ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 6.0.361.1 is not using the correct path when files are placed in quarantine.

ijskonijn

ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 6.0.361.1 is not using the correct path when files are placed in quarantine.
Because of this it is not possible to restore them, or one must manually designate it back to the right place.
I think it's a serious bug as NOD32 isn't capable to show the correct path of files placed in quarantine.
I'm now using a trial version, but this could be a reason for me not to buy it.
A correct path is the very least that one would expect.
Is ESET aware of this problem?

I've got four hard drives. 2 by sata and 2 by eSATA.
Here's the front section of some paths (there were 27):
\Device\ShadowMount5\Documents and Settings\Freddy2\Mijn documenten\Downloads\ ........
F:\Total Uninstall\setup.exe

For instance the files that started with F should be N:\F\ ....... . Namely F was a foldername in partition N:\, so the path was all wrong.

None of the files could be restored automatically, only manually.

Second problem. In the "Tools" window I see at "Quarantine", Number of quarantined objects: 1.

But there is no object in Quarantine (I restored/deleted everything) ??

Third problem. When i do a manual scan of folder/file with the right mouse button and select "Scan with ESET NOD32 Antivirus", it will find a virus (it's a testing folder of me) but NOD32 don't clean it up (standard settings).
But when i select the same map through "Computer scan" > "Custom scan" it will find the same virus and put it in quarantine.
So manual scanning files/folders with the right mouse button and select "Scan with ESET NOD32 Antivirus isn't working properly.

Fourth problem. When i exclude for instance N:\*.* it is not possible to scan something (file, folder, ...) in this partition manually (right mouse button ...).

With another antivirus software I've tried this was possible.
I find it useful to exclude something (for instance a partition) from automatically scanning, but if i want to scan something in this partition (like a file, folder, ...) it must be possible.

Edited by ijskonijn

• Administrators

I've got four hard drives. 2 by sata and 2 by eSATA.

Here's the front section of some paths (there were 27):

\Device\ShadowMount5\Documents and Settings\Freddy2\Mijn documenten\Downloads\ ........

F:\Total Uninstall\setup.exe

I'm not familiar with this type of mount path and Google didn't yield any useful results either. Will inquire our engineers about it but it seems to me non-standard.

Second problem. In the "Tools" window I see at "Quarantine", Number of quarantined objects: 1.

But there is no object in Quarantine (I restored/deleted everything) ??

That's probably because every account has it's own quarantine and gui shows total number of quarantined files in all accounts.

Third problem. When i do a manual scan of folder/file with the right mouse button and select "Scan with ESET NOD32 Antivirus", it will find a virus (it's a testing folder of me) but NOD32 don't clean it up (standard settings).

But when i select the same map through "Computer scan" > "Custom scan" it will find the same virus and put it in quarantine.

So manual scanning files/folders with the right mouse button and select "Scan with ESET NOD32 Antivirus isn't working properly.

That's because you chose to scan files without cleaning them. Cleaning is run from the Advanced options submenu by default (this was first reversed in v7 beta).

Fourth problem. When i exclude for instance N:\*.* it is not possible to scan something (file, folder, ...) in this partition manually (right mouse button ...).

With another antivirus software I've tried this was possible.

I find it useful to exclude something (for instance a partition) from automatically scanning, but if i want to scan something in this partition (like a file, folder, ...) it must be possible.

If you exclude a folder or files(s) from scanning, they will not be scanned by any of the proteciton modules, including the on-demand scanner.

I'm not familiar with this type of mount path and Google didn't yield any useful results either. Will inquire our engineers about it but it seems to me non-standard.

The eSATA-connections are nothing special, If that's what you mean with non-standard.

That's probably because every account has it's own quarantine and gui shows total number of quarantined files in all accounts.

There are two accounts. In both accounts are no files in quarantine.

That's because you chose to scan files without cleaning them. Cleaning is run from the Advanced options submenu by default (this was first reversed in v7 beta).

I do not fully understand what you mean.

Do you mean that it is not possible to clean a file when scanned with the right mouse button (and select "Scan with ESET NOD32 Antivirus)?

And, what do you mean with "Advanced options submenu by default (this was first reversed in v7 beta)." Which advanced options?

If you exclude a folder or files(s) from scanning, they will not be scanned by any of the proteciton modules, including the on-demand scanner.

As I mentioned earlier, it can be useful to provide the possibility with the on-demand scanner to scan files in excluded partition(s) or folders.

Maybe an idea for a new feature?

I've done an uninstall in safe mode with the following Eset uninstaller: hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289&locale=en_US
After this I reinstalled Eset again.
However, the problem with the quarantine object stays the same. In the "Tools" window I still see at "Quarantine", Number of quarantined objects: 1.
But, no object in Quarantine at both accounts.

Either your uninstaller does not remove everything so I can start with a clean install, or something is wrong with your product.

I thought this was an official Eset forum where Eset professionals offering help to solve problems, but in 3 days I've received any response.

• Administrators

However, the problem with the quarantine object stays the same. In the "Tools" window I still see at "Quarantine", Number of quarantined objects: 1.

But, no object in Quarantine at both accounts.

Search for *.ndf files under c:\users or c:\documents and settings. Maybe you didn't look into the NetworkService or LocalService folders.

I thought this was an official Eset forum where Eset professionals offering help to solve problems, but in 3 days I've received any response.

This forum is not meant to be a replacement for Customer Care. It's meant for sharing knowledge among ESET users and to provide assistance with issues that can be solved reasonably quickly. For issues where further logs are required and that may require numerous iterations with a support personnel, we strongly recommend contacting Customer Care.

Search for *.ndf files under c:\users or c:\documents and settings. Maybe you didn't look into the NetworkService or LocalService folders.

I've looked nowhere. I've just run the uninstaller.

This forum is not meant to be a replacement for Customer Care. It's meant for sharing knowledge among ESET users and to provide assistance with issues that can be solved reasonably quickly. For issues where further logs are required and that may require numerous iterations with a support personnel, we strongly recommend contacting Customer Care.

Sorry, misunderstanding from me.