Endpoint doesn't auto-update to 9.0.2046

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

All our ESET Endpoint Security clients are currently on 9.0.2032.6 (which they did via auto-updating), but they don't want to update to 9.0.2046.

All the clients have the built-in Auto-updates policy applied to them on the ESET Protect server.

But when I go to "Advanced setup" -> "Update" -> "Product updates" on one of the clients, I see that Auto-updates is off.

Is this a known issue?
And is there a way to get them auto-updating again?

• Administrators
  • Solution

Automatic update to newer versions starts to be distributed about one month after the release. V9.0.2046 has been released just recently on March 24 so we'll start distributing automatic update towards the end of April if no issues are reported.

We are having this same issue.

"Automatic update to newer versions starts to be distributed about one month after the release." Where is this documented?

Is there any visibility within the ESET Protect console regarding the auto-update process and where it might be within the cycle?  Is there a troubleshooting guide for this new auto-updates process?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, stevepogue said:

"Automatic update to newer versions starts to be distributed about one month after the release." Where is this documented?

https://help.eset.com/protect_cloud/en-US/auto_updates.html

Is there any visibility within the ESET Protect console regarding the auto-update process and where it might be within the cycle? 

There's no built-in counter in the product. Decisions about releasing product updates are done per version by ESET personnel.

Is there a troubleshooting guide for this new auto-updates process?

Automatic program updates are seamless; they are installed after the next computer restart. To my best knowledge there have been no issues with that so far so there are no special troubleshooting steps and they would depend on a particular issue. We believe you will not run into any issues.

https://help.eset.com/protect_cloud/en-US/auto_updates.html is the link for Cloud

https://help.eset.com/protect_admin/90/en-US/auto_updates.html is the link for Onprem

Each indicates that the product update feature will start 60 days from the notification of the functionality. Noted.

There is no statement about "newer versions starts to be distributed about one month after the release"

ESET AV 9.0.2046 was released last week.  How do we know when it will install?  We need some visibility into this process and/or the ability to control it.  We usually update about 2 weeks after release .  Looks like we will stay with our current processes.  I'll open a ticket with support about this.

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, stevepogue said:

Each indicates that the product update feature will start 60 days from the notification of the functionality. Noted.

There is no statement about "newer versions starts to be distributed about one month after the release"

There's no exact number of days; we release an automatic update when we decide it's ok to do so which may be 30-60 days after the release.

31 minutes ago, stevepogue said:

ESET AV 9.0.2046 was released last week.  How do we know when it will install? 

You can see the version of the program in the console. Also on the dashboard you see a graph with up to date and outdated versions with an option to update with a few clicks:

image.png

You can also use the Auto-updates policy to control at which version program updates will stop:

image.png

• ESET Insiders

Greater control for admins would be nice.  I agree with the OP, there is no statement anywhere about this delay. I opened up a ticket with support on Friday and got no where fast.  I finally ended up chatting with tech support who told me it would work somewhere between 48-72 hours after release.  Might want to get your support staff on board with the delay of the auto upgrade working.

Again, it would be nice to grant admins the ability to test this out sooner rather than having to wait 30-60 days.  I understand you are looking for stability etc but with this delay, the auto upgrade feature is useless to me as I normally would not wait this long to upgrade my endpoints.

• Administrators

It's possible that we'll introduce a pre-release update channel separately for product updates where new versions would be available immediately as of the release day. As for the auto-update feature being useless, well, I think you would appreciate the delay in case a serious bug is discovered shortly after the release. While we do our best to create as perfect program versions as possible and pay attention to quality, it's impossible to test products in every scenario in every possible system configuration so bugs may happen.

• ESET Insiders

I would appreciate the delay but I normally do some research prior to pushing out to endpoints.  I understand the delay, but in my opinion, 30-60 days is a bit to much. Other admins may agree or disagree I suppose based upon their individual environments.  I only said that because I would normally not wait a month or two prior to updating.  Especially when there are bugs or security issues with the software being patched.  I guess a happy medium would be nice.

I agree, 30-60 days is a bit much. Plus, having to see the big red bar of outdated products for that long drives me crazy. I usually start manually upgrading my endpoints after a few days of seeing that. As you can see, I've already started pushing it out this morning. Kind of defeats the whole "automatic update" feature.

image.png.c6516168bde46587f7e7ab7f4ec893be.png

I'm wondering if manually doing the "Update installed ESET products" task is any different than the automatic upgrade process? I've been using the manual task for years and was glad for the automatic upgrade, but the waiting...

I understand the need to release slowly in case of issues, but 30 days is a bit too much for us, and our auditors are not happy we're not updating a security software after seeing that huge red bar.

Hello, I've heard that the Auto-Update function is recommended only for small offices with a few computers.

These updates should be downloaded to computers directly from the Internet and not from the company's mirrored storage. Is that really true?

If yes, do you plan to develop "Auto-Update function for larger companies"? 

Thanks for explaining

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Raistlin5947 said:

Hello, I've heard that the Auto-Update function is recommended only for small offices with a few computers.

These updates should be downloaded to computers directly from the Internet and not from the company's mirrored storage. Is that really true?

That's not true. Program updates are mirrored in an offline repository and are cached by HTTP proxy too.

31 minutes ago, Marcos said:

That's not true. Program updates are mirrored in an offline repository and are cached by HTTP proxy too.

Can you please check it once more. I got this information yesterday. Independently from two Eset support guys.

They also said I don't have to have a new installation package in "Instalation Packages" for working Auto-Updates. 

Edited by Raistlin5947

The majority of my ESET Endpoint Clients are on 8.1.2037.9, weren't they supposed to upgrade automatically to version 9? or did that not happen?

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, rockshox said:

The majority of my ESET Endpoint Clients are on 8.1.2037.9, weren't they supposed to upgrade automatically to version 9? or did that not happen?

We haven't released an automatic update to Endpoint v9 yet. We should do so in a few weeks, about one month after the release of the latest Endpoint v9.

• ESET Insiders
On 3/29/2022 at 2:33 PM, Marcos said:

We haven't released an automatic update to Endpoint v9 yet. We should do so in a few weeks, about one month after the release of the latest Endpoint v9.

I hope that ESET changes their stance on this.

On 3/29/2022 at 10:14 AM, Marcos said:

I am new to ESET and I wanted to ask something about this.

We are using ESET on-premises.

We haven't set up an offline mirror or an HTTP-Proxy yet.
I want to know when the ESET Server says there is a newer version of EES, if our ESET server downloads that package once and the endpoints download it from our ESET server or if every endpoint downloads it from the internet.

• Administrators

If you use an HTTP proxy, the update files are cached and will be re-used by other clients after a client downloads an update.

Is there any reason why an auto-update wouldn't happen?

I have had a few freshly-built 9.0.2032.0 clients today which would normally update straight away but they don't unless there's currently an issue with this feature?

• Administrators

We haven't release an automatic update to Endpoint v9 yet. It usually takes about 30 days after the release before staggered program updates start.

Sorry, I meant to 9.0.2032.6 - this has been working fine but for a few clients today I noticed.

Is there an issue or what could stop a client from updating?