Jump to content

Installation of Eset Endpoint Antivirus on Ubuntu 22.04


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

A new version of Endpoint with support for Ubuntu 22.04 is scheduled for the next week.

Can you be more specific as to day and is a changelog available for business customers to review?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 12:17 PM, Marcos said:

A new version of Endpoint with support for Ubuntu 22.04 is scheduled for the next week.

Thanks. Better late than never I suppose. 😒

On 10/28/2022 at 12:47 PM, Marcos said:

The release of new versions is announced here: https://www.eset.com/int/about/newsroom/ as well as via other channels, such as this forum, ESET FB page, etc.

 

On 10/28/2022 at 1:40 PM, TomasP said:

The current version's announcement was posted here when it was released:

https://forum.eset.com/topic/31738-eset-endpoint-antivirus-for-linux-version-9050-has-been-released/

 

Both of you have completely missed the point. 🤦‍♂️

Let me try to explain this to you once more as clearly as I possibly can.

Businesses are looking for products and services, which are as reliable as possible, to use in their business environment.

Being reliable not only means, in the case of software, that it runs stably and functions correctly, and that it is well documented, but also that the company developing the software is proactive with informing the customers about such things as critical updates and bug-fixes, as well as when to expect the next releases (release schedule) - especially when concerning major releases. Why is this latter information important?

Because businesses with 100s or 1000s of licences will need to plan ahead for roll-outs, and when Apple, Microsoft, Canonical, etc ... announce months in advance that they have a new OS being released, a businesses IT team will begin to discuss the strategy for migrating to the new OS, and then the question will immediately arise "What is our Endpoint provider doing about the new OS?". 

In the case of ESET and Ubuntu 22.04 the proactive communication to your business customers was, as far as I know, totally non-existent. In plain words, you guys are just sitting on your proverbial communicative hands with the attitude of "Well, if any of our customers are interested enough, they can spend their time searching online until they either eventually stumble across a forum thread that deals with this matter or have to create a new forum thread themselves. We just cannot be bothered to spend a mere 5 minutes of our time writing an official communication regarding the matter." It comes across as incredibly unprofessional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to it.

While this release might be "late" relative to the Ubuntu 22.04 release, I like how you guys keep us informed and actually announce  a changed release date before the current target date is passed - unlike some companies...

Keep up the good work 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MaliSkovik said:

Looking forward to it.

While this release might be "late" relative to the Ubuntu 22.04 release, I like how you guys keep us informed and actually announce  a changed release date before the current target date is passed - unlike some companies...

Keep up the good work 👍

I think you are missing the point here mate. 
No one from ESET made any attempt to mention any release of a new version or that there has been any changes that might affect the current version. 
Instead all of us here, had to dig through the net to try and debug the ESET R&D Team error messages and figure out what's wrong with installations on 22.04. 

This is a really bad (not the worst, unfortunately I've seen worse) customer service of how to share information and help your customers prepare ahead of time. 

On that note, the error messages can be so unclear and the lack of information on errors that could occur to anyone on the range of ESET business products. really must have me, a client have to dig through a forum where the answers are given on separate threads that would require extensive digging and waste of time on my end. 
Not to mention some errors are just generic errors I actually find answer to on the web instead of ESET. 
Only shows how the support segment of ESET is disorganized, and is left for the community to help one another.  
I will add the staff can be helpful sometimes. However, I expect some better ways to make the common errors or at the very least, a list of these error codes to be published somewhere. 
After all these were made by R&D for them to make it clear to understand what the error is, so make a list of what it means and attach it to some ESET KB. <- you can have this idea for free, this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with avielc and eab's well presented rational comments.

Eset has no idea how businesses function and they fail to comprehend our needs.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MaliSkovik said:

Looking forward to it.

While this release might be "late" relative to the Ubuntu 22.04 release, I like how you guys keep us informed and actually announce  a changed release date before the current target date is passed - unlike some companies...

Keep up the good work 👍

😂😂 Do you work for ESET? LOL!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, eab said:

By the way everyone ... it's been released!!

https://www.eset.com/int/business/download/endpoint-antivirus-linux/

Screenshot from 2022-11-02 14-37-09.png

@Marcos @TomasP @JamesR @Peter Randziak
So, should I say, here is an example where we asked for an update and didn't get it? 
Do we really have to find out by ourselves it is out? (Seen it half an hour ago on the Console by accidentally checking it) 
This is really REALLY bad reputation for ESET. Is there anyone we can escalate this to? 

 

Also, @eab - I suggest doing small batch tests first, I get skeptical with every new version lately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, avielc said:

@Marcos @TomasP @JamesR @Peter Randziak
So, should I say, here is an example where we asked for an update and didn't get it? 
Do we really have to find out by ourselves it is out? (Seen it half an hour ago on the Console by accidentally checking it) 
This is really REALLY bad reputation for ESET. Is there anyone we can escalate this to? 

 

Also, @eab - I suggest doing small batch tests first, I get skeptical with every new version lately.

Had I not been following this topic then I would not have been aware of this upgrade.

Eset should be pushing out this upgrade information to business customers. Customers using this product will have registered and as part of the registration process, a customer provides an e-mail address.

Other software companies advise registered users that an upgrade is available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Mate, what do you mean 'already'? I informed the users in this thread 20 minutes before you made your announcement thread. 

I agree 100% with @avielc in that business customers should not be expected to have to go out of their way to be informed of software release updates etc ... Our Email address is already registered with ESET, so please use it for something other than telling us when our license renewals are due. 😜

Screenshot from 2022-11-02 17-57-00.png

Screenshot from 2022-11-02 17-57-42.png

Edited by eab
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

One of the posts with offensive tone was removed. Using capitals and bold font is generally considered shouting at one, especially when used with exclamation marks.

To sum it up:

1, This is a forum where advanced users and ESET staff and moderators share their knowledge with users. The forum is not a substitution for creating a support ticket when reporting issues if one wants to ensure timely response without losing the track, especially if further troubleshooting and logs are needed. Since tracking is not possible in forums, we cannot promise replying in particular topics if a specific event occurs (e.g. when a new product version is released).

2, This forum is not an official announcement channel. We post announcements here with a certain delay which is not typically longer that a few hours.

3, ESET does not mass mail new release announcements. All announcements are typically past release. Those who want to be informed about new releases can subscribe to the support news RSS feed https://support-feed.eset.com/news/. News may be added there with a delay of 1-2 days., The feed is also displayed for administrators in the ESET PROTECT web console dashboard:

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for explaining Marcos on why my post was removed. 
I understand your relation to capital letters and exclamation marks,. 
Please understand that most of those mentions were not directed personally to you, but to the procedure ESET descides to present itself in this forum.  - which as you might understand can be frustrating to receive as a customer. (an advanced user of ESET is still a customer)

I would only be brief to say, some of these capitalized words and exclamation points were directed to you, even though they were a little out of line  (My apologies for that.) 
Your behaviour in this thread as an official employee of ESET and someone who holds the responsibility of an Administrator and staff of this forum. was disrespectful, filled with excuses, and completely not what I would expect from customer service (especially when I come from this line of work.

Own to your responsibility please. If you decided to answer my question 6 days ago, and I made a follow up requesting your help with dropping a message in the thread (because you can't follow the entire section for version release notes) 

Either tell me you are not doing that, or you are. sorry to say mate, but if you are responding to me, you should give the decensy to respect a customer and a user in this community and reply that you will, or not. 
and if you don't reply, I take it as a confirmation. 

 

one last thing, what's this note above my post? a punishment? I don't recall seeing it before.image.png.d019085ccb52a0a421b02ba5d65e6ba2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ESET Moderators
9 hours ago, avielc said:

one last thing, what's this note above my post? a punishment? I don't recall seeing it before.image.png.d019085ccb52a0a421b02ba5d65e6ba2.png

Hello, that is not something related to your account, but to this thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In case someone is interested, I just tested the new version with Linux Mint 21 (based on Ubuntu 22.04) and so far its working perfectly (despite the fact that the release notes saying that only Linux Mint 20 is supported). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TomasP said:

Hello, that is not something related to your account, but to this thread.

From my point of view. it seems to have been lifted off (this is a new screenshot for this message)

image.thumb.png.c3ffdba7bc0048db2dc893f7458f4b56.png,u

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Marcos said:

One of the posts with offensive tone was removed. Using capitals and bold font is generally considered shouting at one, especially when used with exclamation marks.

To sum it up:

1, This is a forum where advanced users and ESET staff and moderators share their knowledge with users. The forum is not a substitution for creating a support ticket when reporting issues if one wants to ensure timely response without losing the track, especially if further troubleshooting and logs are needed. Since tracking is not possible in forums, we cannot promise replying in particular topics if a specific event occurs (e.g. when a new product version is released).

2, This forum is not an official announcement channel. We post announcements here with a certain delay which is not typically longer that a few hours.

3, ESET does not mass mail new release announcements. All announcements are typically past release. Those who want to be informed about new releases can subscribe to the support news RSS feed https://support-feed.eset.com/news/. News may be added there with a delay of 1-2 days., The feed is also displayed for administrators in the ESET PROTECT web console dashboard:

image.png

With all due respect, while this forum may not take the place of 'creating a support ticket', it is generally understood that the official forum board of a company is there to provide official feedback to customers for things which do not require individual support tickets to be created - for example when it's obvious that the issue is not due to a specific case, but is something which multiple customers are dealing with - such was the case with this particular issue.

As for the official announcements feed which you linked to (https://support-feed.eset.com/news/) - it has been noted previously that there has been zero pro-active communication through any means or method which has informed the business customers about anything whatsoever related to Ubuntu 22.04 + ESET Endpoint.

In fact, as I am writing this I find that the last post on that support feed pertaining to ESET Endpoint for Linux seems to have been on May 2nd 2019. 👀  Additionally, there seems to have still been no post regarding the release of Endpoint for Ubuntu 22.04 - same for the information displayed in my ESET PROTECT web console dashboard. 👀👀

So, again, there is in fact a real problem here with a lack of pro-active, timely, and professional communication, and this should be taken seriously instead of ignored or excused away. Take it or leave it. Up to you.

Screenshot from 2022-11-03 13-10-55.png

Screenshot from 2022-11-03 13-11-31.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eab said:

With all due respect, while this forum may not take the place of 'creating a support ticket', it is generally understood that the official forum board of a company is there to provide official feedback to customers for things which do not require individual support tickets to be created - for example when it's obvious that the issue is not due to a specific case, but is something which multiple customers are dealing with - such was the case with this particular issue.

As for the official announcements feed which you linked to (https://support-feed.eset.com/news/) - it has been noted previously that there has been zero pro-active communication through any means or method which has informed the business customers about anything whatsoever related to Ubuntu 22.04 + ESET Endpoint.

In fact, as I am writing this I find that the last post on that support feed pertaining to ESET Endpoint for Linux seems to have been on May 2nd 2019. 👀  Additionally, there seems to have still been no post regarding the release of Endpoint for Ubuntu 22.04 - same for the information displayed in my ESET PROTECT web console dashboard. 👀👀

So, again, there is in fact a real problem here with a lack of pro-active, timely, and professional communication, and this should be taken seriously instead of ignored or excused away. Take it or leave it. Up to you.

Screenshot from 2022-11-03 13-10-55.png

Screenshot from 2022-11-03 13-11-31.png

There are some sections of the forum that are particular to releases, such as the one this is listed in which may have some great info, but the best thing to look at is official help guides IMO. I recommend checking the help.eset.com page for up-to-date info regarding support since the ones listed are official. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is supported on the latest version of 9.1.x Found here

image.png.4e3eef56510a9730c15827f1a31c368e.png

You can additionally subscribe to the ESET Newsletter for the following updates (View here):

  • New product features
  • Bugfixes
  • Known issues
  • Support resources for existing users
     
Edited by Wyatt P
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Wyatt P said:

There are some sections of the forum that are particular to releases, such as the one this is listed in which may have some great info, but the best thing to look at is official help guides IMO. I recommend checking the help.eset.com page for up-to-date info regarding support since the ones listed are official. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is supported on the latest version of 9.1.x Found here

image.png.4e3eef56510a9730c15827f1a31c368e.png

You can additionally subscribe to the ESET Newsletter for the following updates (View here):

  • New product features
  • Bugfixes
  • Known issues
  • Support resources for existing users
     

You're giving another good example of a site that needs to be searched on a timely basis in order to find any updates (which means we, the customers, need to keep track of version changes to find out what's the latest&greatest, and guess when it was released (doesn't say on that page anywhere, so I need to go to another location to find when it was released) 

Bottom line, your help here, is great if I want to be the proactive one for ESET. 
Which I don't, I'm a business customer, not an employee, or retailer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, avielc said:

You're giving another good example of a site that needs to be searched on a timely basis in order to find any updates (which means we, the customers, need to keep track of version changes to find out what's the latest&greatest, and guess when it was released (doesn't say on that page anywhere, so I need to go to another location to find when it was released) 

Bottom line, your help here, is great if I want to be the proactive one for ESET. 
Which I don't, I'm a business customer, not an employee, or retailer.  

I think it is fair to say that most customers whether they are business or consumer have a responsibility of their own to research to a certain extent. it won't always just fall into your lap. Just curious on what the expectation from your position is on how this information should be routed? Email every customer on product updates/releases by default? At a certain point, due diligence is required IMO. I see the same standard across any other AV or software company, it requires you to search up the release notes or updates. IMO I am able to find everything that I need regarding updates/releases/support pretty easily, yeah it may take me looking in a few places but in reality it isn't something that consumes more than a few minutes of time, let alone hours. You can always contact your local ESET support team, it may not require a ticket or anything major, but a simple question of 'Is this supported?' or 'When was this released?'. 

I surely would not want to receive any email/contact without my consent. So ESET gives you the option to sign up for newsletter emails. 

 

EDIT: ESET Business customers also receive auto-updates for the products, so as long as you do your due diligence to enable this and ensure machines meet the requirements.

Edited by Wyatt P
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Wyatt P said:

I think it is fair to say that most customers whether they are business or consumer have a responsibility of their own to research to a certain extent. it won't always just fall into your lap. Just curious on what the expectation from your position is on how this information should be routed? Email every customer on product updates/releases by default? At a certain point, due diligence is required IMO. I see the same standard across any other AV or software company, it requires you to search up the release notes or updates. IMO I am able to find everything that I need regarding updates/releases/support pretty easily, yeah it may take me looking in a few places but in reality it isn't something that consumes more than a few minutes of time, let alone hours. You can always contact your local ESET support team, it may not require a ticket or anything major, but a simple question of 'Is this supported?' or 'When was this released?'. 

I surely would not want to receive any email/contact without my consent. So ESET gives you the option to sign up for newsletter emails. 

 

EDIT: ESET Business customers also receive auto-updates for the products, so as long as you do your due diligence to enable this and ensure machines meet the requirements.

I agree with you on your point there. 
it is my responsibility as a customer and IT Manager, to read through and test a new release to see that it works as intended and doesn't break stuff which might relate to my policies, or other reasons like certain bugs (e.g. EEA7 for macOS - the web access protection policy doesn't work as intended and can't be trusted even at 7.2 - the bug I see is the web filter get's stuck -it creates this internal vpn\proxy connection which fails to connect to itself and makes the entire machine unable to communicate with the internet) 

That said,
I don't see new versions being automatically updated on machines
It's actually a good thing with alternative platforms to Windows (which is stable for the most part) 
Some machines just fail due to all kinds of features, missing packages\libraris (e.g. the topic we are on) 

When it comes to release updates. 
I enjoy the fact that ESET can be automated for my needs to the point where I don't need to have it on my daily schedule while working on other items
(trust me when I say, there are just a "few" other technologies I work with in my organization :) on a daily basis)
So the fact that when it comes to regular updates as well as important ones on this very topic. 
It would be tremendously helpful and very much appreciated to have some form of communication to keep me informed of changes. 

My quickest solution, by the way, for finding out new version, is opening the console, select 1 computer object from every platform (windows, mac,linux) and see if there's anything "outdated" - wayyy faster than opening the forum and scrolling through pinned topics in different places (e.g. endpoint and remote administrator areas)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2022 at 3:02 PM, Wyatt P said:

There are some sections of the forum that are particular to releases, such as the one this is listed in which may have some great info, but the best thing to look at is official help guides IMO. I recommend checking the help.eset.com page for up-to-date info regarding support since the ones listed are official. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is supported on the latest version of 9.1.x Found here

image.png.4e3eef56510a9730c15827f1a31c368e.png

You can additionally subscribe to the ESET Newsletter for the following updates (View here):

  • New product features
  • Bugfixes
  • Known issues
  • Support resources for existing users
     

It's as if you didn't actually read what I wrote (and what you quoted). 🙄

Nothing in your post deals with the issues I raise.

You show a screenshot and a source link - however, your link goes to the following page/information (No 'Ubuntu 22.04' there):

1158139688_Screenshotfrom2022-11-0712-07-42.thumb.png.4df9c92da7f508a82161b5429d528647.png

But even if the information was updated on that page, how does this deal with the point of 'pro-active, timely, and professional communication'?

Furthermore, as of right now there is still no information on https://support-feed.eset.com/news/ or on https://support-feed.eset.com/advisories/ about the latest release of ESET Endpoint for Ubuntu 22.04, so why are you promoting these sources as a solution to the problem of lacking 'pro-active, timely, and professional communication'!? 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When trying to deploy the Agent to an Ubuntu 22.04 PC from ESET PROTECT server I get:

An error occurred during OpenSSL initialization, reason: required library function not found, error: 0x00001B68

Server info:

120221969_Screenshotfrom2022-11-0711-56-15.png.d3fa2ff04a9d88c3c54d750e747b2455.png

Edited by eab
missing info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, eab said:

When trying to deploy the Agent to an Ubuntu 22.04 PC from ESET PROTECT server I get:

An error occurred during OpenSSL initialization, reason: required library function not found, error: 0x00001B68

Server info:

120221969_Screenshotfrom2022-11-0711-56-15.png.d3fa2ff04a9d88c3c54d750e747b2455.png

It kinda sounds familiar to me, 
I think I ran into that issue as well when installing fresh 22.04
I think it relates to the libssl \openssl 1.1.1f libraries you need to add, without them it won't work. 

Basically it sounds like the agent won't support 22.04 as well, if only I had a way to convery that question to the R&D. 
(I preffer not to tag any admins \ staff members here. )  - Hope they will notice and escalate that. 
Might be worth going through the support channel, and hope for an answer in 2-3 days and a solution in up to 6 months  (who knows right? I can only speak out of experience on this released version. ) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...