How To Block Sharing Documents Only, With Home Group?

I don't want to share documents with my Home Group, but allow everything else...?

This was easy with my old Win7 firewall- Just untick documents...

I got confused in advanced FW rules setup, and Canceled!

How do I do this?

Edited by scottls59901

• Administrators

I couldn't find any option to disable document sharing in Windows firewall setup, only file sharing in general. File sharing for a particular network can be enabled / disabled upon a new network detection when you can choose between Allow sharing and Strict protection.

• Most Valued Members

Maybe these links from MS will help you accomplish what you want:

hxxp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/keep-specific-files-and-folders-from-being-shared-with-a-homegroup

To prevent specific files or folders from being shared (after creating or joining a homegroup)
  1. Click the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then click your user name.
  2. Navigate to the file or folder you want to exclude from sharing, and then select it.

3. Do one of the following:

• To prevent the file or folder from being shared with anyone, in the toolbar, click Share with, and then click Nobody.

• To share the file or folder with some people but not others, in the toolbar, click Share with, click Specific people, select each person you want to share with, and then click Add. Click Share when you are finished.

• To change the level of access to a file or folder, in the toolbar, click Share with, and then select either Homegroup (Read) or Homegroup (Read/Write).

hxxp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/homegroup-help#homegroup-start-to-finish=windows-7&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1

HomeGroup from start to finish

If the above doesn't provide your answers take a look at the following Google search:

https://www.google.com/#q=block+sharting+of+specific+documents+in+windows+seven+home+group\

I couldn't find any option to disable document sharing in Windows firewall setup, only file sharing in general. File sharing for a particular network can be enabled / disabled upon a new network detection when you can choose between Allow sharing and Strict protection.

I had the ESS FW set to Public on my desktop, but was having  Internet not found  issues on my laptop?

When I then set the FW to Network, the internet issues went away, but slowed my laptop with the file sharing...

Now how do I now set the ESS FW to Strict protection, and hope internet issues don't come back?