Installation error MSI 1401

PeterTO
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I am installing eset internet security and get msi.1401 error which says there was an error to install eset and recommends troubleshooter which does not resolve the issue msi.1401 error.

This is win 10 pro fresh install and I already tried these:

- run as admin
- disable zone alarm firewall
- disable AV
- activate windows to have permission to all folders
- Hkey sys6432 node has full permission for admin so no clue

restarted after each of those. I did get the eset log collector done in a zip file attached hope that helps. Thank you all in advance for all of your help with this. 

ELC_logs.zip

• Administrators
  • Solution

Please try the following:

1, Run the ESET Uninstall tool and make sure that ESET is not detected.
2, Try uninstalling ZoneAlarm in case it is preventing the installer from writing to the registry.

Thank you Marcos for your reply. I will try it in the next 24hrs. Also, very important... Is there an offline version of eset Internet Security I can install when offline without internet? Thanks

Edited by PeterTO

• Administrators

No, ESET products for home users require Internet connection to activate and update. Only business products can be activated and updated offline.

Excellent. Thank you Marcos. I have used the uninstaller tools which of course only listed an option to purge eset security leftovers which I selected and completed no issues there. Then removed ZA and turned windows firewall on just in case prior to reinstalling ESET which completed the process successfully on its own, self updated and it is all good.

One last question before this topic is closed. When using the uninstaller, eset listed my OS as Win 10 pro x64AMD 😐 I have Intel 11  x64 processor. I think win 10 pro usb installation was automatic I didn't select which architecture to apply for the OS installation. Have I possibly done something wrong during OS install? any thoughts? Thanks again.