Latest update broke my trading software

After the 5/2 ESET update, my trading software, which I have used for several years cannot run properly. I can launch it. But after that, it will just disappear in 2 or 3 seconds. There is 1000 error in event viewer. Seems ESET is blocking something. Adding exclusive does not help.

I tried several times with different software version and different windows system. Once install latest ESET, the software cannot run.

• Administrators

Does temporarily pausing protection make a difference? If not, what about disabling protocol filtering or HIPS followed by a reboot?

Pausing protection does not help. Disable HIPS and reboot still cannot run my trading software. Any other way I could try?

• Administrators

Does the issue go away after uninstalling ESET and returns immediately after installing ESET from scratch with default settings?

My software was installed and used for a long time with no issue. And I installed ESET on Wednesday and issue appeared.

• Administrators

Could you please try it to make sure it's reproducible every time you install ESET?

• Administrators

Did you try it yesterday or today last time? ESET doesn't touch any existing files during installation. On May 5th we released Internet protection module 1440.1 which addressed an issue with displaying GPU in the task manager so I'd suggest trying it now if you haven't done so in case this issue affected also the software in question,

I tried on Wednesday and today. I think either it changed something in system or something when I tried to run the software. I can launch but cannot stay running. The software is a c++ software. I believe it should use some windows setting or access some files.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:07 PM, cyc12077 said:

There is 1000 error in event viewer.

Post a screen shot of the Event log entry.

Exception code: 0xc0000005 is a Win memory access violation.

One possibility if this was Eset related is Eset is improperly inserting one of its .dll monitoring processes into Omnibus2019.exe. However, uninstalling Eset should have eliminated this issue.

Edited by itman

Following is reply from Microsoft about 0xc0000005 code:

Application Error 0xc0000005 (Access Violation) error is usually caused by your computer not being able to correctly process the files and settings required to run a particular program or installation. Despite the error showing when you try and use particular pieces of software, it has many different causes including faulty RAM problems, errors with the files of your PC and issues with the settings of your PC.

I think ESET should have modified some system files that my software relies on. But I do not know where to look into.

If I totally reset my laptop system to factory setting, then install my software, it works fine.

After installing ESET, issue occurs.

Reinstall my software with different versions or uninstall ESET, issue still stays.

• Administrators

Please provide ELC logs from time when ESET is installed and the issue occurs.

Is it possible to get a trial version of the software to reproduce the issue on our end?

I installed Visual Studio 2019 this morning for my other works. But after installing it, my software works.

Could it be that ESET modified or blocked some .NET file or old dll in the system? 

How could I submit my software installation exe?

essp_logs.zip

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, cyc12077 said:

I installed Visual Studio 2019 this morning for my other works. But after installing it, my software works.

Could it be that ESET modified or blocked some .NET file or old dll in the system? 

How could I submit my software installation exe?

You have the latest version of the Internet protection module 1440.1 installed so we can rule the recent issue causing GPU to disappear from the Task manager Performance tab. We'll need to duplicate the issue for further diagnostics.

You have a trial version of ESET Smart Security Premium installed. Could you try installing a trial version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus on a machine where the software currently works and let us know if the issue manifests immediately after installation?

• Administrators

Should it be enough to run the application to duplicate the crash or is it necessary to do something? I can run it without issues no matter if install the app first and then ESET or vice-versa:

image.png

For me, just run it, without doing anything else, it will disappear in a few sec. And during that few seconds, it cannot input login/pwd or press any buttons.