How To Prevent Auto Cleaning

Page42

I just installed ESET NOD32 on one W7 machine.  I will soon be putting it on a second computer as well.

I am learning how to configure the settings the way I prefer them.

My preference, whenever an AV finds malware, is that it asks me first what to do, rather than trying to clean it first.  I have been bitten by security programs with corrupted definitions that flag (and subsequently try to clean or quarantine) valid system files.  So I like the option to decide myself what the AV does with what it finds.

It looks to me like ESET does not auto clean items found during scans.  That's great.

But what about infected files found in real-time?  Or in email?  What is the default condition for ESET with those files?  And where is the setting for that?

TY, I appreciate the assistance.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Here are instructions on how to configure ESET NOD32 Antivirus to prompt you when it comes across a malicious object:

ESET Knowledgebase #910 "How do I change the scanner's default response to a virus detection?"

That particular KB article just shows how to make the change to the real-time scanner in ESET NOD32 Antivirus, but the same change can be repeated in the configuration options for on-demand scans, the startup scan, scanning email and so forth.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Here are instructions on how to configure ESET NOD32 Antivirus to prompt you when it comes across a malicious object:

ESET Knowledgebase #910 "How do I change the scanner's default response to a virus detection?"

That particular KB article just shows how to make the change to the real-time scanner in ESET NOD32 Antivirus, but the same change can be repeated in the configuration options for on-demand scans, the startup scan, scanning email and so forth.

Very helpful.  Thank you.  

• Administrators

We strongly recommend using automatic cleaning. Thing is that it's not always possible to display an alert window with action selection so in such case only access to a malicious file would be blocked but the file would stay intact on the disk.

We strongly recommend using automatic cleaning. Thing is that it's not always possible to display an alert window with action selection so in such case only access to a malicious file would be blocked but the file would stay intact on the disk.

Again, having been victimized by what amounted to false positives in the past (not by ESET, this is my first time using ESET), wherein critical system files were flagged and quarantined, I am very much in favor of not doing auto cleaning.

I am interested in hearing more about situations where "it's not always possible to display an alert window".  When would that be?

Also, I am using Sandboxie as my chief line of defense, and in all honesty, because of its strong capabilities, I don't have the same sense of urgency about AVs that I once had. 

I am interested in hearing more about situations where "it's not always possible to display an alert window".  When would that be?

E.g when the Gamer Mode is activated.

E.g when the Gamer Mode is activated.

I just wanted to add this for future readers....

Gamer mode is a feature for users that demand uninterrupted usage of their software, do not wish to be disturbed by pop-up windows and want to minimize CPU usage. Gamer mode can also be used during presentations that cannot be interrupted by antivirus activity. By enabling this feature, all pop-up windows are disabled and the activity of the scheduler will be completely stopped. System protection still runs in the background but does not demand any user interaction.

Edited by SweX