Internet Security Banking Protection not working

Hello,

i'm new to Eset Internet Security and wanted to use the Banking Protection but unfortunately it's not working on to different systems.

So at first installed Eset Internet Security 15.0.23.0 with the newest installer from Eset on Win 10 21H2 64-Bit. As default browser Firefox 98.0.2 (64-Bit) is installed.
After the installation process finished i wanted to tryout the banking protection.
So clicked on the Banking & Payment Protection (In German: ESET Sicheres Online-Banking und Bezahlen).

Instead of starting the browser i got the message: "Couldn't load XPCOM". After this message i deinstalled firefox and reinstalled it again. Again the same message appeared.
Next step i opend ESET deactivated the Banking & Payment Protection, restarted the computer, activated it again an restarted the computer.
Clicked on Banking & Payment Protection and again "Couldn't load XPCOM".

Next step : I opened ESET -> Settings ->Security Tools -> Secure all Browsers and tried to start Chrome. I wanted to see if any Browser works. So after opening Chrome i got the message chrome.exe application error 0xc0000022. So next i tried Edge -> Not starting, no error code. So i deactivated Secure all browsers restarted the computer and all browser are starting normal again.
I thought maybe there is someparts of the old internet security i installed before left and completly reinstalled the Systems. Formated the Disk, fresh windows install and everything new.
After this i repeated the steps i did on the old system.
Results:
Firefox: Couldn't load XPCOM

Chrome: 0xc0000022

Edge: Not starting, no error message.

Is the anything left i can do? Or is this a problem in ESET 15.0.23.0?
If you need any further information please let know.

Best regards
Dirtrunner

The XPCOM error is related to Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1229392 . As the article notes, it is related to a corrupted update or profile.

Uninstalling Firefox does not remove the existing profile. It must be manually removed. As such when Firefox is reinstalled, it would be using a corrupted profile/s if that were the case.

As far as Eset Banking & Payment Protection goes, it uses a separate Firefox profile than the one used by Firefox app.

Post the logs @Marcos requested and hopefully, he can determine what the issue is.

Just to clarify it: Its not only Firefox. I also tried Chrome and Edge. And i also used a complete new systems with completly fresh installed Windows etc.

eis_logs.zip

Edited by dirtrunner

As we await @Marcos getting back to you, temporarily disable B&PP Enhanced memory protection per the below screen shot. There might be some unknown memory conflict with your PC. See if this eliminates the issue.

Eset_BPP.thumb.png.775fe08aaa48a2ea7c2f3b3f2b4dcfe0.png

Edited by itman

There's also a possible malware angle to this behavior. Turla has used XPCOM to infect browsers: https://www.welivesecurity.com/2017/06/06/turlas-watering-hole-campaign-updated-firefox-extension-abusing-instagram/ .

The fact that no browsers work in Eset B&PP mode makes this a larger possibility. Eset Enhanced memory protection might be interfering with XPCOM activity resulting in B&PP failing to start the browser.

10 hours ago, itman said:

As we await @Marcos getting back to you, temporarily disable B&PP Enhanced memory protection per the below screen shot. There might be some unknown memory conflict with your PC. See if this eliminates the issue.

Eset_BPP.thumb.png.775fe08aaa48a2ea7c2f3b3f2b4dcfe0.png

I deactivated the "Enhanced memory protection" and tried to start the Safe Browser clicking the "Banking & Payment Protection" Icon on the desktop still got the warning "Couldn't load XPCOM".

• Administrators

The logs showed no browser running. Please launch Firefox (the standard, not the secured browser), then collect fresh ELC logs.

Also it could be helpful to get a Procmon log from time when you attempt to launch the secured browser via the desktop shortcut.

26 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The log didn't show any browser running. Does the issue actually go away after temporarily disabling Banking and payment protection and rebooting the machine?

image.png

If not, does temporarily uninstalling ESET make a difference?

If i start firefox the "normal" way by clicking the the firefox icon browsing is fine. But if i want to start the Safe Browser by clicking the "Banking & Payment Protection" Icon on the desktop get the warning "Couldn't load XPCOM" and the browser doesn't start.
Therefore i couldn't start the safe browser and so the running Safe Browser can't be seen (I think).

Or did i got it wrong what i should do?

Screenshot.PNG

• 1 month later...

What happened next? What's the solution? I have the same problem.

Wie ging es weiter? Wie lautet die Lösung? Habe das gleiche Problem.

• Administrators
On 3/27/2022 at 11:55 AM, dirtrunner said:

Here is the EIS Log and the ProcLog:) ProcLog includes trying to start the Safe Browser.

You have both LiveGrid reputation and feedback system disabled. Please enable both (or at least the reputation system) and try again.

• Administrators
On 5/14/2022 at 7:12 PM, Elric said:

What happened next? What's the solution? I have the same problem.

Please carry on as follows:

1. With browsers closed, enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  2. Launch a browser and reproduce the issue
  3. Stop logging
  4. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here (only the ESET staff can access attachments).