How to scan Archives in Real-time protection?

Just noted that Eset does not scan new archive files that are e.g. downloaded via Browser. 

• Is there a possibility to enable archive scanning for real-time protection?  
  • Otherwise, I noted that macOS provides "folderactions" that can be configured via automator. I can configure that the Eset-App opens specific file types that are newly created in the download folder. This scans the new deined file extensions such as zip files, but does not automatically clean such. Can such be changed to "scan&clean" instead of just "scan"?

Thanks a lot!

• Administrators

It is not possible to scan archives by real-time protection. Imagine it would take seconds or even hours to scan whole archives (e.g. iso files) upon access; the system would become sluggish or would freeze completely, preventing you from doing anything.

This scans the new deined file extensions such as zip files, but does not automatically clean such.

Unsure as to how this is done. Zip files can be scanned only by the on-demand scanner so I assume you somehow run an on-demand scan of downloaded files?

9 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It is not possible to scan archives by real-time protection. Imagine it would take seconds or even hours to scan whole archives (e.g. iso files) upon access; the system would become sluggish or would freeze completely, preventing you from doing anything.

You're right. But there would be the possibility to set a scan limit in the real-time scanner. There is already a section "Archive Scan Limits"

9 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Unsure as to how this is done. Zip files can be scanned only by the on-demand scanner so I assume you somehow run an on-demand scan of downloaded files?

It definitely triggers an on-demand scanner. It is the same as when you right-click and "open with" ESET Cyber Security.app".... Can this be changed to use "scan&clean" instead like available in the context menu? Or is there a terminal command that I can use?

• 1 month later...

That's not really the solution to enforce such for other users...

As I understand, it's not possible to automate such with Eset then...

• 2 weeks later...

There is a regression bug I reported related to this with .dmg files not being scanned at all by real time scanner (was fixed a few years ago and an update broke it again a few years ago).

I would think it would be worth scanning archives, could be done as a separate process and using smart scan capabilities not using all the CPU if needed.

Edited by Chas4