not been done, look that they are requests from years ago and so far it has not been done.

• Most Valued Members
On 5/12/2022 at 2:45 PM, TheStill said:

There may be many people that do that but the percentage for that figure is going to be tiny in comparison to regular users that install once and then never look at the GUI again. It's understandable why they haven't allocated any resources to it. But PC techs will be happy that the GUI remains fairly consistent year on year. Unlike other software companies that insist on changing their GUI every year to make it look like there have been improvements. 

Yeah with a previous AV I used before Eset I noticed each year that things got changed each yeah, and not just with AVs but programs in general. Sometimes one or new extras came but it often seemed the change in the UI was to trick people into thinking there was a lot of changes.

As someone who has just moved into a basic IT job that involves basic assistance changes do tend to confuse new users. I'd never say no to changes but I do also appreciate that Esets UI has been pretty consistent for a while.

As for the dark mode and general UI changes, if Eset can do changes then great but I'd rather it focused on protection over UI tweaks. There's features such as wildcards for HIPS, ransomware folder and roll back protection etc. That other AVs offer that many would like to see and I'd rather this took preference over design choices 

Interesting that the question of the resources and the reasonableness of their use is so often mentioned here. But guys, Eset is one of the largest anti-virus companies in the world (I believe it's in the top 5, if you don't take into account the Chinese and Indian markets), which invests huge money in various projects, such as the innovative IT complex in Bratislava. But when we talk about resources, the feeling is that Eset is a company of the level of my not less respected, but really small companies from Finland and New Zealand (I will not mention the names here). 

I've also been waiting for dark mode for a very long time. I really like to add new blocked hosts to the web filter, using the antivirus as a simple ad blocker and tracker, as well as manage the firewall and exceptions. 

5 hours ago, peteyt said:

Yeah with a previous AV I used before Eset I noticed each year that things got changed each yeah, and not just with AVs but programs in general. Sometimes one or new extras came but it often seemed the change in the UI was to trick people into thinking there was a lot of changes.

As someone who has just moved into a basic IT job that involves basic assistance changes do tend to confuse new users. I'd never say no to changes but I do also appreciate that Esets UI has been pretty consistent for a while.

As for the dark mode and general UI changes, if Eset can do changes then great but I'd rather it focused on protection over UI tweaks. There's features such as wildcards for HIPS, ransomware folder and roll back protection etc. That other AVs offer that many would like to see and I'd rather this took preference over design choices 

About changing the GUI to dark mode would be great but ESET hasn't changed ten from version 9x that's been over 10 years. It's time for an improvement.
As for improvements like wildcards for HIPS and ransomware folder and rollback protection etc. that other AVs offer it would be perfect if ESET had implemented these things that are already basic that most AVs have had for many years.

5 hours ago, Twersky said:

Interesting that the question of the resources and the reasonableness of their use is so often mentioned here. But guys, Eset is one of the largest anti-virus companies in the world (I believe it's in the top 5, if you don't take into account the Chinese and Indian markets), which invests huge money in various projects, such as the innovative IT complex in Bratislava. But when we talk about resources, the feeling is that Eset is a company of the level of my not less respected, but really small companies from Finland and New Zealand (I will not mention the names here). 

I've also been waiting for dark mode for a very long time. I really like to add new blocked hosts to the web filter, using the antivirus as a simple ad blocker and tracker, as well as manage the firewall and exceptions. 

We really know that ESET is among the top 5 security companies. Look, the Chinese market won't take long to get a big share of this digital security market. Look, the Chinese market has the most beautiful software in relation to the graphical interface, everything they do has a very pleasant appearance for end users.

• Most Valued Members
27 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

As for improvements like wildcards for HIPS and ransomware folder and rollback protection etc. that other AVs offer it would be perfect if ESET had implemented these things that are already basic that most AVs have had for many years.

This is exactly my point.

If people class these missing features as basic, to me surely that should be the priority.

If eset does decide to tweak the UI then great but when the next major version is released I'd be more happy to see newer security features and improved security features over the UI.

I use Firewall in automatic mode but used to use it in manual. One of my biggest criticisms UI wise is the Firewall rules editor is not that UI friendly. You can't simply see the names e.g program 1 as it adds text to the start and unlike years ago there's not a logo icon to go with the names. As the Firewall works with an order system I.e higher rules take precedence so you can't actually arrange them by name.

As much as I dislike the above method and hope one day to see it changed, I'd rather see improvements on actual security features.