Eset: Error Opening Files (Sorry If Re-Hash!)

Hello! I have read the standard feedback provided by Googling this issue, however, it is not clear to me whether or not I am getting the full value of ESET. When run, every line in the log, whether "Custom Scan" or "Smart Scan", ends with a message indicating that the file wasn't opened- therefore- is ESET "cleaning" anything? Please advise. Thank you. Marc

Hello and welcome Marc457!   :)

Yes ESET is cleaning/quarantining if there indeed is something that needs to be taken care of. 

Not sure, but maybe the KB article below will help and give some answers regarding the "error opening" that you see in the logs.

Blue "error opening" notifications in Computer scan log

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2155&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1384980078438

I am having the same issue, so I downloaded Malwarebytes and it found 4 Trojans. I am not a computer savvy kind of gal, but like you I paid good money to have this resolved and am left scratching my head... :/   

• Administrators

I am having the same issue, so I downloaded Malwarebytes and it found 4 Trojans. I am not a computer savvy kind of gal, but like you I paid good money to have this resolved and am left scratching my head... :/   

Since Malwarebytes also detects benign remnants such as registry keys, folders, benign data/configuration files, etc., please post a screen shot of your MBAM's quarantine with the detection name and path fully visible.

As for the error that a file couldn't be opened, in 99,9% cases it will be system files that are exclusively opened by the oper. system and other applications cannot access them or they are files you are not authorized to access due to insufficient permissions for your account.

As for the error that a file couldn't be opened, [...] or they are files you are not authorized to access due to insufficient permissions for your account.

And if this is the reason I would suggest you to run the scan as an administrator, because normally he has more rights and can access more files.

post-3952-0-49317800-1409302850_thumb.png

Edited by rugk

Thank you. However-

I am admin on this machine and owner/registrar of ESET Smart Security.... I am updated and using latest update of your product: "7.0.317.4" My "Custom Scan" option does NOT offer "Scan As Administrator". Otherwise, my screen appears just as your screenshot looks above... ?!...I am using MS Windows 7. Nothing unusual. Please assist. Thank you!  

Rugk-

PLEASE provide simple, direct explanation for HOW to send a screenshot and I will immediately comply. Please forgive my ignorance, am not a computer technician or anything of the sort.

I did however, go to the place indicated by your screenshot, above:

The "Require full administrator rights...etc" box IS and has been checked! Further, as I noted that previously I did not have the "Password protect" box checked, I went ahed just now and supplied a password. This had no effect upon the underlying issue.*

Also, in addition to the information already supplied (latest update of ESET product), please know that the 1st thing I did, was un-load, then re-load the product from the backup CD I also bought with my latest lisence in May.

Thanks for your patience with me- please provide the exact screenshot(s) you require, after explaining to me how to provide a screenshot, and hopefully we can resolve this matter.

Thank you,

Marc

*I certainly SHOULD be the "administrator" here and should plainly see that option offered among my "Custom Scan" choices.

Here is how to create a screenshot:

hxxp://wikihow.com/Take-a-Screenshot-in-Microsoft-Windows

Or there

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2727

And the password protection only protects the settings with a password (not the scans).

Edited by rugk

• Administrators

The "Scan as administrator" button should only appear if you don't have full administrator rights. Even with full administrator rights, there will always be files that cannot be scanned, such as pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys, various *.log files, etc.