Gui on (Terminal) Servers

Hello,

As advised in your KB, we have disabled the gui (set to Terminal) on all of our Terminal Servers.

This means that the users on the Terminal Servers will not receive a (popup) notification when they open malicious e-mails, websites, or executables. Because of this the awareness amongst the users of these dangers will not grow, because they are not notified when they click on for example a malicious link.

What would be the consequence if the gui would be enabled? Would this have impact on the performance of the terminal server?

Also, I noticed that the Endpoint Antivirus and Security have also an option to set the Gui to:

Minimal ( The graphical user interface is running, but only notifications are displayed to the user)
Manual (Graphical user interface is not started automatically on logon. Any user may start it manually.)
Silent (No notifications or alerts will be displayed. Graphical user interface can only be started by the Administrator.)

What is the reason that ESET Server Security does not have these options for the gui?

• Administrators

To my best knowledge disabling gui on terminal servers is recommended to keep memory consumption low. However, since egui_proxy.exe doesn't consume much memory it should be ok to keep gui running unless hundreds or more users are logged in at a time.

Thanks for your respons @Marcos

In that case I will try and pilot with the gui on. It would be nice if the gui could be set to minimal (where users only get notifications onscreen).

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Markwd said:

In that case I will try and pilot with the gui on. It would be nice if the gui could be set to minimal (where users only get notifications onscreen).

It's possible that gui will take up about 3 MB of RAM per user and about 10 MB will be shared so memory consumption will not be an issue.

• ESET Moderators
12 hours ago, Markwd said:

As advised in your KB, we have disabled the gui (set to Terminal) on all of our Terminal Servers.

which KB specifically, we may want to update with the info from this thread

Hello @foneil,

I was referring to this kb:

https://help.eset.com/efsw/8.0/en-US/work_ui_disable_gui.html

The title "Disable GUI on Terminal Server" and the text "This is usually undesirable on Terminal Servers" implicates to me, that it is adviced to turn off the gui on Terminal Servers.

Also the term "Terminal" mode for the setting of the gui implicates that you want set this mode for Terminal Servers.
I would still prefer the modes for Server Security to be the same as being used in the Endpoint software for Workstations (Full, Minimal, Manual, Silent).

Edited by Markwd

Thanks!

So both Online Help as the KB suggest to disable the gui entirely and do not warn the users when they open malicious content? In my opinion you would want the user to be informed immediately as they open malicious content to create a certain level of awareness. But you do not want the users to mess around in the gui itself. As I see it, only the option to set the GUI to Minimal (the way Endpoint Protection has) would solve that?