Game mode also for other "heavy" processes.

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hi, I wanted to ask if the player mode in NOD32 is also activated for other full screen applications that are not games, but which still require a lot of resources, or even for simple documents opened in reading mode that consume a maximum of 50MB of RAM.

Would it also be possible to activate the game mode even for specific processes even if they are not in full screen without using the GUI? I wish I could activate game mode every time I launch Fusion 360 or Photoshop, but it's terrible to do this manually by opening and navigating the GUI.

You can enable or disable Gamer mode in the main program window under Setup > Computer protection by clicking MODULE_INACTIVE or MODULE_ENABLED next to Gamer mode. Enabling Gamer mode is a potential security risk, so the protection status icon in the taskbar will turn orange and display a warning. You will also see this warning in the main program window where you will see Gamer mode active in orange.

Activate Enable Gamer mode when running applications in full-screen mode automatically under Advanced setup (F5) > Tools > Gamer mode to have Gamer mode start whenever you initiate a full-screen application and stop after you exit the application.

https://help.eset.com/essp/15/en-US/idh_config_gamer.html

As far as the above auto activation of Gamer mode feature, ensure the highlighted setting is enabled in the below Screen shot:

Eset_Game.thumb.png.69c8b228ea5aac415530c88036d54539.png

Yes, the option you indicated is always active, but is it valid for any full-screen application or just video games? I don't use video games, but other equally demanding full screen applications.

27 minutes ago, boromyr said:

Yes, the option you indicated is always active, but is it valid for any full-screen application or just video games? I don't use video games, but other equally demanding full screen applications.

Re-read the Eset on-line help excerpt I previously posted. 

• Administrators

By default, Gamer mode is activated automatically when an application running in full-screen mode is detected (game, presentation software, etc.).

Basically you should not see any difference with or without gamer mode unless you run custom scheduled scans which are suspended while in Gamer mode. Gamer mode suspends also updates, however, since we release updates in an approximately 4-hour interval during work days and they normally take only a while even with the subsequent startup scan run with low priority, it shouldn't cause much disruption even when running a CPU-intensive application 24x7.

Thanks so much for the explanation. Regarding non-full screen applications, isn't there a way to automatically activate it for some specific processes, whether they are in full screen or in window (without using the gui)? Maybe a command line parameter that I can insert in my scripts, like: "egui.exe -gamermodeon";  "egui.exe -gamermodeoff"

18 hours ago, boromyr said:

Thanks so much for the explanation. Regarding non-full screen applications, isn't there a way to automatically activate it for some specific processes, whether they are in full screen or in window (without using the gui)? Maybe a command line parameter that I can insert in my scripts, like: "egui.exe -gamermodeon";  "egui.exe -gamermodeoff"

50MB is a very small amount of ram that should be causing no issues for your computer. I think your situation could be greatly improved by making some small changes to your computer. Adding some more ram and an SSD will greatly improve the performance of your computer in comparison to ESET's gamer mode.