WiFi problems with ESET Smart Security Premium

Hello, guys! 

I wish to tell you that i recently purchased and installed my Eset Antivirus Firewall. 

I ve used it for years, but this year I had very big problems with the connection of the wifi. 

Example: I work at home with my girlfriend, and when I open my laptop, I disconect her connection, then we are starting to click like crazy the reconnect tab at the wifi, we lose smtg like 10-12 min doing it before it really works. 

I thought that is smt wrong with my adapter, went to the service, nope, no problem. 

I ve uninstalled the antivirus, the wifi is working perfectly. I ve installed it again, the same problems apear. 

I would really not want to uninstall it for good, please give me a feedback on the issue. 

Thanks!

• Administrators

Please clarify what ESET product you purchased and installed. Is it ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security or ESET Smart Security Premium? The first one doesn't include a firewall so it cannot affect other than http/https network communication.

• Marcos changed the title to WiFi problems with ESET Smart Security Premium
  • Administrators

Does temporarily pausing the firewall make a difference? If so, please run the Firewall troubleshooting wizard to find out if a desired communication has been recently blocked and unblock it, if necessary. Also check Known networks in the advanced setup and try configuring your network to "Trusted network" instead of the default "Use Windows setting":

image.png

There is also a similar problem. Norton 360 was installed, in March, after changing the provider, Wifi connection disconnects began. I uninstalled norton. But his removal was not enough. After deleting, I got the Wi-Fi connection disconnected again. I will clarify, the removal was done through "uninstall or change a program". After the removal, I did not use a special tool to clean up its possible remnants in the system...
(By the way, each disconnect (and re-enabling Wi-Fi) was accompanied by an event "DNS Event ID 1014" in the windows 10 log)
Searching for DNS 1014, I saw this post https://answers.microsoft.com/ru-ru/windows/forum/all/ошибка/162b360f-8ca2-4c33-9d1f-03f4a8497e30, uninstalled the wi-fi adapter driver and ran a series of commands:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
netsh advfirewall reset

After all that was done, the disconnects stopped. I waited a day and installed Eset internet security.

There were no problems. But after a day or two, Wi-Fi disconnects reappeared.

I have established a vpn connection (in the router) for my laptop. The second day has already passed, there are no problems with disconnecting-connecting. What's happening?

Sanctions? Router problems? With a provider?

Edited by STHoBs

By the way. There were no communication breaks through the wired connection.

All network settings in Eset are set by default.

Disabled VPN a few hours ago. Caught a Wi-Fi connection failure

The Firewall Troubleshooting Wizard didn't block Anything

https://imgur.com/KKlzBex

I'll try this option. 

try configuring your network to "Trusted network" instead of the default "Use Windows setting":

I would update the drivers of the wireless adapter and then if possible update the firmware of the router as well.  Of course if the router is a third party bought by yourself you'll be left to the support of the your isp for this.

Selecting a "trusted network" did not help. Wi-fi connection dropped again.

I have unblocked these UDP ports. No network drops (disconnects) detected in 24+ hours

*Firewall filtering mode, after installing Eset IS was "auto". This is probably not correct.

4ede232bbeb3453e1b2a0c5b7af2e53f.png.c6c1910d4a10621ff674062b9d1ea27e.png

To everyone who helped me, thank you so much! 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

I resolved the problem ! 

I've uninstaled the Eset NOD .. never gonna install it again.. sorry .. i wish I could have my money back for this if possible .. 

Now my laptop works perfect, the wifi perfect, no disconnection problems or other things, connecting directly from when I enter windows. 

I'm very dissapointed !

• Administrators

If you have purchased the license just recently, it should be possible to ask for a refund. When you or somebody else encounters an issue that you are unable to resolve, I strongly recommend opening a ticket with the local ESET distributor so that developers can check logs and other diagnostic stuff necessary to determine the root cause of the issue.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, STHoBs said:

I also want to share. The actions that I performed did not help. The problem surfaced a couple of days later

As marcos suggested above I'd open a support ticket and send some logs

1 hour ago, peteyt said:

As marcos suggested above I'd open a support ticket and send some logs

I had a trial license. They won't work with me :). They only need those who have paid.

• Most Valued Members
16 hours ago, STHoBs said:

I had a trial license. They won't work with me :). They only need those who have paid.

Yeah sadly support is limited for trial users. It's worth buying a license however and they would definitely have a look at the issue

7 hours ago, peteyt said:

Yeah sadly support is limited for trial users. It's worth buying a license however and they would definitely have a look at the issue

Nice try, but no. :) I'll solve my problem myself.

• Most Valued Members
On 5/1/2022 at 7:18 PM, STHoBs said:

Nice try, but no. :) I'll solve my problem myself.

Problem is the trial will only run for 30 days

On 5/3/2022 at 9:14 PM, peteyt said:

Problem is the trial will only run for 30 days

😄

I solved my problem. The problem was in the DNS addresses on the provider's side.

• 1 month later...

What about users who don't have the tech savvy to find out about providers DNS, let alone how to resolve this? ...probably a long convoluted communication with support..sigh...and so much for theEset reviews about how easy this was to install and run...

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Vicki4 said:

What about users who don't have the tech savvy to find out about providers DNS, let alone how to resolve this? ...probably a long convoluted communication with support..sigh...and so much for theEset reviews about how easy this was to install and run...

If you had a problem with DNS resolution due to your ISP, having ESET installed would not play any rule. DNS resolution would not work either.

Outgoing DNS requests are allowed by default. Only incoming multicast DNS requests are blocked:

image.png

What was blocked for the OP was incoming DNS communication.

On 6/22/2022 at 4:35 PM, Marcos said:

If you had a problem with DNS resolution due to your ISP, having ESET installed would not play any rule. DNS resolution would not work either.

Outgoing DNS requests are allowed by default. Only incoming multicast DNS requests are blocked:

image.png

What was blocked for the OP was incoming DNS communication.

Ok, well I purchased Eset Internet Security for 5 devices (1 windows and 4 android). Set up Eset Home ok. Started adding devices, got interrupted by family, when returned to pc had lost the connection. After that tried to continue with installation. Had issues not being able to install on main windows pc as wouldn't connect to eset when trying to install.

So left that and installed via google play on 2 android tablets. Since then when browsing/using internet on the tablets, getting intermittent dns errors so can't use internet, this can last from a few seconds to minutes before it connects ok. What is likely to be the issue?

I don't have a screen shot of the error, would that help?

Btw, retried adding my windows pc install, and has loaded ok now. Yet to see if same issue occurs on pc.

Hello again. I want to add.
Still, the root of the problem was the mac address. Later, by trial and error when I found out about it, I talked to a senior employee of the Internet provider and only he confirmed the information that I need to register a fake poppy address in my personal router (I don’t use the provider’s router).

none of the other employees by phone or those who came to my house, to replace the ONU equipment (converter from optics to ethernet) , they did not talk about it, everyone was leaning towards a bad wi-fi connection

The first randomly generated mac address did not work (there were problems), it turned out with the second one. Everything is fine now, there are no mistakes. What I understood from the conversation is that there is some kind of binding by mac addresses...(long story). There were no such problems on the old provider, but on the new one, they appeared immediately.