Submission Of Samples Failed

Currently I'm often unable to submit a sample for analysis to ESET with ESS.

I tested it with ESS 7 and ESS BETA 8 and both failed.

Here is how I tried it:

post-3952-0-33180100-1410453144_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-55829900-1410453182_thumb.png

I also tried it with some exe files (up to 3 MB large, but also smaller files and a harmless batch file), but it also don't worked.

But the strange thing is that I got different "results":

• Often it doesn't showed anything. I know that it normally shows "File XY was send to ESET", but it doesn't showed it. And I also looked at the logs in the part "Events" and there also stands nothing that the file was send.
  • Sometimes I got this error:
    post-3952-0-06671900-1410453183_thumb.png
  • But I also got this message (in the German ESS):
    post-3952-0-83214800-1410453144_thumb.png
    (In English: 1 file could not sent to analysis.)

BTW I also noticed that in the title of the Window always stands ESET LiveGrid. I think this is an error, because it has not directly to do something with ESET LiveGrid.

post-3952-0-60718400-1410454636_thumb.png

Edited by rugk

The best and fastest way to get our samples to ESET and get them checked quickly is via samples @ eset.com.

As the built-in form is also used by people that submit more than malicious files.

Unless i'm mistaken I believe it says "live grid" as they are sent via Live Grid to ESET in some way. I don't use that sub method so i'm not sure.

OK samples @ eset.com is an alternative.

And how it is sent to ESET I don't know, but your assumption can be right.

• Administrators

Just to make sure, do you have both LiveGrid and file submissions enabled so that files could be submitted via LiveGrid? Just for clarification, LiveGrid also includes the former ThreatSense.Net system, hence the name in the caption.

On the one ESS (the BETA) LiveGrid is fully enabled, yes, on the other (the German) only the submissions of static data submission is enabled.

Just for clarification, LiveGrid also includes the former ThreatSense.Net system, hence the name in the caption.

OK this makes sense, but wouldn't a name like "Submit the sample" or similar more useful?

• 2 weeks later...

The best and fastest way to get our samples to ESET and get them checked quickly is via samples @ eset.com.

Hi,

No, this is not the best way to send a sample.

My email provider don't allow attachment with malicious content.

So I think the built in upload tool or a website for upload files for testing is much better than email !

for example: https://analysis.avira.com/en/submit or https://su.gdatasoftware.com/us/sample-submission/

Zatong

• Administrators

If you password protect the attchment, the provider won't be able to determine if the attachment contains malicious files or not. You can use the built-in form, however, since tons of innocuous files are submitted through it the best attention you'd get by submitting samples by email.

Hi,

No, this is not the best way to send a sample.

My email provider don't allow attachment with malicious content.

So I think the built in upload tool or a website for upload files for testing is much better than email !

for example: https://analysis.avira.com/en/submit or https://su.gdatasoftware.com/us/sample-submission/

Zatong

Hello,

But in ESET's case it is the fastest and best way to send in samples, as they do not currently have such website like Avira or G-Data for online sample submission.

Marcos explains above what I already said in #2 why the in-built sub function may not be the best way, especially if it is urgent.