Automatic Product Updates

I upgraded to Eset Protect V9 a month or so ago. At the top of the main window it says that automatic product updates will be enabled for your network after a certain date. What exactly does this refer to? I know in the eset AV endpoint v9 and file server v8 policy that i can disable automatic updates for the endpoints(i know security updates will always be installed) but what does the message refer to? Will the actual eset protect server (and management agent) also be automatically updated?

I already have the auto update toggle off in my endpoint policies...does the message refer to the auto update toggle in my current policies will be enabled on its own?

The entire automatic update process may make sense t the Eset staff, but your documentation has some holes in it for exactly which products auto update , exactly how and scenarios,etc....I am fine with auto product updates in some scenarios but reading some of the topics regarding auto updates, you have some admins on edge due to lack of total control over how and when your product updates

Edited by slarkins

• Administrators

All new products update automatically, including the management agent. Automatic update is fully under your control; you can specify the highest version in the auto-update policy at which automatic updates will stop. Or you can disable automatic updates with the exception of security and stability updates.

Since a new version of Endpoint v9 was released just last week, it will take about 30 days before we start distributing it automatically. Program updates are installed seamlessly after the next computer restart so they don't interrupt users at work.

Does the actual ESET Protect server fall under the auto update? Will the server itself perform updates to the ESET protect server software? Or is the automatic updates just for endpoints and agents?

Yeah..i saw a new V9 endpoint security version came out on 3/24...ironically...the day i updated the last v7 endpoint to V9(spent last 3 weeks updating all the endpoints from 7 to 9)....its a never ending battle

Edited by slarkins

• ESET Staff

Hello, automatic updates apply only to the "ESET PROTECT Cloud", which is a cloud service, and is maintained by ESET. Currently, the automatic updates apply for Endpoints (regardless of the management server version) and Agents (agents should be automatically updated to latest version compatible with the currently running management server). 

Got it....so what does the message mean? I already have the auto update toggle off in all my endpoint policies....does it mean ttat after the date listed in the console, that the endpoint policies will toggle the auto update option on by itself...or will it remain off? I assume that toggle in the policy is the new auto update feature for the endpoint updates

If policies have auto update off...what exactly will happen on April xx when auto updates are enabled(according to message in top admin view)